Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Hard start relay, not uncommon.

I don't use one on my 1970 or 1971.

That one looks more like a “hard to start” relay! It likely needs to be replaced. I’ve used them and not used them. The inrush current of the starter circuit is hard on switches. I’d rather add a hard start relay than replace an ignition switch that’s otherwise good. My perspective may be a bit different, since most of my Bugs have been ‘59-‘64 and OEM ignition switches haven’t been available for some time.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sloanstavern wrote:
If I have a five prong 30 amp 12 V relay would that work?

Well ... yes if the wires are connected correctly for that relay.

This one will work, but you can probably find it for less.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-332-Multi-Purpose-Rel...amp;sr=8-5

I'd check to be sure the starter will engage and turn when power is applied. Use a 12 gauge or larger wire as a jumper between terminals 30 and 50 on the starter solenoid to see if it engages and turns.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Thanks for the tip
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Cusser wrote:

That one looks more like a “hard to start” relay! It likely needs to be replaced. I’ve used them and not used them. The inrush current of the starter circuit is hard on switches. I’d rather add a hard start relay than replace an ignition switch that’s otherwise good. My perspective may be a bit different, since most of my Bugs have been ‘59-‘64 and OEM ignition switches haven’t been available for some time.

Thanks I will replace it
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Sloanstavern wrote:
If I have a five prong 30 amp 12 V relay would that work?

Well ... yes if the wires are connected correctly for that relay.

This one will work, but you can probably find it for less.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-332-Multi-Purpose-Rel...amp;sr=8-5

I'd check to be sure the starter will engage and turn when power is applied. Use a 12 gauge or larger wire as a jumper between terminals 30 and 50 on the starter solenoid to see if it engages and turns.

Thanks , when I test fired the engine , wired the starter direct, bypassed the ignition switch and she fires strong. I will try a new relay, if no joy, Ill look at the ignition switch itself
khangames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Probably common knowledge, but my bug came missing a few things. Can someone tell me what size bolts to use for:

1) The license plate.
2) The fresh air box knob mount.

Thanks. Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

khangames wrote:
Probably common knowledge, but my bug came missing a few things. Can someone tell me what size bolts to use for:

1) The license plate

Carriage bolts, 1/4" thread
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I removed my frozen rear wheel cylinder and compared the cast-in logo to the replacement ATE cylinder. Rome was right, the old frozen cylinder is ATE.

Old frozen cylinder:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New replacement cylinder:

I don't want to throw away anything that might be original to the car. I'd like to rebuild the frozen ATE cylinder for use as a spare.
khangames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

khangames wrote:

2) The fresh air box knob mount.

Thanks. Smile

If anyone stumbles upon this later, the answer is M6x1.
Marks_Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: "Independent Rear Suspension" (IRS) Reply with quote

Pardon me, but I sometimes wonder about the dumbest things so I thought this was the best thread.

As I recall, VW always bragged about their "Independent torsion bar suspension" as a selling point starting with all the bugs and other air-cooled vehicles they made.

In this forum (and other sources) you refer to only the articulated drive axle as "IRS" when the older, straight axle was still, technically, independently suspended and therefore "IRS" as well! What gives?

Others owned- 1959 Beetle, 1959 Beetle, 1969 Beetle, 1971 Type 3, 1978 Bus
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

All Bugs do have an independent rear suspension but we need some way to separate them for discussion. So, convention is to call the older design "swingaxle" and the newer style IRS. The later design looks like the IRS suspension familiar to most people.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
I don't want to throw away anything that might be original to the car. I'd like to rebuild the frozen ATE cylinder for use as a spare.

Wheel cylinders are quite simple, and little hones for them are inexpensive.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Wheel cylinders are quite simple, and little hones for them are inexpensive.

I still need to get the Bug off the lift, torque the big castle nut etc., and give it a road test. So I haven't had time to take the old cylinder apart. But I know this much: both plungers on the frozen cylinder won't slide and they won't rotate. Is there a good technique to get frozen plungers out of the cylinder body?
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a way to reduce the wind noise from the roof rack? Maybe wrap it in tape or foam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mikeonthebike wrote:
Is there a way to reduce the wind noise from the roof rack? Maybe wrap it in tape or foam?

You'd need to attach some type of wind deflector across the front of the rack. Wrapping it just creates more surface area for the air to contend with resulting in more wind noise.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What kind of gear oil is green/turquoise in color?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
mikeonthebike wrote:

You'd need to attach some type of wind deflector across the front of the rack. Wrapping it just creates more surface area for the air to contend with resulting in more wind noise.

Thanks. Anything I can buy or do I have to make one? I work at a plastics distribution warehouse. I can probably make one out of acrylic or polycarb.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mikeonthebike wrote:
OldSchoolVW's wrote:
mikeonthebike wrote:

Thanks. Anything I can buy or do I have to make one? I work at a plastics distribution warehouse. I can probably make one out of acrylic or polycarb.

Something along this line would probably work:

https://www.amazon.com/LT-Sport-Fairing-Carrier-De...1f14d7f644

I looked at your bug in your gallery. The rack is a bit tall. Maybe you could use the one on Amazon as a base/foundation and fabricate a larger deflector to attach to it. I don't know of any place that sells one specifically for the racks that go on Bugs.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:

I looked at your bug in your gallery. The rack is a bit tall. Maybe you could use the one on Amazon as a base/foundation and fabricate a larger deflector to attach to it. I don't know of any place that sells one specifically for the racks that go on Bugs.

The plastic is the easy part. I just need to devise some brackets to mount it. I could probably make it work to help when the sunroof is, too.
Or just live with the noise.
I don't know yet how much louder it will be with the sunroof open.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mikeonthebike wrote:
OldSchoolVW's wrote:

The plastic is the easy part. I just need to devise some brackets to mount it. I could probably make it work to help when the sunroof is, too.
Or just live with the noise.
I don't know yet how much louder it will be with the sunroof open.

Mr. Jimbug57's solution: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 127 of 129

Jump to: