Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Middle seat and front walk thru seat stand ash trays and mounts must be near the top of the list for impossible to find. I've kept my eye out for some time now but I've not seen any for sale and I need both.

Anyone have sources of these parts in the aftermarket?

What other parts are on your list for finding?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

This guy has some ash trays, not sure on the mounts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2628707

I see 10+ ash trays for sale over the past year or so, some had mounts but very few of the overall ads.

I do believe the mounts are hard to find.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the bulkhead panels I make for microbuses come with ashtray bracket installed.
( for walk-through as well)
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

the bulkhead panels I make for microbuses come with ashtray bracket installed.
( for walk-through as well)

Yes you do and are they ever beautiful! I'm thankful to have the one. It's the middle seat ashtray bracket I'm missing.

Anyone needing a perfect interior for their bus should really consider Clara's panels. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2wheelsport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Are you needing the chrome ashtray mount or the bracket that goes underneath the upholstery on the pressboard?
I have an extra ashtray mount if you need one.

Corey(blackdog1999)has some brackets he had reproduced. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2636667
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

I get a lot of requests for deluxe clocks.

walkthrough passenger side seats also.

I know that reproduction passenger seats are going to hit the market at some point. I have seen the production samples, and I tried to buy them since I have customers needing them. Split bus rear seats are in short supply, and not reproduced. 2/3 middle seats are not mass reproduced, but there is a guy converting bay seats and marketing them here.

We are really blessed with the amount of reproduction bus parts out there. They make it easier for people to get both the repro parts and the original parts since the repro parts soak up a lot of the demand.

I regularly help multiple people reproduce parts on the technical side, and sometimes lending out my rare parts and accessories to make my stuff less rare because I want more bus stuff out there. I would rather my stuff be less valuable and more stuff be available, although reproductions don't usually hurt the value of original stuff all that much.

Another problem that people run across frequently is that a part is reproduced, but out of stock. All the parts suppliers seem to be out of stock of more than 10% of their catalogs all the time. I recommend that anyone doing a restoration figure out everything they need and buy it all as soon as possible, because if you wait to buy something, you might have to wait and extra 3 months or 6 months until it is back in stock.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Currently sigla felt for front windows are rare as a vegan butcher
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Currently sigla felt for front windows are rare as a vegan butcher
I contacted the supplier that had that reproduced, and they have no plans to reproduce it again. Nobody else seems interested in doing it either.

I do have an easy workaround. Just slice the middle strip out of the bottom piece of felt. It works just fine and is hard to see the difference unless you look closely. I have had such success with it that I sold my last set of sigla felt to a friend, knowing that I could never get another set and I have buses that need it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

2wheelsport wrote:
Are you needing the chrome ashtray mount or the bracket that goes underneath the upholstery on the pressboard?
I have an extra ashtray mount if you need one.

Corey(blackdog1999)has some brackets he had reproduced. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2636667

I need both
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

Yep, I need a 12V version of a clock as well

Sad
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Lind wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Yep, I need a 12V version of a clock as well

Sad
Easy to convert a 6V bus clock to 12V by robbing the winder mech off of a '67-'69 type 3 clock. I have spare type 3 clocks if you need one.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
[Easy to convert a 6V bus clock to 12V by robbing the winder mech off of a '67-'69 type 3 clock. I have spare type 3 clocks if you need one.

I have the winder mechanism, looking for a very clean clock to put it in.

Another item seems to be the pieces of the rear seat back luggage bars that attach to the back of the seat
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

I have a 12V clock, ash tray holders and it will take a bit of digging may have the 3 luggage bar uprights as well.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Since you said aftermarket too, this guy used to or still does sell reproduction rear luggage bar uprights:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Garybon

His ad for them expired for some reason but he has other similar parts ads that you could use to ask him about the uprights.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unobtanium parts used or in the aftermarket Reply with quote

Front walk through seat stands available here. I have used some of their parts and the fit as well as others do.

http://classicsteelbody.com/collections/bus-cab-sheet-metal/products/walk-thru-conversion-kit

Going to be ordering this soon.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: