Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Clearance Settings Confusion
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Valve Clearance Settings Confusion Reply with quote

Ok I've been kicking this around for a while. Last time I set the valves I set them to the Bentely's settings. When I was reading a Bug Chilton's it said .006". This Tech Manual by Henry Elfrink (1964) says .004 for both intake and exhaust. Type 3 Detectives guy said .008" for both. I'll like ok who's right who's wrong, WTF?

What do you bus guys set them at?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have always been told its .006 for an upright engine.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether the heads have long rocker studs or short ones. Old motors (1200) had long rocker studs and if you feel around the back between the pushrod tubes, you will feel the 2 studs rocker mounting studs extending down to the base of the head out the back side of the valve area. Short studs are flush with the back side and you will not feel the stud out the back side. The long studs should be set at .008 on both or .008 intake and .012 exhaust if you are a valve ajuster slacker. The later heads for the 1500 and 1600s have short studs and should be set between .004 and .006 depending on how much of a slacker you are. Not all 1200 heads will have long studs. A rebuilder may have put in short studs which would mean you use the tighter settings. They used to come in a cheap kit and are stronger than the long studs. The only way to be sure is to check.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW changed from long stud design in '64 I believe. There were some engines with a long stud head on one side and a short on the other as the heads were phased out. Can you say Zwitter 40 ? Laughing

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owners manual says .004".

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/kemp/page46.jpg

However, I've always set mine at .006". Probally because the first manual I ever owned was Muir's Idot Guide, and it says .006". And, old habits are hard to break.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do .004 on all valves and read in a few places this is OK if you are consistent with checking your valves. .006 or .008 are just too dam loud to me . . . .

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.004 definitely quiets the motor down a lot, but it will run a little hotter with the tighter gap.
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblakeney wrote:
I do .004 on all valves and read in a few places this is OK if you are consistent with checking your valves. .006 or .008 are just too dam loud to me . . . .

if you can hear them, you know they aren't burning. a little loose is better than a little tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: