Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Hey all,
Do you think the VW bus market is getting softer? I've been watching VW Buses and Cabs being sold on sites like BAT, and I'm surprised by how much they're going for lately. I have a fully restored German-made SO-42 that I thought was worth a lot, but now I'm not so sure. Even though my classic insurance says it's worth more than what I've seen at auctions, it's strange to see even special buses like ambulances selling for less. Also, there are a lot of well restored Brazilian buses and clones (like the 23-window ones) selling for less money, which makes me wonder if that's affecting prices overall. VW specialty sites still list buses for really high prices, but this difference in auction prices makes me think about what's happening in the market overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

There are a bunch of threads like this in all the sub-forums on The Samba.

Possibly aside from the odd 'special' VW; prices seem to have softened in the last few years.

My take on it is that it's not surprising. A classic car is up there as an extreme example of a luxury good. A number of economies are down or fluctuating at the moment, so folks are having to make tougher decisions on what they spend their money on, or delay those decisions.

Whether air cooled VW prices in general pick up again when/if things stabilise is anyone's guess. The extent to which they prove to have cross-generational appeal that extends to millenals and gen-z may also affect that. They are, or will be, the next groups with the potential to have sufficient disposable income. Whether enough of them will want an old VW that they drive demand enough to raise prices only time will tell.

I wouldn't consider it sensible to buy any luxury good as an investment decision.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

I also watch BaT a lot to get an idea of real value.
Classic car prices overall went down after Covid. Not down to pre Covid levels, but some makes saw up to a 25% decline in value. Not sure specifically with buses but it’s pretty clear that project buses and daily driver buses took a huge hit and still have not recovered. Even nicely done buses haven’t. Collector level buses like most vintage cars still do well. Basically the rich who are insulated from an downturns will continue to buy a premium for what is rare and exotic and the rest of us will have to make hard decisions which affect our markets which is turds up to nice buses.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I also watch BaT a lot to get an idea of real value.
Classic car prices overall went down after Covid. Not down to pre Covid levels, but some makes saw up to a 25% decline in value. Not sure specifically with buses but it’s pretty clear that project buses and daily driver buses took a huge hit and still have not recovered. Even nicely done buses haven’t. Collector level buses like most vintage cars still do well. Basically the rich who are insulated from an downturns will continue to buy a premium for what is rare and exotic and the rest of us will have to make hard decisions which affect our markets which is turds up to nice buses.

Those have been my observations as well.

During covid, all cars were selling fast. Now cars are not selling as fast. People like buses, and buses sell.

I would also note that restoration costs have gone up. The prices of parts, goods and services have all gone up.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback. While economic downturns, uncertainties, and inflation can indeed decrease discretionary spending on luxury items like vintage buses, I believe there are additional factors at play within the bus market.

Andy made a noteworthy point about the "cross-generational aspect." As the collector base for vintage buses ages, there may be fewer new enthusiasts entering the market. Moreover, newer enthusiasts might not place as much value on factors such as originality or the country of manufacture, leading to a normalization of preferences across the board.

I also suspect that the higher supply of Brazilian and Mexican-made buses is contributing to the downward pressure on prices. There seems to be a significant increase in the availability of non-German buses for sale compared to five years ago, particularly Split Window buses from the 1970s. If you check the BAT auction results, you'll see what I mean. It appears that those who have been dreaming of owning a Split Window bus are increasingly turning to non-German made buses, as they are often much cheaper than their German counterparts.

When you have a chance, take a look at the BAT auction results for buses to see the trends firsthand. I can't believe the prices of below two buses , crazy, however I know auction prices can be bit unpredictable:
- fairly nice full functioning 1966 Volkswagen Type 2 Kombi sold for $9,761 on 4/6/24
- very nice full functioning 1979 Volkswagen Westphalia Camper sold for 12,000 on 5/2/24
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Both of the buses you are referring to are not main stream collectable.

There have been no quality original or restored buses for sale on BAT for over a year.

BAT also force sellers, much like, Mecum, Gooding, etc to accept lower reserves in order to list vehicles. Then the lesser quality Brazilian, sell for more than they should, but substantially less than a real 23 window for example.....thus setting comparables that BAT use as examples to try and convince owners of quality cars to settle for a lower reserves....a vicious circle. Hence knowledgable car sellers are not listing quality vehicles.

When the talking heads on media news shout that the economy is heading for a recession, people change their spending habits. Most likely a while, if ever, before quality cars show up on BAT again.

There are other alternatives to sell quality, valuable vehicles.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

I hope they all take a huge plunge, there's a lot of cars I'd like a shot at owning before I die!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Gas is on the rise, groceries are just Stupid, and to be frank, there is just not much good work around, so less money to risk on a luxury. All the talk is looking downward, just look at Gold prices. This is a good indicator. I deal with gold all my life, and i've never seen such increases in decades. $2300 per oz now, just a couple months ago I sold a couple kilos at $2000 per oz! 2 years back it was $1825. at 2.2 POUNDS, that is a very big diff. Gold tells (usually) a sure story of unsure times.
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
I hope they all take a huge plunge, there's a lot of cars I'd like a shot at owning before I die!

Lol - that makes two of us, but I do want our beloved VW buses to retain well Smile.
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Gas is on the rise, groceries are just Stupid, and to be frank, there is just not much good work around, so less money to risk on a luxury. All the talk is looking downward, just look at Gold prices. This is a good indicator. I deal with gold all my life, and i've never seen such increases in decades. $2300 per oz now, just a couple months ago I sold a couple kilos at $2000 per oz! 2 years back it was $1825. at 2.2 POUNDS, that is a very big diff. Gold tells (usually) a sure story of unsure times.

I think you might have made enough profit from that gold deal (2 kilos/64 ounces) to buy a Brazilian bus Smile.
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

There have been no quality original or restored buses for sale on BAT for over a year.

BAT also force sellers, much like, Mecum, Gooding, etc to accept lower reserves in order to list vehicles. Then the lesser quality Brazilian, sell for more than they should, but substantially less than a real 23 window for example.....thus setting comparables that BAT use as examples to try and convince owners of quality cars to settle for a lower reserves....a vicious circle. Hence knowledgable car sellers are not listing quality vehicles.

When the talking heads on media news shout that the economy is heading for a recession, people change their spending habits. Most likely a while, if ever, before quality cars show up on BAT again.

good points.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

chamilka wrote:

I think you might have made enough profit from that gold deal (2 kilos/64 ounces) to buy a Brazilian bus Smile.

Well first-off, Where is San DEIgo?

Secondly, Yes it's a shit load of money, but unfortunately my take could'nt even buy a blown-up late model Bug-even more-so today thanks to the economy, but I try to keep this business "In Our Country", not where the BUYERS are from.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

Auctions are weird and give odd results. It is a big risk to everyone for different reasons.

BAT is cheaper and easier than the regular auction houses, which charge around 20% of what the final price is. All of them want the cars to sell because they don't get a commission if it doesn't meet reserve, so they force low reserves on sellers. This can lead to a good deal for the buyer if the car is good, or a bad deal if the seller is getting off of a shiny dog of a car with unseen issues.

Private sales have their own issues, we are dealing with cars that are 50+ years old of course. Good cars have to compete with dodgy cars, and two cars that might look the same in pictures are very different in quality and value.

Good buses for reasonable prices sell quick on thesamba, so what we have left is largely either crap or overpriced, or both. There are gems hiding in plain sight, and deals to be had. Don't value a quality bus by using crap buses as comps, and vice versa.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Fully restored show room quality Model T/A’s are about 8 grand… As the people who remember die off, the genre becomes progressively cheaper.

Also, minimal people under 30 want something that requires the maintenance without the speed and dependability. Especially once the van-life stink sets in.

They’re making cars now where the manufacturer doesn’t even produce a vehicle with a plug for changing the transmission fluid… for better or worse that’s giving the young people what they want. Convincing a young adult with money and a dream to pay and stay engaged with a vehicle hobby that requires weekly adjustments to SOMETHING is a pretty big ask.
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Fully restored show room quality Model T/A’s are about 8 grand… As the people who remember die off, the genre becomes progressively cheaper.

Also, minimal people under 30 want something that requires the maintenance without the speed and dependability. Especially once the van-life stink sets in.

They’re making cars now where the manufacturer doesn’t even produce a vehicle with a plug for changing the transmission fluid… for better or worse that’s giving the young people what they want. Convincing a young adult with money and a dream to pay and stay engaged with a vehicle hobby that requires weekly adjustments to SOMETHING is a pretty big ask.

I’m 24 years old, my peers within 5-10 years older or younger than me all appreciate and would love to own a bus/ air cooled. When you’re looking at 8,500-15,000 for an “entry level” car that desire becomes more of an appreciation from afar. Especially for what the same money could get you elsewhere in the car scene…

Not to mention pompous attitudes, egos and gate keeping that deters the younger generations from getting into the hobby.
Hell I can’t join a Facebook group to research my T34 without providing chassis numbers, photographic evidence of ownership and joining a registry. Silly stuff

There’s plenty of people in my generation who don’t need “convincing to stay engaged or pay for a vehicle hobby that’ll need weekly adjustments”. There’s a huge car scene with the younger generation, just because you don’t see or hear from them doesn’t mean they're not there. Way less into VWs these days for the same reasons A/T models and tri-five Chevys have dropped in prices..

Go to a drift event or track day and you’ll likely see more than one group of kids swapping a $300 junkyard transmission, wrenching, tuning ect ect on a 80s/90s car just to put a couple laps down..

They’re making cars that won’t allow you to service a transmission because we live in a throw away society, not because the younger generation demands it.
If manufacturers provide a vehicle that could easily be serviced from home, kept alive and ran forever they wouldn’t have people lined up to buy a brand new car in 10 years. Same reason your iPhone last 3-4 years till it starts acting funky
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (2024) VW bus/Cab market trends Reply with quote

Quote:

I’m 24 years old, my peers within 5-10 years older or younger than me all appreciate and would love to own a bus/ air cooled. When you’re looking at 8,500-15,000 for an “entry level” car that desire becomes more of an appreciation from afar. Especially for what the same money could get you elsewhere in the car scene…

Not to mention pompous attitudes, egos and gate keeping that deters the younger generations from getting into the hobby.
Hell I can’t join a Facebook group to research my T34 without providing chassis numbers, photographic evidence of ownership and joining a registry. Silly stuff

There’s plenty of people in my generation who don’t need “convincing to stay engaged or pay for a vehicle hobby that’ll need weekly adjustments”. There’s a huge car scene with the younger generation, just because you don’t see or hear from them doesn’t mean they're not there. Way less into VWs these days for the same reasons A/T models and tri-five Chevys have dropped in prices..

Go to a drift event or track day and you’ll likely see more than one group of kids swapping a $300 junkyard transmission, wrenching, tuning ect ect on a 80s/90s car just to put a couple laps down..

They’re making cars that won’t allow you to service a transmission because we live in a throw away society, not because the younger generation demands it.
If manufacturers provide a vehicle that could easily be serviced from home, kept alive and ran forever they wouldn’t have people lined up to buy a brand new car in 10 years. Same reason your iPhone last 3-4 years till it starts acting funky

You're absolutely correct! Many young people are deeply engaged in car culture, showing up enthusiastically at events like car shows, Cars & Coffee gatherings, drifting competitions, and track days, not to mention spending countless hours tinkering with their rides. However, it's hard to ignore the stark reality that the ownership of vintage VW buses among the younger generation is notably sparse at most of the VW events. additionally, some studies indicate that Gen-Z is showing less enthusiasm for car culture overall, with declining interest in driving and even obtaining driver's licenses. below is from the Washington post article I read:

"In 1997, 43 percent of 16-year-olds and 62 percent of 17-year-olds had driver’s licenses. In 2020, those numbers had fallen to 25 percent and 45 percent. “Anecdotally, we’re hearing that younger people aren’t driving or getting their licenses as quickly as in the past,” said Mark Friedlander, the director of communications at the Insurance Information Institute"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: