Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying A Bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
President_Alone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Buying A Bus Reply with quote

Ok, I've been in the market for about 2 years for finding the right bus for the right price and such. And I found one practically down the street from me for a very good price. It looked perfect from the pictures and was what I've been looking for. But then I was talking to a friend about the bus, and she said she has seen it around and it has a huge dent on the side. i looked at the pictures and sure enough it was there. I went to see the bus last night, to surprise the owner, but I couldn't find it. So how much would this cost to get fixed? What if I did it myself? How would you go about this?

Here's a picture of the dent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the guy did a good job hiding the dent in the picture. I still haven't checked out the bus for everything else.
Rex Surewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I don't see any huge dent..!? Or any dent..
President_Alone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its there. At the bottom of the panel In between the tires. looks like a wrinkle in the picture.
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just see the bumpers, that "dent" look like a reflection. It may not be too bad.
President_Alone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:
I just see the bumpers, that "dent" look like a reflection. It may not be too bad.

I hope so.
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't see it either, but if its above the rocker, it shouldn't be too hard to fix. look in the gallery for an inside shot of a panel. its pretty much just the metal skin.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opening the picture on my desktop, it does look like a fairly decent sized dent. if you go to look at it, look at underneath and behind it from the bottom of the bus. try and determine if the dent goes below the floorboard of the bus, if so, then you have a dented rockerpanel, which is a tougher fix.

From the looks of it, it looks like the dent may have also bent the 2 vertical ribs that support the exterioir skin sheetmetal. you might try and determine this by looking to see if the dent on the exterior maintains it general shape through the spots where the 2 ribs are (look on the backside of the rocker to determine where the 2 ribs are, you should see some flanges welded in a C shape on the floor board...i think the ribs are inline with the window pillars on the panel, but not certain about that)

i am not sure, but i don't think you could straighten the panel with simple hammers and dolleys if the vertical ribs are indeed bent (but i could very well be wrong about that)

if the ribs are dented, then i think you'd have to break several spot welds to push the sheet metal out, and you would also want to strighten the ribs and reweld it together so the skin is properly supported (otherwise, i think you could have a "oil canning" issue if anyone leaned against that panel).

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to SoFl to see this bus. it looks pretty but most of the "metal" is fiberglass. the front floors are mostly glass.. it had some steering issues when i drove it.. what is he asking now? wheni looked it was like 4500 or 4000... good luck.
The SBS #62

Red Hot Ad Specialties & Stuff...
Shirts and hoodies for shows or clubs.. we ship world wide...
www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to get this kid to email me pics for a while. Nothing. Last I talked to him he said that the engine needed a rebuild. A bearing was bad or something.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clear everything , theres no dent, maybe a door ding or two. also if anyone was going to suprise me that wouldnt happen, because i only gave my address out to people who came and saw it. i apologize for not sending any pics but my computer doesnt have a disk drive and my camera is a mavica that takes disks.

why fart and waste it.....when u can burp and taste it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: