Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 questions re: Torsion Bar adjustments
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: 3 questions re: Torsion Bar adjustments Reply with quote

I've got the socket and have made some adjustments in the past but it's been long enough that the knowledge I had stored in my head has since slipped so I'm refreshing. There are a ton of threads on this topic her and on other sites, but they are kinda all over the map with their discussions. My three questions are ...

1. There are 2 torsion bar bolts underneath the front end - do they lift/lower the van on the same side that they are located, or is there an opposite relationship (adjust the bolt on one side for the van to raise/lower the opposite side of the van?)?

2. Tightening the bolt (upwards) raises the ride height and loosening the bolt (downward) lowers the ride height, correct?

3. There will be forces applied to the torsion bar in all situations of some kind, but one is recommended for making adjustments ... A) wheels on the ground, no jacks, or B) front end raised on jacks or jack stands with force from the ground (and weight of the engine) on the suspension relieved. I can't remember if it's A or B.

While there are other considerations as well, these are the only 3 that I need to confirm personally before making the adjustments. I remember the rest.

Many thanks pals!!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3 questions re: Torsion Bar adjustments Reply with quote

To answer your questions:

1. the torsion bars do not have a crossover relationship. The adjuster for the passenger side affects the passenger side only.

2. tightening the adjusting nut, or in other words, increasing the exposed thread of the bolt, will increase the front ride height for that side only.

3. torsion bar adjustments are tricky, because you have to adjust countering forces as you proceed through the tightening process. It's possible for the torsion bar to come out of its frame saddle near the bulkhead behind the fuel tank if you do not have some counterforce on the steering knuckle. That force is usually by means of a jack on the knuckle, or by the installed wheel on the ground.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 3 questions re: Torsion Bar adjustments Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
To answer your questions:

1. the torsion bars do not have a crossover relationship. The adjuster for the passenger side affects the passenger side only.

2. tightening the adjusting nut, or in other words, increasing the exposed thread of the bolt, will increase the front ride height for that side only.

3. torsion bar adjustments are tricky, because you have to adjust countering forces as you proceed through the tightening process. It's possible for the torsion bar to come out of its frame saddle near the bulkhead behind the fuel tank if you do not have some counterforce on the steering knuckle. That force is usually by means of a jack on the knuckle, or by the installed wheel on the ground.

kourt

Thanks Kourt! I'm going to file away in my brain that it's easiest to just adjust the bolts while the van is resting securing on the ground in park.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions re: Torsion Bar adjustments Reply with quote

Mostly you are correct. My advice is to also clean and lube the threads on the torsion bar adjuster. It may not help at all, but if it's stiff you'll at least know you've done all you can to assist.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: