Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with my 71 Ghia project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Any updates ? Post some pictures, its been awhile...
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I think there is a pretty good count that got either pushed inland or sunk.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Good to hear everyone came out on the other side OK. I had a 34 foot sailboat that was hulled and moved 3 city blocks by super storm Sandy. The 12,500 boat had been pulled from the water prior to the storm.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
It's good to hear you're safe, Jesse.

I've been following your thread and I can't help thinking that when you finish the restoration/rebuild you're going to suffer withdrawal symptoms (like I did).

Thanks buddy, much appreciated. Hopefully when/if Very Happy I finish I will find something else interesting to build.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

So glad it wasn't nailed by anything...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The neighbors across the street are still on generators. A palm tree ripped their power lines for their entire block off the pole. FPL said it only effected 40 homes and was not a priority. I think it would be if they lived there! Getting a new carburetor for a generator I have to hand out for a couple of homes to share.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

It's good to hear you're safe, Jesse.

I've been following your thread and I can't help thinking that when you finish the restoration/rebuild you're going to suffer withdrawal symptoms (like I did).
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks for checking up. We are doing fine now. We got power back up and internet today!!!!

I was freaking out because I still hadn't finished the air suspension electrical and air lines yet and my Ghia had to spend the hurricane in the driveway.

Happy to say not a single scratch even though the winds were strong enough to topple over 3 30 foot + trees over into the canal behind my house and rip the car cover off my Chrysler 300 to shreds.

Been supper busy running my business and life. I'll post some progress soon.
Hope everyone else here from Florida came out as blessed as we did.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Its been a long time since you posted any updates. How is your car coming along, but more important are you and yours safe ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Yes that's from my green Oval. it sits on a 70 pan with a 3.5" raised rear torsion housing.

I'll never point out things like this in malice, my only reasons would be in the name of safety or to save someone the trouble of spending money badly and having to do something again after a failure.

Cheers

brad
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks and you are 100% correct on your comments.

Those pictures were during mockup and a lot of things have changed since then. I have a bracket at the end of the hard line by the stainless now. Without it the weight of the stainless line how you see it on that picture would have slowly bent the hardline on every bump from its own weight. Also the strap in the middle of the soft line above the trailing arm is not tight and used more as a guide to keep them away from the bags and have free movement within it.

I have a tendacy to be vaige sometimes because I take for granted that everyone else has done things like this before but your comments will most likely save someone time and hartache.

Are those pics from your bug? Looks nice. I'm by no means a VW expert and this is the first one I've ever touched one so I honestly appreciate when you guys when you chime in.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Hey Jesse, Your car is an inspiration. One thing about your brake lines. It looks like the line to the rear caliper is only solid on one end, braced in the middle and then the flexible line to the caliper at the other end, You should support both ends of the hardline, not just one end. On a part that moves constantly like a control arm, a set up like that will fatigue the brake line where it is braced in the middle. By supporting both ends you keep the line solid and then just let the S/S hose move with the caliper.

Best practice is to always mount a hardline solid at both ends

brad
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I got the manifold from AVS www.airbagparts.com
They pretty much have whatever you could possibly need to bag anything.

I found a couple of pictures of when I was mocking up the rear suspension. Yes I'm running 1/4 lines on all 4 corners. And don't forget to use an air muffler for your manifold unless you want to make your car sound like a Peterbilt truck bleeding the air brakes Very Happy

I'm using narrowed rear trailing arms so it might look a little different.

It pretty much tucks all the way. Let me know if you need anything.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes,

Where did you get that air ride solenoid manifold?? Are you running 1/4" lines? What are you using in the rear end? Been buying all my parts for air ride, mocked up a nice control system, just need to figure out a manifold and rear end setup.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Got them in. The guy at the shop where I bought the pedals told me that he had seen someone else put these pedals in a Ghia before but that they had to do a whole bunch of cutting to get them in. I just sued a drill and a hole saw.

By the way if you want to do custom bends on your lines what I do is start with a piece of solid copper 12 gauge wire cut to the same length as the pipe that you need to fit in. I put in all the bends that I need on the cooper wire. Then I just get a brake/fuel line bender and I copy the copper wire's bends.

Now I just want to design a way of having a switch on the pedals for the brakes. The pressure switch on the distribution block will just be a safety backup switch.

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Close, but no cigar on the hydraulic pedal assembly today...

Everything is looking good as far as clearance. At least I'm that much closer. Very Happy

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Yeah you're so right! I chipped the hell out of the door pillar between the front and rear door getting into my 300 with the hammer of a Beretta 9mm I used to carry on my hip. It's in a pretty big double car garage and its the only car in there. If I trip Ill try to steer my body towards some other less lamentable object Very Happy

I'm a bit or a realist and what is done is done, worrying about it is not going to make things better.
If it can be fixed great, nothing to worry about since it can be fixed. If it can not be fixed, then there is nothing to do. Rolling Eyes

I say keep your chin up, put your tail between your legs, fix it and move on. Now if you haven't learned from it and continue to do the same failure well there is a name for that. Wink
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:
I have been using these rivets to mount everything around the car except the mirrors so I think I'm going to borrow that idea from you...

Remember to fix a reinforcing panel of metal on the inside of the door skin for the day some drunk stumbles against your door mirror and bends the (thin) sheet metal of the door skin. Maybe an inch and a half wide and three inches long.

Hopefully since this will never be a daily driver I'll be lucky since it will never sit at a parking lot anywhere. It will sit in a garage and come out for some high octane, raise some hell on weekends and back to the garage. Very Happy

Mostly not because I think it's some priceless jewel but because there is no way to do a touch up on candy paint. If you get some damage you need to reshoot the entire car. Shocked

If I can get to the fabric store I want to get the headliner up this weekend. I was looking through your posts on covering the pillars. Great work! Hopefully I can get through the whole thing without getting pulled away.

So are we to assume this means that you will never stumble through your own garage?
Wink

The only thing worse than having some stranger accidentally damage your car is accidentally damaging it yourself.
d'oh! Brick wall
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:
I have been using these rivets to mount everything around the car except the mirrors so I think I'm going to borrow that idea from you...

Remember to fix a reinforcing panel of metal on the inside of the door skin for the day some drunk stumbles against your door mirror and bends the (thin) sheet metal of the door skin. Maybe an inch and a half wide and three inches long.

Hopefully since this will never be a daily driver I'll be lucky since it will never sit at a parking lot anywhere. It will sit in a garage and come out for some high octane, raise some hell on weekends and back to the garage. Very Happy

Mostly not because I think it's some priceless jewel but because there is no way to do a touch up on candy paint. If you get some damage you need to reshoot the entire car. Shocked

If I can get to the fabric store I want to get the headliner up this weekend. I was looking through your posts on covering the pillars. Great work! Hopefully I can get through the whole thing without getting pulled away.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

[quote="Evil_Fiz"]
SoCalJes wrote:

Now all you need is one of these
http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-GEN-II-2-3L-TVS-for-11-16-GT-5-0L-Boss-302-p/stage150gen2r.htm
and you might be able to keep up with your Ghia Twisted Evil

I like the way you think Very Happy

It already has a turbo and it gets out of it's own way pretty good. I think the only thing I will do to this one is just replace the stock exhaust with 3" all the way back to the tips though. I grew up with a passion for Chevys by the time I was 19 I had a 10.5 second 1978 Z28 and always looked down at Fords. Now I bought one so I guess its true what they say "Never say never" Rolling Eyes

I have been talking with my son about building a 1/4 mile track car. Hopefully it will keep him from racing on the street!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: