Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just lost someone I Love to Cancer
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Once compromised by chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery,
your immune system will never be the same.

This is a poor time to be diagnosed with cancer.
This is a poor time for chemo to tear down your immune system.
This is a poor time to get care, hospitals are slammed.

Patients that get the best outcomes are Proactive, educated
about treatment options & their impact on quality of life.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

That ^^^ is beautiful.

It took me losing a number of friends and family members to realize the truth in the statements above. My brother's wife passed on a few weeks ago. She had a lifetime of medical challenges. I think of the good and the positive in her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I lost my dad to bladder cancer. On Christmas Eve this year, it'll be 19 years since we lost him. He battled it for 10+ years, getting radiation treatment, doctors telling him he's in remission, then it would come back - 4 times in that 10 year span. Each time getting radiation treatment until he decided no more. There isn't a single day I don't think about my dad. I regret not taking more interest in things he did around the house, and working on cars. I was a stupid kid. Now that I'm older and a homeowner, I'm more reliant on finding how to do videos online. I moved from California to Texas in 2003. Covid has kept me from being able to go visit my mom who at 87 has dementia (I had planned on going early in 2020).

I've lost a few people to Covid, too. Life is short, that's for sure.

Something to ponder on:
You can shed tears because they are gone, or you can smile because they lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that they will come back, or you can open your eyes and see all that they have left you.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see them, or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday, or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember only that they are gone, or you can cherish their memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind and feel empty, or you can do what they would want you to do.
Smile, Open your heart, Love....and go on.

-Elizabeth Ammons
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli

Last edited by sportin-wood on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Biouno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

These are topics that perhaps no one would like to read, but that unfortunately are more real than the restorations of our vehicles themselves. On October 24, 2020, my mother passed away from breast cancer. She was a healthy woman, without any disease or pain. In the midst of this pandemic, she began to show pain in her back around April 2020, and in August she took her from the emergency room to the hospital, where they told us that she had metastatic lesions in the spine and liver. she was already too late for any treatment. In September we put her in the hospital for a month and they discovered that the cancer was already in her brain. she was at home since October 8 recovering a little from all the sedatives that were given to ease her pains. On October 24, she told me in the morning, "I'm going to die" and as if it had been an omen, she died that day at 8 o'clock at night in my arms.

I am very sorry for the loss of all the relatives of the members of this community. And as they already said, fucking cancer.

This year by chance of life, I was able to buy the car of our dreams, a vw 67 combi, which we are restoring. and in honor of her is called "Dollyta"

sorry for my bad English.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

1LoWezl, this is why I started this thread, you should have seen the look on my Mom's face when she read the "FUCK CANCER' on the 1st page Laughing She read the whole thing.
Pics of your low combi tat ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Wow!! I to did not know this subject existed and found it by chance, just clicking on another members post. I like so many others have lost my Mother, Aunt, My second father and my grandmother over the last 7 yrs to this incredibly harsh disease. It has no ethnical boundaries, No political stance and not a care in the world of who or what it effects.
I have a tattoo in remembrance of my mother but could apply to all lost.My 1964 combi squats in a field of sunflowers and magic mushrooms with the initials NFA in bold print, a song by the Grateful Dead ...........

"Not Fade Away"

Love ya Mom
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

willieb wrote:
@ 688 guy god bless you my friend fuck cancer and fuck a lil pee! just keep on doin it! My cousin died at 49 from cancer who helped me score a sweet 64"bus out of Colorado Springs.

You have to play the hand you're dealt...Oh, speaking of cousins, out of 6 male cousins, 3 of us have prostate cancer and an uncle died from it. Another cousin died from some rare cancer, so out of 6 there's only 2 that were spared. Too bad money doesn't run in the family like cancer does, lol!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

@ 688 guy god bless you my friend fuck cancer and fuck a lil pee! just keep on doin it! My cousin died at 49 from cancer who helped me score a sweet 64"bus out of Colorado Springs.
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

See haven't lived 'til you hear the doc say "You might have 18 months", that'll get your attention! I had what they called an aggressive prostate cancer, my PSA was high, so they wanted to test it again in 2 months and the high number had doubled, so it had to go. I had it lopped out 4 years ago and my PSA has been zero ever since. Know what I did to celebrate? I got a Ghia. You know what happens when you wrench on a bolt that hasn't been loosened for over 50 years and you don't have a prostate? That's right, you pee a little, I used a bunch of panty shields in the last year or so, lol!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

My only advice is to be with her as much as you can, talk to her, hear about her past, if you have questions, now is the time to ask. Bring out the pictures if you have them, or if she has old pictures, find out who is in them and maybe get a bit of family history.
My Dad went really quick, w/ my Mom it was way different, day by day loosing her brain, and , at times knowing that it was happening. See her as much as you can, talk to her as much as you can, and you won't have any regrets...

Sorry for the loss of your Mom, Tom. I just read this post now. It def sucks having lost both parents in 2005 and 2017.

Wishing everyone here a Happy Holiday if possible and a better 2021 for everyone.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

spend time w/ them if you can. Odds are they will love to see you too.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

JDMbeetle wrote:
Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my grandma has liver cancer, she's not dead but if the treatments don't go well we have 3 to 6 months instead of 1 to 3 years. I'm not asking for sympathy but if anyone has any advice for helping family members with cancer it would be greatly appreciated.

My only advice is to be with her as much as you can, talk to her, hear about her past, if you have questions, now is the time to ask. Bring out the pictures if you have them, or if she has old pictures, find out who is in them and maybe get a bit of family history.
My Dad went really quick, w/ my Mom it was way different, day by day loosing her brain, and , at times knowing that it was happening. See her as much as you can, talk to her as much as you can, and you won't have any regrets...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Wow, been on thesamba for years and never knew this thread existed until I clicked on a link from one of crukab’s posts. Ironically I just got off the phone with my sister, discussing her father-in-law who was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma. This has been more or less the shittiest year ever. To all of you who’ve unfortunately posted here about a loved one, I wish you all the best this holiday season.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Had and uncle pass from covid early this year - they found him slumped in his home after few days. Died few days later- was Covid 19 positve.

Had also an aunt die few weeks ago from cancer - died in the hospital.

Not long also, another close friend died from breast cancer.

Not really sure what to say -it is a challenge to all to have to deal w/ it. I see it at work all the time. And I am so tired - really burned out from it. I am looking for ways to get myself out and so another job. But at my age, a new career training might not be feasible. I just tell myself..just one more time..or one more day.

God bless all.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

gtrplyr wrote:
Not looking for sympathy, Sept. 30th I was diagnosed with brain cancer. We lost our oldest daughter two years ago to cancer. My mom on sept. 2, 1977. It's no fun. Love those you have in your heart, tell 'em. Enjoy life.
On a side note, I may have to sell my buggy.
Stay well, I have enjoyed ready all about VW's and dune buggies on this site.
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Aw Man! I have been watching your Buggy build from afar. Disappointing news to say the least.

However I will tell you a story about a very dear friend of mine. 8 years ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had it removed. The Doctor at that time told him they could not remove it all, that type does not respond to further treatment and while slow growing, it will be back. Meanwhile his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, had the usual removal and treatments but passed away a year and a half later. Bear in mind - 3 kids in their teens, the youngest being hospitalized with mental illness for a while (no surprise there with the health trauma in the family!). Oh and a job loss thrown in!

Shortly after he was called back in for an operation to remove his tumor the second time. This time they felt more confident with the outcome and decided to give him Chemo and radiation treatments.

He called me up the other week very excited. His latest tests came back positive, he has been cancer free for a year and a half now, remarried a sweet lady and he told me that for the first time in 8 years there are no appointments for scans or tests on his calendar! The Doctor told him he is in the lucky 20% of survivors of his type of cancer.

Sent me a picture of the moose he just shot... there you go, I hope that puts some spring back in your step!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

James 4:14
"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away".
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I have lost my Father, Aunt, two Brother-in-laws, a Sister-in-law and several close friends over the years to this disease. It is difficult each time no doubt about that! On feels very helpless standing by and watching the deterioration and suffering. That part I find to be the hardest to take especially toward the end. There comes a point in the process where death in spite of the on going heart ache of the loss is a release for all involved.

I do find comfort though in a belief of a higher power and an afterlife.

Good luck with your struggles, you are not alone there!
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Not looking for sympathy, Sept. 30th I was diagnosed with brain cancer. We lost our oldest daughter two years ago to cancer. My mom on sept. 2, 1977. It's no fun. Love those you have in your heart, tell 'em. Enjoy life.
On a side note, I may have to sell my buggy.
Stay well, I have enjoyed ready all about VW's and dune buggies on this site.
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
JDMbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my grandma has liver cancer, she's not dead but if the treatments don't go well we have 3 to 6 months instead of 1 to 3 years. I'm not asking for sympathy but if anyone has any advice for helping family members with cancer it would be greatly appreciated.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

so sorry Tom. I hope you find peace Crying or Very sad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: