Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
So help me think through this. Will more cable travel solve the problem? Do the ebrakes start to grab the disc at first cable movement?

No, what is happening here is because of the slack in the cable. The caliper is only getting the effect of one or two clicks of the handle at the caliper, when he is actually pulling all the way up on the handle and maxing it out. If the cable were tight, it would work correctly.

Go out and mess with the cables on your bicycle. Loosen a shifter or brake cable holder so the plastic sheath moves slightly and notice how bad and sloppy everything becomes!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
dobryan wrote:
So help me think through this. Will more cable travel solve the problem? Do the ebrakes start to grab the disc at first cable movement?

No, what is happening here is because of the slack in the cable. The caliper is only getting the effect of one or two clicks of the handle at the caliper, when he is actually pulling all the way up on the handle and maxing it out. If the cable were tight, it would work correctly.

Go out and mess with the cables on your bicycle. Loosen a shifter or brake cable holder so the plastic sheath moves slightly and notice how bad and sloppy everything becomes!

I know. That is why I am asking the question. My thought is that Sodo is not allowing the cables to pull enough to get the pads ready to actuate when the ebrake handle is pulled. I think if the cables were in that position the caliper ebrake would actuate correctly. But since I am not there I cannot see what he sees. Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

That is a easier example to test than the one that I offered.
When you adjust the barrel nut adjusters at the brake lever the housing is getting tension or loosened but the cable length stays the same...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

The Vanagon handbrake cable travels 1.25 inches (all the clicks).
The short little disc caliper actuator has .625 inch total travel arc from full off to full on.

The Vanagon handbrake is designed for a big gangly bunch of linkage and leverage multipliers, of a drum brake. It has a lot more cable travel than the disc brakes can ever use. I suspect the disc caliper needs less than 1/2" but more tension (for several reasons). But first I need to get to the basic state where you guys (who have working brakes) are.

I think my problem is not related to cable or cable adjustment, its with the internal caliper auto adjust, or initializing the auto-adjust. I think that when I get the caliper internal adjust set, that the arc that my cable end travels, will be a lot less than the full travel of .625".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

Here is the analogous bicycle situation:

Loosen your bike cable until pulling the lever HARD makes the lever ALMOST but not quite reach the handlebar. The housing is loose & sloppy, it's not right. But the cable pulls tight and the brakes squeeze tight on the wheel.

The brake still stops the bike creating equal stopping power as when it's adjusted optimally. The only thing that has changed is the position of the brake handle/lever.

The cable is pulling tight, and I repeat FIRKIN tight! I'm not talking about hurting my pinkie yanking on the brake handle, I'm talking get under the car and feel the cables, and feel the housings, it's not an issue of slack cable, its TIGHT as its ever gonna get. The problem has to be inside the caliper.

I appreciate all your interest! Tomorrow in the daylight I will mess with the calipers, maybe svenakela will wake up in a couple hours and offer more tips.....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get the slack out of the cable before you start messing with calipers. I can tell you 100% without even being there that the gap between the washer and the caliper in the first photo is an issue. Park brake cables are not designed to have that slack in them. Not drum brakes, not disc brakes, not bicycle cable brakes.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can plainly see the issue.
Everything needs to be slack free to provide the hold everyone is saying they dont have.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang thats the problem with pictures..... sometimes you see stuff you're not supposed to see.

Cable slack is not the issue here at all. I'm 100% positive that if you pulled my brake handle, that you ALL would say this......

1) Hey this brake handle tops out hard but its too high. You can move the handle down by taking up some cable slack.
2) But no sense adjusting handle position yet, lets go see if your brake caliper actuators are pulling tight.
3) Yup the cable is pulling tight and might I say FIRKIN' tight. Yup the little caliper actuator is maxed out and it hasn't even gripped the disc yet. No point in fussing with the cable yet, theres some problem with the parking mechanism inside the caliper.
4) Oh wait, you have left some return spring on the end you must be coilbound! Ooops sorry I can see space between the coils....with all the long heavy, dangly cables in this vanagon setup an additional return spring will help; but could coilbind, keep an eye on that.

Positive!

===========================

Currently thinking is the auto-adjust inside the piston is stuck and not allowing the auto adjust to advance to the point where it can put pressure on the disc.

Here's the proper tool as seen in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDeAwJrDlZk at minute 7:45

I don't have that tool but a needlenose plier worked OK. It was impossible to turn the piston until I freed it up several turns with a channellock. Then it screwed in with the needlenose. I think my auto-adjust is stuck because I haven't used the parking brake in years (because it didn't work). I pumped it back out with the footbrake. New brake pads will arrive this afternoon

After I get the caliper auto-adjust working the next task is to take up all of the cable housing slack and see if I can have a parking brake!

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see the piston move out when you manually move the arm the cable is connected to. It only has to move a little bit to grab the caliper.

It's very likely your cable could be hanging up on something else in the front part, or your park brake handle is just maxed out and stopping. The cable slack is an issue.

This is the park brake reset tool I have, but from the dealer http://vw.snapon.com/specialtoolsdetail.aspx?itemid=6840009 Why would I spend $65 on a tool just to push in VW/Audi rear brake pistons? Because it's my job and I've done hundreds of them... So I'd like to think I know something about rear disc brakes. And I can tell you from experience that the gap in your cable is an issue.

You may have other issues as well, but if I showed up with beer in hand when you asked me to look at it, that would be the first thing I would tell you to address. After that's fixed, we could continue trouble shooting. If you absolutely wouldn't touch the cable until you rebuilt everything else, I would leave you to it and probably go swimming or something else relaxing...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are already there. I am going swimming.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can come to my swimming pool, I have the beers, and the van is parked outside so can also tell me what to do with my ebrake Laughing Laughing

Good thread Sodo, Hans and Dobryan, keep this going, I want to see success here so that I can follow steps.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for the love of God get this fixed so that when the next person complains of a non existent emergency brake we can direct them here.

Keep up the good work Chaps.

BTW, I have the same dealer tool...works like a charm.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> If you absolutely wouldn't touch the cable until you rebuilt everything else, I would leave you to it and probably go swimming or something else relaxing...

I guess I can't bring myself to "adjust the cable" .....again..... because its clearly not the problem. Believe me I started into this by adjusting the cable. How hard is that? One nut! Obviously the FIRST STEP of troubleshooting any cable operated brake and so easy.

The problem is bigger than that, and more puzzling. It's in the calipers, not anywhere in the cable.

How do I know its not the problem? Because when I pull the brake, the cable pulls tight. Out at the wheel, the caliper lever the cable is at tight against the stops as it can ever get. No cable adjustment can change that, its maxxed.

If you adjust it so the handbrake pulls up 5 clicks at a hard pull, it makes no difference in braking. The brakes dont work because the calipers are not grabbing the disc and its not related to the cable.

You guys don't get to go swimming yet you're not listening. Cool The cable pulls tight. Not the handle, not the linkage, the cable is so tight it's like solid steel. Cable adjustment is ruled out, it's not the problem.

To solve this I need insight on how the the calipers do their auto-adjustment or what you do to initiate it. Only svenakela has touched on this so far but I don't really understand yet.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This of you with experience with these SPECIFIC AUDI BRAKES:

Are there any steps I'm missing to change the pads?

1) Remove old pads & cleanup the calipers for the new pads.
2) Retract the piston by turning it clockwise while pressing it in
3) Install the new pads
4) Set the slack in the parking brake cable

Now for "5" is there a proper way to reset the caliper for the new pads before you drive off? Is one way "wrong"?

5) Pump the footbrake
-- or --
5) Actuate the parking brake repeatedly

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I guess I can't bring myself to "adjust the cable" .....again..... because its clearly not the problem. Believe me I started into this by adjusting the cable. How hard is that? One nut! Obviously the FIRST STEP of troubleshooting any cable operated brake and so easy.

The problem is bigger than that, and more puzzling. It's in the calipers, not anywhere in the cable.

How do I know its not the problem? Because when I pull the brake, the cable pulls tight. Out at the wheel, the caliper lever the cable is at tight against the stops as it can ever get. No cable adjustment can change that, its maxxed.

If you adjust it so the handbrake pulls up 5 clicks at a hard pull, it makes no difference in braking. The brakes dont work because the calipers are not grabbing the disc and its not related to the cable.

You guys don't get to go swimming yet you're not listening. Cool The cable pulls tight. Not the handle, not the linkage, the cable is so tight it's like solid steel. Cable adjustment is ruled out, it's not the problem.

To solve this I need insight on how the the calipers do their auto-adjustment or what you do to initiate it. Only svenakela has touched on this so far but I don't really understand yet.

This has been exactly my experience and the one from the people and the two shops that so far have looked at my Audi rear disk brakes when playing with cable adjustment.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

1) Remove old pads & cleanup the calipers for the new pads.
2) Retract the piston by turning it clockwise while pressing it in
3) Install the new pads
4) Set the slack in the parking brake cable

Now for "5" is there a proper way to reset the caliper for the new pads before you drive off? Is one way "wrong"?

5) Pump the footbrake
-- or --
5) Actuate the parking brake repeatedly

Things that may have been missed. When you turn the piston in, you should open the m/c cap so the fluid can return to the reservoir easier.

For number 5, it is the same for all VW and Audi, you pull the e-brake multiple times until the rear calipers adjust themselves, usually only 2-3 pulls.

Some of the calipers from the pictures above are super rusty and probably wouldn't self adjust.

Tell me something, how nice are your calipers, rust?

As we all know, there is a way to fix this.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per cable:
When designing and purchasing custom cables you can have the properly mating ends, length and supports to provide a very nice fitting and smooth actuating cable.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm particularly interested in how rusty your slider bolts are because they look pretty rusty in the 'loose cable' picture.

**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for someone else to mention the rusted calipers as many feel only Eastcoast vans have to deal with rust.

Zinc chromate spray, sprayable anti seize, Fluid Film....all very cost effect coatings to keep brake parts from rusting and becoming difficult to dial in.

svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Did you read my posts?..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: