Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clicking switches
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Clicking switches Reply with quote

I've had this bus for 20 years and the electrics generally work: signals, brake lights, emergency flashers, etc. I've had to replace the 9-pin box a couple of times and I probably have crossed some wires somewhere as the turn signal indicator doesn't work on the speedometer anymore.

Right now though, I am hearing a clicking noise sometimes when I am on the brake at an intersection. Has anyone else had this happen? It has occurred before and that is usually what prompts me to install another 9-pin box. I was looking at wiring diagrams in the archives, and I have another box that is not even indicated on the 1966 wiring diagram
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's the small one on the right by the heater knob.

It may be that a previous owner cobbled up something. Like I said, everything generally works (outside of the current braking click noise). Any advice short of rewiring the bus?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Are you aware that there is an addendum to the wiring diagram specifically for the 1966 year models that has to deal with the flashing hazard switch knob and the flashers in general? It's in the owners manuals section of this forum.

Good Luck!
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

It looks like I have both the flasher relay plus the 9-pin box that comes with the 1966 addendum. They have been working reasonably in tandem for the most part. I will have to figure this out.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Is that not normal? I think my ‘66 does that.

The brake lights go through the 9 pin box and through the turn signal switch. It’s the same bulb.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Some photos of how my 66 microbus is wired at the 9 pin and also the relay near the heater lever/center pipe. Stick on numbers were for my reference, note that terminal KBL has no connection; all signals flashers brake lights work fine only anomaly is that the high beam indicator in the lower center of the speedometer is constantly lit while the ignition is on and or engine is running.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

In my 66 with a 9-pin for brakes/hazard/turn, the little relay box to the right of it is a highbeam headlight relay ( but mine is silver instead of black )
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
In my 66 with a 9-pin for brakes/hazard/turn, the little relay box to the right of it is a highbeam headlight relay ( but mine is silver instead of black )

More than certain my 66 is the same.

I also want to think I recall a thread specific to the 66 models where the wiring diagram suggested a wire from the hazard switch to a light in the speedometer but for some reason that wire would wind up heating up to the point of melting it.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Highbeam relay? Amazing that I can do this for 50 years and still be so ignorant. All the wires just disappear behind the dash so I assumed it was a flasher unit.

Back to the original comment then: there are times when stepping on the brakes at an intersection results in a series of clicking sounds coming from the vicinity of the 9-pin box. It may be happening as well under travel but I would never hear it above the road noise. It does not happen consistently. I have checked the grounds of the 9-pin and the brake lights and all are solid. Maybe it is just a dying 9-pin and I will have to replace it soon.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Simple enough to figure out if the sound is coming from the 9 pin box:

Put your finger on it before braking. Do you feel the "click" when you brake?

With the bus sitting in your driveway turn the ignition to ON and put a large screwdriver between your ear and the 9 pin box then push the brake pedal. Hear the "click"? If not keep looking with the ear and screwdriver!

Good Luck!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
Highbeam relay? Amazing that I can do this for 50 years and still be so ignorant. All the wires just disappear behind the dash so I assumed it was a flasher unit.

Back to the original comment then: there are times when stepping on the brakes at an intersection results in a series of clicking sounds coming from the vicinity of the 9-pin box. It may be happening as well under travel but I would never hear it above the road noise. It does not happen consistently. I have checked the grounds of the 9-pin and the brake lights and all are solid. Maybe it is just a dying 9-pin and I will have to replace it soon.

So given that there are relays inside the 9-pin box, it's probably the sound of one clicking on and off. Or maybe the flasher relay inside the 9-pin box is getting powered unnecessarily for some reason. I've just received an old 9-pin and its acting in all kinds of unpredictable ways, so I think I might just open it up and see if a cleaning of contact points and whatnot might straighten things out for me.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking switches Reply with quote

Buggeee said: "So given that there are relays inside the 9-pin box, it's probably the sound of one clicking on and off. Or maybe the flasher relay inside the 9-pin box is getting powered unnecessarily for some reason. I've just received an old 9-pin and its acting in all kinds of unpredictable ways, so I think I might just open it up and see if a cleaning of contact points and whatnot might straighten things out for me."

Let me know if you find something fixable. I would rather maintain them than replace them. The fact that they misbehave only sporadically suggests that they are affected by some environmental factor such as high humidity or extended lack of use, rather than inappropriate wire connections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: