Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ordered a set of 16” Mercedes steelies today! I guess this is the motivation I need to get it titled finally Embarassed

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The cracked handle can often be prevented with the awesome derlin bushing available on eBay. Since you 3d print, I have made them that way and they seem to work well. Likely not as long lasting as the awesome derlin ones but there's are available at the push of a button.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sometimes it's the little stuff.
My sliding door handle was sagging and loose. Took it apart and found it was cracking. I actually remembered that I had bought a NOS many years ago. After much searching, I found and installed it after switching the lock cylinder over. Replaced the inner foam seal and plastic escutcheon. Like new, nice and tight.
But then this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fortunately, I had some used spare handles and dropped them off with a powder coater I know.
This is a great guide to disassembly.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4667417&highlight=#4667417
I switched the lock cylinders over and installed the re finished handles. I also degreased and lubed the locks prior to installation. There was not a trace of foam in my OE handles, was that added later? Also, there is a thin plastic ring or seal on the lock cylinder. One of mine was cracked and I couldn't find an o-ring thin enough. Couldn't find one being offered anywhere so I assume its NLA.
Much better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JIME82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished it. Bleeded the brakes, taking her down for a long random and bumpy drive this weekend to settle in the new suspension and will get her aligned next week. Up next: fixing some rust and installing self made liftkit for the roofrack-poptop combo.

WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added some led strip light for footwell lighting utilizing the Uniwerks retro gauge pod. Also added some lights for under the bench seat. ran some lights so I can see in glove box too and lights up my secondary auxiliary electrical behind glove box.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

JIME82 wrote:

Left hand side coming along nicely.

Nice!
I'll soon be doing this exact task!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JIME82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Left hand side coming along nicely.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
...so I’ll just roll with that mysterious generosity and bank the twenty bucks I would have spent each year.

It's no longer quite so mysterious. Wink

It does seem like a win-win though.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
...so I’ll just roll with that mysterious generosity and bank the twenty bucks I would have spent each year.

It's no longer quite so mysterious. Wink

It does seem like a win-win though.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
fxr wrote:
Heh. Smile Like your logic. Smile

Yeah, you've heard of Girl Math and Boy Math? This was Vanagon Math.

Freakin’ brilliant…well played!

👍 💯 😁

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Within minutes it was fixed and I was on my way, good until my next free inspection next April. I figure at this rate, they’ll earn back their free inspections in about five years but by them I'll have fixed that exhaust.

They are absolutely cutting you a brake.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
fxr wrote:

d'oh! d'oh! And yet, accurate... Laughing Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Heh. :) Like your logic. :)

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
Good or bad..... Confused Confused

See my amended post for the rest of the story.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Good or bad..... :? :?

See my amended post for the rest of the story.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
campism wrote:
I might have more to report tomorrow.

And boy, do I. Details to follow later while I get out and salvage the rest of the day.
Good or bad..... Confused Confused
Popcorn Popcorn
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I might have more to report tomorrow.

And boy, do I. Details to follow later while I get out and salvage the rest of the day.

*later*

There I was, driving out to the West End this morning for my appointment at 10:30. Stopped for a couple of chores along the way and rolled in a little early and handed the van over to the service writer. I’ve been going to the dealer since the last of the independent shops closed, the one I could walk to from our old place. It’s been about a decade now and these guys have always done the state inspection for free. Don’t know where that came from but it’s enough to keep me going back; we’re not going to buy a new car from them and we have no other VWs to be serviced, so I’ll just roll with that mysterious generosity and bank the twenty bucks I would have spent each year.

Anyway, I put this exhaust on about 15 years ago and it’s been leaking for at least a third of that time, first a gasket at #2 exhaust flange and then various pinholes. There’s no way not to notice it, but I keep figuring that this time they’ll flunk me and I’ll have to buy and install a new exhaust, and every time, nope. It’s getting kind of ridiculous, to be honest.

By the way, that wash job yesterday was practically nullified by a storm overnight that doused everything with those little oak tree earring thingies and even more pollen.

So, they whisked the van to the shop and I walked around the lot, checking out the new and used VWs (mostly SUVs these days—a pity) and eventually the guy found me in the lounge and said they found a burned out brake light bulb and could replace it for $50 which, of course, I thought was out-freakin’-rageous. After thinking for a quarter-minute I told him to go ahead.

Follow my reasoning here: the van obviously has an exhaust leak and I know it, and they can’t not know it, and they know that I know they know. With a stroke of a key they can fail me and make me spend many hundreds of bucks on a new system, no matter who installs it. The guy said the bulb was the only problem, so if I pay them $50 to fix it we roll out for another year. If not, and I come back with my own bulb repair (after spending a few bucks and more time), they reinspect and maybe find that exhaust leak. What would you have done?

Within minutes it was fixed and I was on my way, good until my next free inspection next April. I figure at this rate, they’ll earn back their free inspections in about five years but by them I'll have fixed that exhaust.

Last edited by campism on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchbldr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Full 1.5" Spring replacement, Front Hub and Disc Brake conversion, new bushes all the way around, T3Technique steering reinforcement kit, LED Headlights, 16" wheels and tires, Bilstein Shocks, HD mirrors, and some engine and exhaust stuff. Ok, ok... Not all in one day. Very Happy

64 Notchback #gretlonthego
60 Bug #qkkaffer
80 Vanagon Westy #bertthebus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not quite is industrious as the post above, I only washed mine in preparation for the annual state inspection tomorrow. Just trying to make a good impression. I might have more to report tomorrow.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Time to wash the Winter crud off the VW- wash, vacuum, then hand wax for a Spring renewal…. Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 631

Jump to: