Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why would someone do this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IFVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Don't know if this is the right section to post in but it involves a 61 so I am posting here... (feel free to move). So i picked up two split buses the other day and the guy gave me his stash of other vw parts. One is a "frame" that appears to have come from a 1961 beetle. However it appears that someone other than the past owner mounted a type 3 beam to the front.

Any experiences on this? Is the type 3 beam wider?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cn63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

I didn't know that a type 3 beam would bolt up to a type 1. But, if I had to hazard a guess, maybe they wanted the ability to raise or lower the front without welding in adjusters?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Are you sure it isn't a type-3 chassis?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Shocked
Wow, four bolts through a hollow stamped axle frame? You can see the dents in the frame from torqueing them down. Or maybe from going over bumps? One has already pulled out.

I think I see a shift coupler cover at the rear of the tunnel, so I think Type 1.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

IFVandal wrote:
Don't know if this is the right section to post in but it involves a 61 so I am posting here... (feel free to move). So i picked up two split buses the other day and the guy gave me his stash of other vw parts. One is a "frame" that appears to have come from a 1961 beetle. However it appears that someone other than the past owner mounted a type 3 beam to the front.

Any experiences on this? Is the type 3 beam wider?

[URL=http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/IFVandal/media/20160327_160944_zpslxzqitiu.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Yes the answer is because it seemed like the right thing to do. People have been hacking on the VW since the beginning because they were cheap because they were plentiful. Looks like a nice collection of parts including a split case transaxle might be ok if it's not been left in the water. Keep what you need sell the rest.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Yikes!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

someone wanted the type 3 brakes all the way around...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

I would imagine that this mod is what rendered this chassis to the condition it is now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

That is a Type 1 pan and I would NOT recommend using that beam on it.
ashley froud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Dear sir; The type 3 axle on that type 1 chassis is indeed a factory installation. I had one myself in 1974 on a 67 beetle. The spring broke while I was in Iowa, and I traded a VW employee even steven, on a 66 to get home to Chicago. We were both happy with the deal. He put it on the rack, and it had rusted along the bottom seam. I think it is an unusual front beam, but it is factory. I loved that yellow 67 beetle. Smile P.S. Thank you for those photos, I looked all day for a pic of that oddball beam axle. I thought I was getting "old timer's" disease. And i'm only 63. Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

That beam is factory -- for a Type 3. They where not installed on Beetles by VW ever. You can actually see how it doesn't fit on the frame head properly and how tightening the bolts is crushing it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

ashley froud wrote:
Dear sir; The type 3 axle on that type 1 chassis is indeed a factory installation. I had one myself in 1974 on a 67 beetle. The spring broke while I was in Iowa, and I traded a VW employee even steven, on a 66 to get home to Chicago. We were both happy with the deal. He put it on the rack, and it had rusted along the bottom seam. I think it is an unusual front beam, but it is factory. I loved that yellow 67 beetle. Smile P.S. Thank you for those photos, I looked all day for a pic of that oddball beam axle. I thought I was getting "old timer's" disease. And i'm only 63. Very Happy

Sorry, the first of April was almost two months ago.
Wink
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

I'd do it to make a pan that was missing its front end easy to shuffle around.
ashley froud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Gentlemen The front beam on the type 1 chassis is NOT a type 3 ! It only looks like a Type 3. It is a rare alternate type 1. When compared with a type 3, you can see the difference.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Type3 beam ;

I am working on a project that uses a Type 3 engine . I was thinking of using the fully automatic transmission . That would have given me a 4 lug rear end . If I wanted the front disc brakes and the matching 4 lug in the front I would have had to adapt the type 3 front end . I can see how this might have been one way to go .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Fri May 27, 2016 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

ashley froud wrote:
Gentlemen The front beam on the type 1 chassis is NOT a type 3 ! It only looks like a Type 3. It is a rare alternate type 1. When compared with a type 3, you can see the difference.

I'll bite... got any documentation, references, pics, or any other type of proof to back up this claim other than a single personal anecdote? Not trying to be confrontational; I've learned over the years that when it comes to many things in life you never can say never (especially in regards a mechanical contraption built by the millions and used world wide), just that this is something I've never heard of nor seen: a stamped/pressed steel Type 1 front beam in the same style as a Type 3.
ashley froud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

No. I can only tell you what I saw when I was 21 years old, and stood under the rack and saw a scene that burned it's self in to my mind, that is still fresh these 42 years later. This yellow beetle had NOT been tampered with after factory. Some BEETLES did come with this beam axle, not many perhaps, but some DID. The pic in this blog show one. This was a FACTORY installation.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

You use this pic to prove that SOME had it, and then say because SOME had it, that THIS one was factory.

Google "tautology"
ashley froud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

I don't say prove, I only contribute my observations and experience.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls, honestly. But a claim of something that no one else has ever seen, and that has no known documentation in this age of find-it-all-on-the-internet, is just not credible without evidence.

The photo in question reveals a visible dent indicating weakness in the upper driver side bolt. Also, knowing that of necessity the Type 3 beam is hollow there, and could not have the strength to support the weight, just makes it implausible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: