Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1909689

It's not really rusted if you can't see the rust under the black spray paint right?

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Scam?

low mileage? Rare paint?? only one picture, very little detail and a low price? The only contact info is a phone number to a text mail subscription.

Sounds too good to be true.

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/rvs/5511840916.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

"phone number to a text mail subscription."

What the heck is that?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Looks like a way far a scammer to insulate himself doesn't it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Here is a low cost solution to a big core charge for a 2.1 WBX - The CL states it was non working but spins freely when pulled. Anyone near Detroit need something like this core? looks to have a/c compressor, alt, PS, newish dist.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/5508777910.html
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hey, Denver!

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5512582591.html
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

WedgeAntillies wrote:
Scam?

low mileage? Rare paint?? only one picture, very little detail and a low price? The only contact info is a phone number to a text mail subscription.

Look familiar?

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1984-Volkswagen-Westfalia-117293173
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
WedgeAntillies wrote:
Scam?

Look familiar?

quite a plummet from 29k to 4400...

screams scam or stolen to me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I do SO LOVE IT when they fork lift a vehicle, and then say "any reasonable offer"

https://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/5494397829.html

Last edited by bobbyblack on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
EverettB wrote:
WedgeAntillies wrote:
Scam?

Look familiar?

quite a plummet from 29k to 4400...

screams scam or stolen to me.

Yes, it's a scam, I should have made that clear
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Price: "Lets talk."

Its so annoying when people won't even throw out a ballpark figure for what they want to get. Then make some snarky "don't waste my time" comment in the text. Its not like they have NO IDEA when they post the ad what they think would be fair. Just put a damn number in there as a place to start a negotiation, and so I can know if I should bother wasting MY time contacting YOU.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1891716
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
Price: "Lets talk."

Its so annoying when people won't even throw out a ballpark figure for what they want to get. Then make some snarky "don't waste my time" comment in the text. Its not like they have NO IDEA when they post the ad what they think would be fair. Just put a damn number in there as a place to start a negotiation, and so I can know if I should bother wasting MY time contacting YOU.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1891716

He's totally cool though with telling you everything he paid to upgrade it and fix things... so you should totally be the one to take all that into account when you make an offer.

Quote:
Subaru conversation cost was 19,700. With the best shop- Small Car Performance.

Quote:
Total bill for the work at Small Car is over 50,000. Yes fifty thousand - I have all the original receipts.

Offer him 30,300$. (50k - 19,700$)

I figure based on his method of starting a negotiation for his vehicle of any value, subtracting the cost of the subaru "conversation" from the estimated overall bill at Small Car is just as likely to provide positive results.

*** Subaru "conversation"

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: and the Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Went to go and look at a 84 Aussan Brown Westy for a buddy of mine here in town.

" All problems with the are --minor---I will detail
with interested individuals-----I have had the car for about 7 years
and seldom use it-----It is priced well below market value "

I called the guy and then went and had a look at it because I knew where it was. The first thing you notice is the Urine smell as you walk by it, The shift knob is chewed as well as the front seat and bed is all but destroyed, The 1/4 has a dent which extends into the door and the rear bumper is rusted and bent. Of course the photos show none of this.
Later I received a call from the guy and asked for an Honest description as if I were standing there. He sheepishly told me that the drivers seat was bad and that the fuel gauge was in op and the top may need to be replaced. But if I looked at current prices I would see that it was well below market and that he had left more than enough meat on the bone. I drilled him for a description of the rear bed and he said" oh there is a small hole in it" you could put a Basketball in it. When asked about the body he said were a few small dents but nothing major.
He then went into his sales pitch about how he does now know why someone would spend 10K on a van when this one was just as good with a little work. I then pointed out that he was comparing an early van to a late model, he then let it slip that he was selling this because he had just bought a 87 which is way better driving van.
I said you can't compare the 2 vans ,he became very defensive and said I should just go and buy a 15K van. He glossed over everything that I knew by saying that any old van will need work. I agree but an 84 in top shape is $ 8k +- and hung up on me .
In all fairness ,it was a rust free example and most things it needed were cosmetic ,except the dent/scrape in the right 1/4 and a full delousing to get rid of the Urine smell.
My point here ,describe accurately ,post lots of photos and be realistic. This is a good example of a 4-4500 van ,that will need 2-3 K right away to make it a decent 6k van.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

What is this Syncro still doing on the classifieds? Anyone know more about it?

6.5K for a restorable Syncro with locker... not sure if its a 'good deal' or not, but with the way things are going, it should have already been sold, I think.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1913528
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

a BIN of $12k really? Syncro prices are there already?

wow that's going to be a whole lot of rust repair going on there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanago...6016.l4276

Quote:
VIN# WV2YB0255GG025534

1987 Volkswagen Syncro with Westfalia Kitchenette.
Mileage: 234,000
I apologize to everyone who bid previously. I did not have the VIN# listed and E-Bay de-listed me. I added the VIN# and set it to start on a Saturday and end on a Saturday to try and make the bidding fair to everyone. Sorry for the delay...

Good luck and happy bidding....

This is a 4 speed and also has the extra low “granny” gear. I have owned this Syncro for about 15 years for the last 3 it has been mostly stored in my brother’s garage. I do take it out a few rimes a year and drive it to work and back and have the oil changed. This year I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. But I have now decided, regretfully to part with “The Big Ugly” as I call her.

Exterior- Paint is ok. Some is chipped and some is discolored. There is some seam rust and rust in a few other places. I provided pictures of sample rust areas but not all are pictured, Overall not too bad and most is fixable with replacement panels form GoWesty or Bus Depot. Had a somewhat minor collision in the driver’s front corner. Was on ice and going slow but did some damage. It is covered by the bra. I haven’t removed the bra in several years so there may be some rust under there. A few dings and minor dents. The worst spot is drivers side rear panel. Rear bumper is removed and tow hitch for bike racks etc. is welded in place. Works well and much better than the “bolt on” hitches. Racks up top stay on. Front rack in a basket type rack with a plywood base. I have sat up here at many national parks. It is very sturdy. Rear racks are standard Thule with one ski/snowboard rack. All lights up top work except 2. Usually just need a wiggle of the wire for the 2 to work. The 2 not working right now are the driver’s side area light and the passenger side rear facing. All the rest up top and in front all in working order and all on individual switches. Headlights, tail lights and turn signals all work. All 5 tires match and have been rotated regularly. Still lots of life left in them. All glass is intact. Front windshield has a few cracks.

Interior- Carpet is in ok shape. Front seats are not original and have seat covers. They have lots of adjustments and both spin to face the rear. Stereo is in place but the amp was stolen so as you see in the pictures I just put a spare amp I had on the floor and hooked it up. It stays with the van. Dash in ok shape with no major issues. Speakers up front all wired and work. One speaker in the rear is missing and the other is not wired. Ceiling mounted ac blows as a fan ONLY. AC is present but not working. Never has worked as long as I have owned the van but blower works good for air circulation. New battery under passenger seat. Battery under driver’s seat in unknown but working condition. Inverter mounted next to driver’s seat. I have removed the middle seat. I have installed a Westfalia kitchen unit. There is a small propane tank under the seat that fuels the stove and fridge. Yes the fridge works. Yes the stove works. Yes the sink works. The sink is piped to a 5 gallon water tank under the rear seat. A rv water pump delivers the water to the sink. The sink drains under the van. I have drapes on all windows and have drapes for the front side windows. I have a screen door for the rear and the side door. I have an accessory light wired above the stove for cooking. There is a small portable toiled next to the kitchenette and it stays with the van. It fits perfect and at night it fits between the two front seats.

Drivability- I know of no issues except 2 coolant hoses that need to be replaced. Should be able to drive pretty much anywhere once the water leak is fixed so I recommend shipping. There is a bypass pipe on the exhaust. I have no smog check so it’s not an issue and it runs great. Van has NEVER left me stranded. I have taken this van to countless national and State parks. I have once or twice lived in in for just over 3 weeks while touring. She is not pretty and she is not perfect. I should add that I have 2 jacks, a repair manual, an owner’s manual, and a spare computer (these run $500-$1000 if you can find them). I also have one or two (I have to look) spare “lockout” actuators. These will be included as well. The current lockout works as it should to lock the rear differential.

This would make an excellent restoration candidate or drive as is with all its “character”. Even though it is running and driving, I would not recommend driving a long distance without an inspection repair as needed. I'm sure it will need the normal tweaking as is normal with these vans and of vehicles this age. I have not gone through everything to make sure it works but it was all in working order when stored and if something isn't working it should require just basic maintenance to get it working properly.

Please e-mail me with any questions, or if you prefer to talk, please send your phone number and I will call you. If you want to see any other pictures, please let me know and I will take them and send to you. You are also welcome to come see it in person…please contact me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
a BIN of $12k really? Syncro prices are there already? wow that's going to be a whole lot of rust repair going on there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanago...6016.l4276

"Paint is ok."

Ha. I think its $2000 for the rusty, beat to shit Syncro and $10,000 for the auxiliary lamps!! Shocked Rolling Eyes
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Your are asking $5000 for a van but then insisting an extra $50 to leave your POS stereo in the dash (no speakers) Rolling Eyes

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5519346901.html
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
Your are asking $5000 for a van but then insisting an extra $50 to leave your POS stereo in the dash (no speakers) Rolling Eyes

But....but...., it will go up to 80MPH, but it will use more gas. Very Happy
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:

Look... he lived in that thing for a month... there is clearly a special tender emotional bond with that stereo.

I mean... clearly not one that can't be overcome by 50$... but special none the less.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Doesn't "I lived in it for" X minutes ==== like several thousand less immediately, not MORE? Ewwwwwwwww!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 137

Jump to: