Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Almost Ready to Run! My engine build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Thanks to folks here, mainly Alstrup and Brian_e for helping me get through this build; Finally almost ready to put in the car and fire up, want to post the results etc here;

Here is the build, going into a 68 'Beeble' Razz

New Autolinea Case
Cast counterweight 74mm Crank
85.5 Moresa Pistons (short skirts for crank clearance)
CB 2280 'mis-grind' with [email protected] duration, also Alstrup noted the timing events looked 4* advanced from the original grind, so I installed it 4* retarded with straight cuts;
Empi stock replacement heads, bowl blended and 4 angle job, stainless valves, single springs, thanks to Brian_e with guidance on this, heads milled and reworked to 49ccs from 52cc
Compression Ratio is 8.7:1 0.043-0.046 deck height side to side
1.25 rockers, solid shafts, stock pushrods worked with .015 shims, lash caps and the 070 in cylinder shims to maintain geometry;
Cheap ass 1 3/8 header, single quiet pack
CB perf center section, currently stock 34 pict on it; Maybe go 37 pict, also have a single 40 idf setup
123 distributor, fully programmable
new dog house set upgrade from single port
cheap ass lightened flywheel
ported DP end castings;
CB filter pump 26mm
everything was balanced
New clutch and 1700lb pressure plate
Pertronix Coil

Im thinking this should run half decent in the bug, currently piecing together a new gearbox to go with this too using advice from the gearbox build someone did in here recently; Thats another post though;

Will update here once its in and broken in;

Last edited by Millionmph on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Why straight cut gears with single spring?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I like noise LOL, I just wanted the engine to have some mechanical whirrrr sound to it,
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Depends which straight cut gears you bought…most are quiet

As for why…why put more load on your cam thrust bearing? There’s no downside to straight cut gears. The old magnum gears and the CB Pro gear sets are loud

The rest aren’t really noticeable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Millionmph wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I like noise LOL, I just wanted the engine to have some mechanical whirrrr sound to it,

Run a stinger Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

I dig it. Only thing it could use different is a pair of kadrons. THEN it would be perfect!!.

Brian
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Ya me too.
Looks like a sweet little build.
X2 on more carb.

What’s That Noise?!?
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Almost Ready to Run! My engine build Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I dig it. Only thing it could use different is a pair of kadrons. THEN it would be perfect!!.

Brian

not this year, this build stretched the budget, can look at these for my xmas gift for the car this winter LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: