Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with my 71 Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Lights -CHECK.
Grills - CHECK
Turn Signals - CHECK

Getting the turn signal seals to sit right - Ugh! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Just finished the glove box lid and about 90% of the removable apron. All I have left to do on the apron is mounting an electric trunk solenoid on the bottom of it.

I also just received the fiberglass dash and center console, it looks so smooth I might end up not putting the glove box back in... Very Happy

Now back to wiring the entire car...
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Amongst a few other things I've been working on here is something I thought you might like.

The solenoid is a standard trunk solenoid from Directed Electronics. The guide tube is a steel brake line that I inserted a lubricated vinyl tube inside of and just bent to shape with a brake line tubing bender and the rubber grommet is a standard round one inserted in an oblong hole I cut for the guide tube.

aspirit5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Really nice job.
Looking forward to see how the final job look like.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

aspirit5 wrote:
Really nice job.
Looking forward to see how the final job look like.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to that too but building these cars is 40% sourcing parts, 50% waiting for delivery and 10% work.

Right now I'm looking for a cream colored velour headliner so I can get the windows in and that seems to be more rarer than an honest politician...
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Amazing work Jes! It looks like a much, much, MUCH more refined version of my ghia, lol! It makes me want to match your quality until I see my wallet Laughing .

Good luck getting everything together. I will be waiting to see your finished product (though they are never really finished).

Keep us updated!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Hey Bloku!

Trust me, I'm nothing special. You can do the same maybe even better. It's not really about the money it's more imagination and borrowing from ideas from newer cars.

The battery tray was rotted and the original apron was bent when the car at some point got kicked in the ass.. I ordered a new tray and apron and welded about $3 worth of nuts on the other sheet metal to make it removable.

The trunk solenoid and the piece of break line was about another $30. The labor was free Very Happy

I just like incorporating modern features without straying too far from what makes the car what it is.

Maybe better than what someone might think my car is, is inspiring someone else to do something they never thought they could and have fun doing it.

So don't let the thought that nice = expensive discourage you.

By the way, the rubber edging around the apron was left over from the weather stripping from the rear deck. Cool Very Happy
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

One step closer...

Finished mounting the struts for the rear deck lid this weekend. I wanted them completely out of the way so this is what I came up with.

When I pop the lock it slowly opens up on its own and closing it is effortless. Feels completely balanced. I guessed as close as I could the correct strut force and I'm really happy how it feels.

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Just finished the hood struts. I'm so glad I don't need to use a towel covered broom stick anymore Laughing

I'm going to start fitting a pattern to cover everything with some dark gray trunk liner carpet and make a removable piece to cover everything behind the dash before I get the new wire harness in.

The rest of the pieces for the engine will be here next Wednesday but the distributor is still in production at MSD and wont ship until mid August Crying or Very sad

Cant wait to have all the parts here to finally put this in! Not used to doing a "Mail Order" build. Seems like I wait a week for every nut and bolt...

Have a great weekend everybody
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Great build, like the details and the colour. One thing though. Are those urethane transaxle mounts? If they are I would replace them with some Rhino mounts from CB. There is no torsional strength in urethane and they will fall apart the first time you get on the gas hard and side step the clutch. If they aren't please disregard.

brad
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Great build, like the details and the colour. One thing though. Are those urethane transaxle mounts? If they are I would replace them with some Rhino mounts from CB. There is no torsional strength in urethane and they will fall apart the first time you get on the gas hard and side step the clutch. If they aren't please disregard.

brad

Thanks Brad for the complements, always great to hear someone else enjoys it. I just seen you got yourself a Ghia!

I'm really not worried about the mounts though. I installed one of Eyeball Engineering's rock solid mid mounts and a set of their torque bars.

I don't think the transaxel is going anywhere but I agree with you that without those I think you are 100% correct!

What do you think?

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

The midmount is a great add as is the bar. The only thing I would question is having it braced solid in the middle and having the urethane mounts at the bellhousing. If they fail and the transaxle "twists" it will do so right at the bearing carrier instead of the whole thing twisting on the front mount. I don't know maybe I'm overthinking this. I've just seen those mounts fail a bunch of times and hate seeing guys do things twice or buggering something up due to bad parts. Ultimately it's your ride, and you know your driving style. All my mounts are steel.......... Laughing

brad
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

i have the empi red urethane mounts on my ghia with a 2110cc. they havent fallen apart yet and at first i didnt have a traction bar installed. i have also launched it pretty hard with and without the traction bar.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Brad: I thought about it and I figured it's not a daily driver but who knows, the engine is not in yet...

I appreciate you looking out though. What's available that is better than what I have short of solids. I'm afraid I would go crazy from the engine vibration with those.

scotty: How long have you had yours in for? I have a healthy 2180, would you run these on a bigger motor than you had? These are Bugpack
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I've installed CBs Rhino mounts in a couple of cars. Good mounts yet quiet. I've got a set waiting to go into my car.

brad
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I've installed CBs Rhino mounts in a couple of cars. Good mounts yet quiet. I've got a set waiting to go into my car.

brad

Looked up a few reviews and I just ordered the CB Rhinos and a few other items and I'll be swapping them out before the engine goes in.

Thanks again for the input Brad/Scotty.
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Jesse - I'll be sending my 71 down for you to trick out as soon as it's ready!! lol

Great work!!
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

steveoutlaw wrote:
Jesse - I'll be sending my 71 down for you to trick out as soon as it's ready!! lol

Great work!!

Thanks Steve. But I must warn you that I spend about 60% of the time cussing and grunting under my breath cause I F*d something up Laughing

You only see the final results I post here after I worked out all the design kinks and its done but it really is a lot of fun doing my own thing...

I'm proof God has a sense of humor Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

You made mention of a smooth dash and console? Are you getting them from Glass Action? I sat in the car yesterday wondering what to do with my dash. It's been drilled a few times and they carved a big hole and bent it up kind of bad in the middle to put in a pullout deck Rolling Eyes

brad
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You made mention of a smooth dash and console? Are you getting them from Glass Action? I sat in the car yesterday wondering what to do with my dash. It's been drilled a few times and they carved a big hole and bent it up kind of bad in the middle to put in a pullout deck Rolling Eyes

brad

Yes I got them from Glass Action. The quality and fitment is top notch. Comes out of the box ready to paint. Mounting the dash is extremely easy with two bolts that go through OE holes in the metal dash. I would definitely recommend their products.

I just need to cut for gauges and shifter before they get a coat of paint.

I wish they made door panels Crying or Very sad but at least they are flat and will be easy to make glass panels for them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: