Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with my 71 Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Finished rebuilding the wiper assembly now I just need to do that push button mod on the OE wiper switch for the electric washer fluid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I enjoy reading your posts. It's a good thing I didn't see this when I was doing my rebuild because I'd be tempted to follow suit - and be ever disappointed with my inexpert efforts.

Are you going to show us how you did the windscreen washer modification on the switch? I think that might just be within my reach.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Quote:
I enjoy reading your posts. It's a good thing I didn't see this when I was doing my rebuild because I'd be tempted to follow suit - and be ever disappointed with my inexpert efforts.

Are you going to show us how you did the windscreen washer modification on the switch? I think that might just be within my reach.

I'd be more than happy to show you. I'll put something together tonight and post it so you can see how its done. No special tools needed and the switch is not expensive so if you want to have a crack at it go for it. Applause
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Quote:

I'd be more than happy to show you. I'll put something together tonight and post it so you can see how its done. No special tools needed and the switch is not expensive so if you want to have a crack at it go for it. =D>

I can't wait. One way my grandchildren leave me alone is when I get busy in the garage And they are all over me now.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Ha! If you stretch it out this will keep you busy for a while. Its one of those things that you need to measure 10 times and still proceed slowly...

1. This is supposed to represent the wiper switch Embarassed

2. You need to cut the back part of the switch that contains the valve. Take into consideration how deep the center push button pin is in the hole in relation to the length of your switch. Every switch is going to have slightly different dimensions. Make sure you take the head of your wiper switch so you don't cut the pin!

3. Next you need to drill the hole where you will mount the switch. Make sure you take the wiper button off the switch so you don't damage the center pin. The drill diameter needs to be slightly smaller than the threaded diameter of the switch so the switch will screw in. Make sure you only drill deep enough to get the switch screwed in.

4. Screw the switch in while you have some type continuity tested so you can test by pushing in the washer button on the wiper switch. Once you reach the correct depth the pin will push in the switch when you press the washer button. Use some red Loctite to keep the switch from backing out.

Once all that is done just wire in to any generic electric washer motor.

The switch looks like this

I've literally seen these everywhere. Here is an example from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Momentary-N-O-Classic-Small-Push-Button-Switch-Red-060-632-/221679850156

Hope that makes sense...
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Just remember that where you make the cut depends on the length of the switch. If you cut it too short you will need to start over with a new switch so its better to cut it long and test and cut again than to cut too short.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Just remember that where you make the cut depends on the length of the switch. If you cut it too short you will need to start over with a new switch so its better to cut it long and test and cut again than to cut too short.

Thanks Jesse. I'll repatriate the grandchildren today - they eat us out of house and hoard and put their grimy mutts on my car - and then see what's going to work for me.

(Your post should be a sticky, by the way.)
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm sure grandkids are great but I'm glad I don't have any yet, probably for the same reasons you mentioned Very Happy
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to get back on the wiring harness and to do that I want to finish mounting the dash and center console but before I do I've been pondering two options as to how to finish them. The two options are to paint or cover them most likely with a vinyl like leather material. I've never had a car with a painted dash and what worries me is if it will be a PIA with sun glare. I'm in Florida now and at some point will move back home to California. Both are mostly sunny all year around. Because of that I'm leaning towards wrapping them.

Any cons to wrapping the dash?

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I'd say wrap them. I will be getting the GlassAction dash and wrapping it in black leather/vinyl with nice stitching. A more finished product in my opinion.

I will be doing mine similar to C21darrel. His dash is beautiful, have a look...

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

There is no doubt that looks great.

I'm thinking of making a bezel for the gauges and covering the entire dash (top and face. There will be no glove box.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Quote:
There will be no glove box.

Geez, where will you store your driving gloves? Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Found some time and finally mounted the air valves today Very Happy

By the way thought id share this incase anyone hasn't used these before. It is a threaded rivet tool.
You can get the inserts in standard or metric threads. There are two types of insert materials, aluminum and mild steel.
It's a million times better than using sheet metal screws...

Basically to install them you just pick the threaded insert you need, mount the matching adapter on the tool and select the drill bit size.

Drill the hole and crimp the insert just like a rivet and unscrew the tool's tip and you're all set. Incidentally you can tighten the screw/bolt to a pretty good torque without issue.

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
There will be no glove box.

Geez, where will you store your driving gloves? Wink

In my other toy I got about 3 months ago. Embarassed

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
... By the way thought id share this incase anyone hasn't used these before. It is a threaded rivet tool... You can get the inserts in standard or metric threads. There are two types of insert materials, aluminum and mild steel.

Basically to install them you just pick the threaded insert you need, mount the matching adapter on the tool and select the drill bit size... Drill the hole and crimp the insert just like a rivet and unscrew the tool's tip and you're all set. Incidentally you can tighten the screw/bolt to a pretty good torque without issue.

We call them riv-nuts down here, Jesse. My panel-beater guy installed them on my new door skins for the mirrors and also under the heater channels where a couple of the body-to-chassis captive nuts had come loose.

As to your plans to cover the face of the dash with leather-vinyl: There is some continuity for the eye to follow the paint on the face of the dash to that at the the top of the doors, and from there on to the tops of the quarter panels. That said, I think a padded dash all the way from where the dask meets the windscreen all the way down to the centre console could be classy and soften the somewhat Spartan interior of our Ghias.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I have been using these rivets to mount everything around the car except the mirrors so I think I'm going to borrow that idea from you. What I like the most about them is that you can disassemble components as needed without the worry of blowing through the hole for sheet metal screws.

As for the dash I agree with your thoughts. I'm heading over with the wife for assistance to get the material and color. It will be good to get back into practice since the door panels and rear deck will be coming up. I still have an industrial sowing head for interiors so that will be fun. I'll post as soon as I have something.

I never thought it would take this long to finish this car but I'm not in a hurry either...
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
[In my other toy I got about 3 months ago. Embarassed

Now all you need is one of these
http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-GEN-II-2-3L-TVS-for-11-16-GT-5-0L-Boss-302-p/stage150gen2r.htm
and you might be able to keep up with your Ghia Twisted Evil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

[quote="Evil_Fiz"]
SoCalJes wrote:

Now all you need is one of these
http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-GEN-II-2-3L-TVS-for-11-16-GT-5-0L-Boss-302-p/stage150gen2r.htm
and you might be able to keep up with your Ghia Twisted Evil

I like the way you think Very Happy

It already has a turbo and it gets out of it's own way pretty good. I think the only thing I will do to this one is just replace the stock exhaust with 3" all the way back to the tips though. I grew up with a passion for Chevys by the time I was 19 I had a 10.5 second 1978 Z28 and always looked down at Fords. Now I bought one so I guess its true what they say "Never say never" Rolling Eyes

I have been talking with my son about building a 1/4 mile track car. Hopefully it will keep him from racing on the street!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
I have been using these rivets to mount everything around the car except the mirrors so I think I'm going to borrow that idea from you...

Remember to fix a reinforcing panel of metal on the inside of the door skin for the day some drunk stumbles against your door mirror and bends the (thin) sheet metal of the door skin. Maybe an inch and a half wide and three inches long.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:
I have been using these rivets to mount everything around the car except the mirrors so I think I'm going to borrow that idea from you...

Remember to fix a reinforcing panel of metal on the inside of the door skin for the day some drunk stumbles against your door mirror and bends the (thin) sheet metal of the door skin. Maybe an inch and a half wide and three inches long.

Hopefully since this will never be a daily driver I'll be lucky since it will never sit at a parking lot anywhere. It will sit in a garage and come out for some high octane, raise some hell on weekends and back to the garage. Very Happy

Mostly not because I think it's some priceless jewel but because there is no way to do a touch up on candy paint. If you get some damage you need to reshoot the entire car. Shocked

If I can get to the fabric store I want to get the headliner up this weekend. I was looking through your posts on covering the pillars. Great work! Hopefully I can get through the whole thing without getting pulled away.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:

Hopefully since this will never be a daily driver I'll be lucky since it will never sit at a parking lot anywhere. It will sit in a garage and come out for some high octane, raise some hell on weekends and back to the garage. Very Happy

Mostly not because I think it's some priceless jewel but because there is no way to do a touch up on candy paint. If you get some damage you need to reshoot the entire car. Shocked

If I can get to the fabric store I want to get the headliner up this weekend. I was looking through your posts on covering the pillars. Great work! Hopefully I can get through the whole thing without getting pulled away.

So are we to assume this means that you will never stumble through your own garage?
Wink

The only thing worse than having some stranger accidentally damage your car is accidentally damaging it yourself.
d'oh! Brick wall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: