Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

A Florida man wondered why his automobile insurance quote was double what he was previously paying. He found out from an insurance agent that he had been rejected because of information in his 'LexisNexis report'. The report "contained details about 258 trips he had taken in his Cadillac over the past six months. His file included the distance he had driven, when the trips started and ended, and an accounting of any speeding and hard braking or accelerating. The data had been provided by General Motors — the manufacturer of his Cadillac."

I wonder if any of you have had an experience like his.

Read the complete article from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/technology/gm-l...=url-share
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

After 44 years together, the stories she could tell...

Shocked

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

all hidden in the terms and conditions small print which nobody is going to read but just tick the box...

A spokeswoman for G.M., Malorie Lucich, previously said that customers enrolled for SmartDriver in their connected car app or at the dealership, and that a clause in the OnStar privacy statement explained that their data could be shared with “third parties.” Asked about the lawsuit, she said by email that the company was “reviewing the complaint,” and had no comment, pointing instead to a statement the company previously gave about OnStar Smart Driver.

“G.M.’s OnStar Smart Driver service is optional to customers,” the statement said. “Customer benefits include learning more about their safe driving behaviors or vehicle performance that, with their consent, may be used to obtain insurance quotes. Customers can also unenroll from Smart Driver at any time.”

kerrching for lawyers (as usual)

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

State Farm says they will give me a lower rate if I put a little spy box in my truck but I say nope. My right foot gets heavy sometimes...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

I have the Gieco little white box in my Tahoe. It always has me speeding on the same hills that everyone speeds on. It keeps me in check, sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Could be any car even my POS 1974 VW. WTF how can that be? I’ve got a Pike Pass toll reader on the windshield which we thought was cool 25 years ago and laughed at the people stopping to pay. Then a few years ago everyone got new license plates with a chip or something to identify you and your car using flock camera. They love to cite examples of how dangerous criminals have been brought to justice using this technology. Cops had a shootout here and killed a guy after he was located driving the toll road here. I post pics of me driving the old bug fast but the other 99% I’m driving with the pack blending in.

A way out might be to use a year of manufacture license plate on the old classic bug. I got 1974 plate but here’s a cool fact. Because of a prison riot the inmates burned the building where plates were made. Some were issued with burn marks, they are collectible now and you can still find them as never issued because scavengers rushed in and took some. Unable to meet demand Arkansas prisons tooled up and made some plates for us, they’ve got a red border and are collectible now. Then some big brain figured out they could install a sticker to make 1973 plates valid. But in order to run the YOM you are required to have a up to date regular plate in the car to show law enforcement upon request. Fuck them I could do all that and carry the chipped plate in a shielded bag to defeat the reader😂 Be sure to grow a beard and wear sunglasses, be the man with no eyes like the guard from Cool Hand Luke because facial recognition is up and coming. Leave the cellphone at home too because that thing is listening to everything you are saying and that Fitbit you wear is gathering intel. Fuck it crank up some tunes.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

The company I used to work for installed GPS units in all our trucks to keep an eye on us. Our Boss was given monthly reports and would review them at our safety meetings. They would also give us a call on our phones if we were speeding for more than 5 minutes. That was fine, I had no issue with that.

What we did have an issue with was what they termed as "racing" and "hard braking". It took a while to get them to tell us what the "racing" was all about. Turns out that it was hard acceleration. We worked in a rural area so anytime we pulled out to pass a tractor or a farm truck and planted it hard we were "racing"!

On the "hard braking" issue, the #1 cause of collisions in the region was wildlife. The deer, elk and moose have a habit of waiting in the ditch until you are almost there and then making a dash for the other side of the road. Most often this happens at dusk or at night.

So we asked the safety department if they would rather we hit the deer and dawdled around the tractors and had a head on? No brownie points were gained and there was no policy change.

As our friend Mark likes to say "You can't fix stupid!"
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The company I used to work for installed GPS units in all our trucks to keep an eye on us. Our Boss was given monthly reports and would review them at our safety meetings. They would also give us a call on our phones if we were speeding for more than 5 minutes.

Canada Post has essentially the same thing now. The supervisors will jump into their personal vehicles and race out of the office to find you on your route to let you know that you accelerated too fast or that your seatbelt was off for 30 seconds.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
… Leave the cellphone at home too because that thing is listening to everything you are saying and that Fitbit you wear is gathering intel. Fuck it crank up some tunes.

A local cyclist was convicted of arson for burning political signs after being tracked by his phone app “Strava”.

https://timcast.com/news/man-who-set-fire-to-trump-sign-identified-by-bicycling-gps-data/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
oprn wrote:
The company I used to work for installed GPS units in all our trucks to keep an eye on us. Our Boss was given monthly reports and would review them at our safety meetings. They would also give us a call on our phones if we were speeding for more than 5 minutes.

Canada Post has essentially the same thing now. The supervisors will jump into their personal vehicles and race out of the office to find you on your route to let you know that you accelerated too fast or that your seatbelt was off for 30 seconds.

They haven't done that for my wife but then she runs her own car so they have no control over it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

you can keep this modern car BS.
l'm not interested in any of it.

619 201 0310
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

There no chips in plates, it is done by reading them optically. Even your old bug is tracked by cameras. You can put plates on them which obscure the vision but most of these are illegal and you can get ticketed for that
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

just add some mud.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There no chips in plates, it is done by reading them optically. Even your old bug is tracked by cameras. You can put plates on them which obscure the vision but most of these are illegal and you can get ticketed for that

I’ve made full use of the year of manufacture law & run an unissued license plate from 1970 on my car. Sure, they can track it from image to image, but there’s nothing to connect it to me.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Don’t run it up here. If it isn’t issued it will come up for an immediate pullover and citation
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

CT doesn't link our YOM plates to the car either. The desk clerk/ specialty plate division approves or denies the plate as correct for the vehicle and signs the paper. It gets filed at Wethersfield and you keep a copy in the car with the issued plate. If you're stopped you present the plate and official DMV form signed by the DMV official stating the allowed use of the plate. A lot of people get stopped because it's a relatively unknown program, but most cops have better things to do.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don’t run it up here. If it isn’t issued it will come up for an immediate pullover and citation

you're full of shit

I got pulled over with my YOM plates in NY. I presented the registration and the CT permission slip required to run the YOM plates

I was told to have a nice day.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Recent car example...

My Benz SUV is the subject of a minor recall. Apparently some people ran a hose in the back, filling up the spare tire well, and shorted out a nearby fuel pump. No fire risk, but the engine can quit. Fortunately brakes and steering will continue to work long enough to pull safely off the road, should it happen. But I don't routinely water my car like a lawn, and I close the hatch before running through a car wash, but that's just me.. Rolling Eyes

So the recall is to drill a hole in the bottom of the well.

Ok, I'm fine with that... but the damn CA nanny state will not let me re-register the car until it is done!

The need for biennial smog is on large bold print in a graphic box at the top. The notice to have the recall done is buried in the fine print lower down. I didn't see it. The smog checker pointed it out to me.

Now I have to take a day off work for a NON-SAFETY recall to get this done before my registration lapses.

Meanwhile, jalopies with no brakes and leaking gas get a pass...

The problem with these do-gooders is that they have NO common sense or a sense of proportion. They are on a crusade, and facts don't matter.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't you glad you don't have a VW that can rat you out? Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
A Florida man...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/technology/gm-l...=url-share

I expect a lot more whenever the title begins with "Florida Man" Laughing .

The wife recently rented a car in Miami the other week. She said it would tell her the speed limit every time it was exceeded, even by a MPH. I jokingly told her that the rental company would hand over all the speeding tickets when she returned the car... Hopefully this is far from reality. HOPEFULLY!
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: