Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 2110 startup didn't go well
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Finally got to the point where I could start my new engine this last weekend. Long story short, 1 & 2 run great, 3 & 4 have low compression. I noticed this trying to adjust the idle jets on that side had made no change in how the engine sounded.
At first I thought maybe I left a paper towel in the intake, but there was nothing in there but a puddle of gas. I also thought maybe it was the zero valve clearance, but changing to 0.005" didn't help.

The only thing I can imagine is the pushrod tubes.

I got the SS tubes from CB and they are a lot stiffer than stock. I don't think torquing the head nuts was enough to overcome that stiffness. I was aware of this when I was putting it together but I thought I had gotten the head to seat.

Has anyone experienced this?

I'm gonna try to retorque the head and if that doesn't get it that side will need to come a apart again. I'm sure this means all the pushrods will probably be too long.
I've used those pushrod tubes on several engines, including two of mine. They are NOT the problem. They crush easily when torquing the heads even though stiffer than stock.. a little
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
yep 1567 is what I have. They are definitely different. One sticky widget is they have a whole different seal kit that you have to purchase separately. All it is is what looks like a standard bottom seal and an O-ring for the top. Well, I didn't realize this until build day so I came up with my own O-ring and used stock bottom seals. This just might be where MY problem started. Maybe the seal CB uses for the bottom is just a tad shorter than the one I got in my Ehlring kit.

Details, details. Get me everytime. Good thing I don't do this for a living.
Those seem to work better just stretching a stock style silicone pushrod tube seal on the end made for the O ring. Last time we assembled with those, the O rings went in the trash. Also as said above, time for a leak down test
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

I installed some stock tubes today. I had to readjust lash by a few thousandths. Not sure if this indicates I gained some ground. I took a compression reading right away and it rose to just over 90. Still not good. Running it nothing had changed.

At this point I'm considering honing the cylinders. I don't know if turning it over by hand while building the engine can ruin your hone. Maybe these were kinda borderline honed to start. I just went with the hone from the factory (A&A).

I also considered maybe just running the piss out of it as it is and cross my fingers the rings wear in. Just doesn't seem right to do with a new build though.

Looks like I'm done this week. I'm out of town this weekend for work. It's gonna kill me until I can get back and work on it. I will see if I can pick up a leak down kit. Maybe I'll just take one of my compression testers and cut the quick connect off and put my compressor hose on it so I can blow some air in the cylinder.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

The comp tester fitting has a shraeder valve in it. Cant use that for leak down
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Good point. I'm gonna pick one up, maybe tomorrow and see what happens. If I don't hear any leak, I'm gonna get in it and run it hard for about 20 minutes around the neighborhood and see if the rings just need some time to seat. I haven't driven it yet, just ran it for a matter of minutes to try tuning things.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

This situation reminds me of a sportbike motor I built back in the early 2000's. I had a local speed shop buy do all my machine work and we bored a 750 GSXR out to 907cc. Well, during the process I had taken the rack of carbs apart to clean them and if you know anything about motorcycle carbs they can be a pita getting them balanced. Well it took some time while the engine was first running. The rings never got seated fully and actually caused a piston to fail. When I went back to the machinist he told me I needed to get on it and ring it's neck out as soon as it's started up. That cost me a fresh hone, a set of rings a new head gasket, another set of pistons and some head work. Ugh that sucked.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

You people crack me up - Laughing

You got low compression on an entire bank and you mess around w/ pushrod tubes? You are bleeding from your arm and put the bandaid on the ankle?

Likely the culprit = bad valve and/or seat not concentric. A leakdown will def show that. That is why I will never let go my Sioux valve and seat grinder. That is about as good as you are gonna get.

Cutters are fine if you are perfectly concentric. But any wobble during the cut will make one leaky mess requiring a teardown.

As soon is it is together, take a compression test. YOu will know then if anything is awash before you even hook up the rest of the motor. No sense building it all the way thru without checking and you end up w/ this.

A?nd I have never seen a pushrod tubes so hard it pushes on the heads preventing full torquing. And it is stroker - so you will have to stretch it in the first place.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

For ring break in, you need to do it right away, after cam/lifter break in is done. Sometimes, that may not be possible though. The cylinders can get glazed in a little as 30 minutes of idle running. If that is the case, you may never seat the rings fully. A lot of little problems can cause a delay like that – carb adjust, leaks, timing, etc.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

What rings are you using?

Grant cast iron break in easier than the chrome rings.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Who you callin people???! Shocked lol

I replaced the tubes to rule out something I already knew to be an issue. Fact. You may not have experienced it or believe it and that's ok. I got nothin to prove.

While replacing I was inspecting along the way. The heads were brand new Tim's. I'm not saying something couldn't have been put together wrong by one of the current well known head massagers, but I think it's more likely to be the dumbass who put the motor together, yours truly, that screwed the pooch somewhere. I've only been dealing with this problem for about 24hrs and I'm sorry to everyone that I don't have a leak down tester right this second to check it out. lol I've got to work to pay for these mistakes!
As others have said, that's about the only thing that's going to give me an answer at this point. I have run this by everyone I know who might have any idea and they're all stumped. I think I'm ok for ruling out some easy things that I noted were a problem while building my own engine instead of jumping of a cliff and assuming Performance Workshop can't do a valve job on a new pair of heads. Not to mention, this affects both cylinders of the same head which just decreases the odds I have two terrible valves on the same head causing low compression. lol Now I may be people, but I've got more sense than that. It's something I did or didn't do. More than likely, I should have honed the cylinders instead of trusting AA to do it right the first time. It was one of those things I didn't feel comfortable doing because I've never done it to a new pair of jugs before. But it seems like the couple times I've swapped jugs on my VWs I always ran into a compression issue prematurely probably because I didn't give the rings a better situation to seat.
I do appreciate the fervent debate. It makes me think you really care, but I know you'll quickly deny caring about us people. I kid. I'm not so easily upset . I'm not BFD. You're just trying to help.

74 Thing, these are just the balck cast rings that come with the AA pistons.

Chris, I didn't have a cam to break-in so this is kinda a different break-in scenario but I do think maybe I glazed my cylinders on that side and just got lucky on 1&2. Honestly, I think I had a torque issue with the heads due to binding tubes (really you gotta check those tubes out if you don't believe me) which then caused poor compression and ignition and hindered the ring seat on that side. I may hook up a air hose tonight just for an auditory leak down check to see if I get some kind of clue. I don't have any more time to work on it this week but that may change if I think I have an idea. Priorities.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

I thought that AA came with a chrome ring and you have to order the Grant cast iron rings separately.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Not unless they make black chrome rings. I may be wrong, this is my first go 'round. But all my rings were black from what I remember.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

You will glaze the rings if you do not have proper end-gaps for the size piston you are using. Not adequate end-gaps will cook them rings and gall the cylinder walls. Add to that if you run too rich a mixture -most def. will cook the rings from fuel wash. There won't be much oil left on the walls to lube the rings.

Many will risk just sticking a piston in their barrels when they buy them. With every build, you need to take the rings out and re-check to make sure they have proper end-gaps. Even the factory can screw things up once in a while. Your job is to hunt for the one out-of-specs.

STick to the factory manual and you will be fine - is all I am trying to convey.

..and the bitch-slap is the perk of the threads. Laughing
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

I got it.
end gaps is easy though
it's the next layer that gets me
those little things that you notice if you've done it a few times
those are the things I kinda obsessed over building this

When I torqued the heads the first time with the new SS pushrod tubes I didn't believe that they would hold it back. One look at the gap under the head made me wonder though. I un-torqued and torqued it a few times over until I felt more confident about it. I'm still not sold that was a problem. WHen I looked at the chambers after running it there was the expected film of soot in the chamber from crappy ignition, but I didn't see any evidence of a area where it was escaping over the cylinder wall. On the contrary, I saw the imprint of the cylinder all the way around. So the jury is still out.

We'll get her fingered out
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

You got low compression on an entire bank and you mess around w/ pushrod tubes? You are bleeding from your arm and put the bandaid on the ankle?

Likely the culprit = bad valve and/or seat not concentric. A leakdown will def show that. That is why I will never let go my Sioux valve and seat grinder. That is about as good as you are gonna get.

Cutters are fine if you are perfectly concentric. But any wobble during the cut will make one leaky mess requiring a teardown.

As soon is it is together, take a compression test. YOu will know then if anything is awash before you even hook up the rest of the motor. No sense building it all the way thru without checking and you end up w/ this.

A?nd I have never seen a pushrod tubes so hard it pushes on the heads preventing full torquing. And it is stroker - so you will have to stretch it in the first place.
Yup.. I was trying to be less straight forward maybe, but you got it! A PUSHROD TUBE WILL NOT be the cause of this. I was thinking valves myself. Saw this recently where someone replaced valve guides and never re cut the seats to match... A Leakdown Test Here would tell a lot
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Brian, are these the infamous push rod tubes you've been struggling with? These appear to be stainless steel and they are clean through, no web, just round through and through.

They measure 7-5/8" from the end of the straight tube on both ends of the convolutes.

I'm looking up on the web and found EMPI "windage" style that look exactly like these. Mine have nothing inside and only now guessing that the convolutes are the "windage" vanes.

Which end goes where, long end into the head or the block.

Are these good to use, or do the spring loaded ones?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, Dan
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Dan, the long end goes block side.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Dan, the long end goes block side.

Thanks, Dan
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 2110 startup didn't go well Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the tubes. Notice they only shrink on one end. Being SS they are ridiculously stiff. There is no stretching them out by hand even if you wanted to. They worked fine on my other head. I think they will work in a narrow range.

I'm not going to argue with people about whether they can throw off torqueing heads unless they can show me they've used them. Plus I don't think it helps me figure out what to do next. Regardless of what I think, I need a leak down test to come to a conclusion. Won't get to it till next week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: