Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New ratio rockers and lifters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Don't forget all the little stuff. A 16 blade fan will give you 3 or 4 hp at 4000 RPM over an engine with a 28 blade fan. I would imagine that TDE tailpipes will give you an additional hp or two. And don't forget about having your engine dyno tuned. While 1-4 hp doesn't sound like much, all these little improvements add up over time.

Cheers,

Paul

That is exactly what we said during the build of that 58hp (SAE) 1192 engine. every small detail helps, and indeed I run the TDE tailpipes. We said that every detail added 5 hp as a joke. Pay attention to detail pays off in the end result. Throwing together an engine quick and dirty is possible, but when you take time and pay attention to detail and are willing to invest, the results will be better in the end. Enjoy your build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Don't forget all the little stuff. A 16 blade fan will give you 3 or 4 hp at 4000 RPM over an engine with a 28 blade fan. I would imagine that TDE tailpipes will give you an additional hp or two. And don't forget about having your engine dyno tuned. While 1-4 hp doesn't sound like much, all these little improvements add up over time.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
fl59bug-

Here's a dyno chart that documents the benefit of each change.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While adding ratio rockers did provide more power, the biggest change was brought about by changing the manifolds and carbs. I've read that 1) the Okrasa heads are very sensitive to manifold selection, and 2) the manifolds that come with the kit aren't very good.

Cheers,

Paul

Stupid that I forgot about this... I knew the dyno result existed. So it does not really help in the low rpm range (although there is no torque figure shown) and it does help in the high RPM range, This is 1:1,25 ration so 1:1,15 is even less. For me it is not worth the 400 dollars as I will not frequently pass the 4000rpm rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Thanks. It looks like just the Okrasa kit on a 1200 pumps output up to around 46-47hp, if I'm seeing it right. That is encouraging. In my case I've got the cam which the base kit doesn't come with, so hoping I can bump that hp number up even if only slightly.

I can vouch for the fact that the supplied manifolds are not very good. I had to grind out cold weld blobs and welding wire that was sticking up into the manifold interior.

As you mentioned regarding carburetion, I believe I should see some serious gains if I can get the dual 2 barrels working right. I have the Stefi G manifolds and 26mm chokes/venturis, just need the carbs, which are coming soon.

I finally got my engine case back together with new h beam rods, rod bearings and main bearings and the WW cam and a good used gear from the 356. Took forever to get this far, but hoping to do an initial test run soon if all turns out okay.

I want to compare this souped-up 36 to my slightly modified big bore 40hp to see which I like better.

I got 48,2 DIN PS (58SAE HP)@4430rpm - 83Nm@3610rpm out of my WW okrasa kit fitted to a 1192cc 36hp engine. Using the 32 solex carbs that come with the kit, a WW Okrasa camshaft and domed later 1200 pistons. When building the engine I optimised the combustion chambers abit by using a dremel, same applies for the manifolds, removing tthe burrs in the carb and manifolds. Also using a 32mm inner diameter exhaust custom made based on original VW stamped muffler. Ran great that engine. Now upgraded to 1448 cc

Last edited by JeeWee on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:

Hey, but we had a hell of a lot of fun, we ended up at the 3rd place in the rennen, not bad for our first entry!

BTW, check
Link
diamond green oval window with nr. 82 on the car.

LOL - Great video!!! Wink

Congrats on your 3rd place. I say that Ray and I were the first Americans across the finish line...we were the only ones. ha

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Thanks. It looks like just the Okrasa kit on a 1200 pumps output up to around 46-47hp, if I'm seeing it right. That is encouraging. In my case I've got the cam which the base kit doesn't come with, so hoping I can bump that hp number up even if only slightly.

I can vouch for the fact that the supplied manifolds are not very good. I had to grind out cold weld blobs and welding wire that was sticking up into the manifold interior.

As you mentioned regarding carburetion, I believe I should see some serious gains if I can get the dual 2 barrels working right. I have the Stefi G manifolds and 26mm chokes/venturis, just need the carbs, which are coming soon.

I finally got my engine case back together with new h beam rods, rod bearings and main bearings and the WW cam and a good used gear from the 356. Took forever to get this far, but hoping to do an initial test run soon if all turns out okay.

I want to compare this souped-up 36 to my slightly modified big bore 40hp to see which I like better.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

fl59bug-

Here's a dyno chart that documents the benefit of each change.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While adding ratio rockers did provide more power, the biggest change was brought about by changing the manifolds and carbs. I've read that 1) the Okrasa heads are very sensitive to manifold selection, and 2) the manifolds that come with the kit aren't very good.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you still had a fun time!
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Well it is always good to share stupidity indeed. I rushed to get my car ready for the Petermax Muller rennen in germany. I just put the engine in the car 2 days before we had to leave. I hoped I could get a spot on the dyno bench to fine tune the Zenith 38NDIX carbs I am running. As this was not avaialble I used a SUN exhaust gas meter, and we were more or less satisfied, although I could not get cylinder nr. 2 correctly adjusted. I decided to take the gamble and drove 500 miles to the start line. Luckily the first 2 days are more about cruising then really hitting the throttle. But after 750 miles running in the engine and having done an oil change and valve adjustment, we were ready for the real 'rennen'. We started at a parking lot next to the autobahn, together with some other quick vintage speed racers we hit the autobahn. Althoug I decided to not fully put the feet down and cruised 80 miles per hour for a while, but it was very busy and I fully concentrated on the cars around me, forgetting to look at the temperature gauge. Cilinderhead temp was relatively hight, oil temp 107 degrees celcius. But due to mixture failure on cilinder 2 it damaged the piston rings in the end. So I got crankcase ventilation issues, not good. So to cut a long story short... I made the mistake where I mostly warn people for, which is not having your mixture correct / carb tune, so put it on a dyno and properly adjust your carbs.
Hey, but we had a hell of a lot of fun, we ended up at the 3rd place in the rennen, not bad for our first entry!

BTW, check
Link
diamond green oval window with nr. 82 on the car.

Last edited by JeeWee on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:
Currently my engine is apart, due to a (stupid) engine failure. My setup is a 72mm dpr crank with 80mm AA pistons, WW okrasa heads, 33x28mm valves and the WW Okrasa camshaft with back then new german quality lifters, so it is broken in already. Running 38mm Zenith NDIX carbs.

so currently I run the stock 1:1 lifter setup and the motor ran fine honestly, good low end power, great cruisability.

Now I am in doubt if it is worth investing the roughly 400 dollars to go for a 1:1,15 setup. What would be the gain? And what would be the downside? More ratio is more stress and wear on valvetrain/camshaft/lifters?

So that we all can learn from it, are you able to specify what the failure was?

thanks - Ted
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

It would be nice to know exactly how much additional power the 1.15 rockers would add over and above the 1:1 stock assemblies, and also how much the .345" lift cam adds to the basic WW Okrasa kit, which I'm told is worth perhaps 12hp on its own.

I imagine though there are just too many variables involved including the bore/stroke being used (my is still stock 77x64), cam choice, intake and exhaust system.

I have the 32pbic duals that came with the kit but purchased some Okrasa solex/weber dual 2bbl manifolds and am planning to sleeve down and rejet a set of 36 or 40 webers and see what happens.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Currently my engine is apart, due to a (stupid) engine failure. My setup is a 72mm dpr crank with 80mm AA pistons, WW okrasa heads, 33x28mm valves and the WW Okrasa camshaft with back then new german quality lifters, so it is broken in already. Running 38mm Zenith NDIX carbs.

so currently I run the stock 1:1 lifter setup and the motor ran fine honestly, good low end power, great cruisability.

Now I am in doubt if it is worth investing the roughly 400 dollars to go for a 1:1,15 setup. What would be the gain? And what would be the downside? More ratio is more stress and wear on valvetrain/camshaft/lifters?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

If I can ever get my case halves clean and WW cam united to the old cam gear, I'm getting ready to assemble and hopefully fire up my 36hp with dual port Okrasa kit, stock crank w/ new main bearings, AA 36hp h-beam rods with new rod bearings, WW performance cam, new set of WW 36hp one piece pushrods and lifters and stock but brand new 77mm WW pistons and cylinders.

I believe that these days AA sells the same 1.15 rockers previously only offered through Concept1 at the time the OP created this thread, so I'm tempted to purchase them and try them out. I don't want to bite off too much at first since tuning the "new" engine will be in and of itself enough of a chore. I'm still not quite clear on whether I'll need to disassemble my new P/Rs and lifters and shorten the pushrods though.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Great. I installed them and found no strange impression about it. Later I read that was not possible so I asked. Will do some test
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

No risk
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

hallo, i am using this lifters with stock cam and stock pushrod setup. how much is the risk in using them without special pushrods?
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I will look for thst . I imagine it Will only be a small difference from the standard rockers? .
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Make sure you're valve springs aren't binding and check your valve geometry. If it's too far off, you may of to use two piece lifters (https://aapistons.com/products/vw-36hp-2-piece-lifters-type-1-4-porsche-356-912-914-8pcs).

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Has anyone got advice on these rockers . Ive bought some for my already built 30hp motor what exactly am i needing to do before i can run them.

Im still all fairly new to all of this you see any help would be great
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I'm using them on my 1397 build (that is if we're talking about the AA Performance 1.15:1 rockers) that has a WW hi-po cam. Engine has been run for break in only, so I don't have any real feedback on them yet, other than that the break-in went well. It'll be about a month before the engine is in the car and driving.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: