Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

I got this pertronix laying around from a previous project 1847 I’d like to find out if I can run this in my 1966 1300 based 1600cc single port
I like the stock distributor it does the job well and my bus really goes for a bus that is so if I can just pop that in instead if questionable Bosch points that would be great!
pertronix wants me to buy their distributor and like I said I’m happy with my stock 1300 distributor

Any thoughts??

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

If it is the 1847A kit it will drop right in, that is the kit for the 009/050.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Is the 1300 distributor a vacuum only like the 1500 distributor? If so you will not have any advance at all. That would be a HUGE step backward! I am running a 1500 carb and matching vacuum only distributor on my 1641 SP and could not be happier. Good power and great drivability.

Yes I bought a Pertronics III distributor for another engine and it failed in only 8 months. Here is what I learned. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711733&highlight=

Quite frankly if I were you, I would leave well enough alone. Most aftermarket distributors these days create more problems than they fix. Touching up the points with a point file and resetting the gap and timing is a 15 to 20 minute job that unless you are daily driving them only needs doing once every couple of years. If daily driving then maybe twice a year at the very most, not a big deal!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Is the 1300 distributor a vacuum only like the 1500 distributor?
Actually we don't know until he posts the part number. It could be a 009.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:

If so it would not be the stock distributor. Those came on the industrial engines... no?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Is your Bus 6 volt or 12 volt? There are different Pertronix units for each.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:

If so it would not be the stock distributor. Those came on the industrial engines... no?

That's assuming he knows what the stock distributor should be.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

[quote="oprn"]Is the 1300 distributor a vacuum only like the 1500 distributor? If so you will not have any advance at all. That would be a HUGE step backward! I am running a 1500 carb and matching vacuum only distributor on my 1641 SP and could not be happier. Good power and great drivability.

Yes I bought a Pertronics III distributor for another engine and it failed in only 8 months. Here is what I learned. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711733&highlight=

Quite frankly if I were you, I would leave well enough alone. Most aftermarket distributors these days create more problems than they fix. Touching up the points with a point file and resetting the gap and timing is a 15 to 20 minute job that unless you are daily driving them only needs doing once every couple of years. If daily driving then maybe twice a year at the very most, not a big deal![/quote]
Yes it’s the same vacuum one caps a little different to the one I had on my 1500 I haven’t researched a replacement cap and rotor for it yet nor the points will have to get the model number it looks different might just be a 1300 thing

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Is your Bus 6 volt or 12 volt? There are different Pertronix units for each.

12volt now

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:

Good point what is the stock distributor on a 1300? This motor is now a 1600 who knows what else was changed out !

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:

Good point what is the stock distributor on a 1300? This motor is now a 1600 who knows what else was changed out !

What is the engine serial number and what carb is on it?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

What distributor do you have?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

There is a chart on this site somewhere that gives you all the matching carb and distributor numbers that correspond to year of manufacture. I just don't see it at the moment.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

The early vacuum only distributors used a brass post for mounting the points which are not interchangeable with the 009 points design.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

The chart is in the technical tab under miscellaneous titled Bosch tune up parts.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

I'm running a Pertronix 1849 on my Bosch 205k distributor. I contacted Pertronix and this is the kit they said would fit. My distributor advances without any issues.
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I installed the 1847V into my bosch 205T, and it wasn't "drop in" per se:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778842&highlight=
I read somewhere at some point that Bob Hoover recommended electronic points, so that's why i was interested in trying them personally.
I've heard failures are common these days though, although I haven't personally experienced any.
Given how easy it is to clean/adjust points, and how my kit didn't just "drop" in, I'd probably just save my money and stick with points in the future.

As a side note, I'd also heard that points and condenser quality it's what is used to be too, although I cannot speak to any person experience on that.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

what's even funnier is all of you talking about a 009 that are going to confuse this guy if he looks and finds 009 in the numbers on his '66 1300 only short body fat cap vacuum advance distributor...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Yesterday 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
what's even funnier is all of you talking about a 009 that are going to confuse this guy if he looks and finds 009 in the numbers on his '66 1300 only short body fat cap vacuum advance distributor...

Correct. the original distributor is a 0231 137 009 which is vacuum only. A 0231 178 009 is mechanical only.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Yesterday 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pertronix work in the 1300 distributor’ Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Correct. the original distributor is a 0231 137 009 which is vacuum only. A 0231 178 009 is mechanical only.

Correct. Correct. The 0 231 137 009 is an SVA distributor. There are many other distributors with 009 in the Bosch number.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: