Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

Holy hell Harry, she is beautiful!
Couple small observations:
First thing I saw were the heater surrounds already mentioned…
The body hardware under the back seat is painted red, is that a Karmann thing?
Missing the preheat flaps and arms in your air cleaner for a reason?
Upper fresh air hose clamps are usually turned to the inside.
The flange head bolts on the mudflap brackets must have replaced the original Kamax ones for a longer thread?
Missing German benzin in the fuel tank and air in the tires… Razz
Love it man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

House wrote:

Good question - I hadn't noticed that detail on others, before (not a lot of people take pictures of that hardware) - I'll have to research.

House wrote:
Missing the preheat flaps and arms in your air cleaner for a reason?

WHAT??? OMG! *This* is a big reason why I posted these pictures! Wow - most of the responses are very detailed, and impressive to know for a purist like myself - but this problem is so obvious, I can't believe I didn't see it. I noticed it on other people's cars, but not mine! Looking through the history of my car, at one time it had a flap on the right side, but it never had one on the left side - and I never noticed. Luckily, I have a spare air cleaner with those on there, so I'll clean them up. Thank you for pointing out something I completely missed! I'm kicking myself!

House wrote:

Upper fresh air hose clamps are usually turned to the inside.
The flange head bolts on the mudflap brackets must have replaced the original Kamax ones for a longer thread?

That's interesting... hmmm... do you have a picture of the correct hardware?

House wrote:

Missing German benzin in the fuel tank and air in the tires… Razz

Ha ha.... I'll have some shipped over here... Wink

Thanks for the inputs! Unfortunately, people can only respond on pictures that are posted - and I only posted 28 of them. I might have to create a website with pictures of every detail for review. You guys are awesome!!!

Thanks!!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

I create to suit my own preferences which usually includes some custom aspects ... Ill state... this is Absolutely .....stunning .. Same color combo Ill be using on my last Beetle I'll resurrect a 61 convertible

I certainly respect those who take the effort and pain to make things as original as possible ...... at least most of time I try to.   Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question... .

Why does it have two build sequence stamps ?

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

House is correct regarding the upper fresh air tubes.
I looked at a few owners manuals and they all show the upper fresh air tube clamps turned inward.
As can be seen in the image below from the 22mi. 64.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
lgherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

All I'm going to say is that your convertible is way sexier than anything or anyone I have seen in quite a while.

Greetings from Annapolis!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

House wrote:

FWIW, the body hardware (bolts, cupped body washers) under the back seat of my 67 convertible are not painted. They're aged looking, but not rusty, silver-gray plated (Cadmium 1??). Aug. '66 Karmann build 1967 convertible. Body and pan never separated since leaving the factory.

With regard to the "proper" placement of the 12V sticker on the door jamb, there was a discussion about this not too long ago here. I can't seem to find the link now, but I do remember the general consensus was that the placement indeed varied between both above and below the check rod. Based on many original paint, unrestored car photos showing both positions. I'd say you're "good to go" where you put it!

....and one more little itty-bitty thing I noticed in your lower interior shots. It's hard to tell for sure, but the rubber mat along the firewall behind the pedals appears to be black - as supplied by W.W. or ?? - and not the lighter gray color as was OEM.

I can assure you Harry, that you now possess one of the FINEST examples of a 1967 VW Type1 Convertible to be found anywhere! You asked us how you can make this extraordinary example "more original". Simply put - you can't! It WAS original only once, and that ship sailed once you undertook this restoration project. However, in your quest for doing as perfect of a RESTORATION on your 1967 Convertible as to be found anywhere, you've excelled far beyond the highest standards! Truly Concours level here, my friend! I encourage you to show us more pictures of "Becky" - not for finding more minute 'unoriginal' tid-bits, but instead for all of us to enjoy and drool over.

Cheers, John

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

House wrote:

That's interesting... hmmm... do you have a picture of the correct hardware?

I would just find another original Kamax bolt like your rear one that is long enough to have proper thread engagement after going through all three braces…
I would have thought the original one would be long enough but maybe not.
Are they the same on both sides?

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
House wrote:

FWIW, the body hardware (bolts, cupped body washers) under the back seat of my 67 convertible are not painted. They're aged looking, but not rusty, silver-gray plated (Cadmium 1??). Aug. '66 Karmann build 1967 convertible. Body and pan never separated since leaving the factory.

I watched and waited to see if this would be called, presuming that body separation never occurred and Karmann diligently taped off during paint. The insulation and surrounding materials seem free of overspray, so it looks to me like it was likely factory. I don't have a convertible nearby to look at for reference, but "67conv" has a differing example. In any case, not a nit for picking, just another convertible peculiarity for conversation. This car is far finer than any VW I've ever owned. (House, I'm not suggesting you were "nit picking," I was suggesting I was not nit-picking" Wink )
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

Very beautiful car! You should be very proud. Nice job👍
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
...The lower air handler bracket is a used original, as is the bolt and nut.

I just love how (probably) all of us saw that little mention, nodded our heads, and knew exactly what and where "the bolt and nut" are! I bet some of us even looked. Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Ha ha... can that be ordered from Wolfsburg West? Wink

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Why does it have two build sequence stamps ?

That's a good question. The threads I have seen have given up trying to figure out what those numbers *actually* mean (for example, that number is really high for a mid-Oct build). I hadn't really thought about the fact that there are two numbers on top of each other - that's an interesting point. I would love to find out what they mean! Whatever they mean, I wanted to keep them, rather than cover them up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611037&highlight=convertible+number+stamps
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

House wrote:

I would just find another original Kamax bolt like your rear one that is long enough to have proper thread engagement after going through all three braces…
I would have thought the original one would be long enough but maybe not.
Are they the same on both sides?

Interesting - they *are* the same on both sides. I'll look into the right length KAMAX bolt. Nice eye on the flanged bolt. I think I'll need to review the other exposed bolts and see which ones I might need to replace with something more period!

Last edited by harrymarlin on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
House is correct regarding the upper fresh air tubes.
I looked at a few owners manuals and they all show the upper fresh air tube clamps turned inward.
As can be seen in the image below from the 22mi. 64.

Perfect! Thank you!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

The original inner fender weld nuts appear to be replaced with a flat threaded flange nut. The original nuts would be "weld nuts."

If you look closely at that photo, the correct original nuts are there. They're just reversed in location. The round shaped one should be in upper location, the rectangular one in lower position as original. They both appear to have come loose off their original tack welds, and not re-tacked into their respective places. This'll work fine (as pictured), just not 100% original- if that's what you're striving for.

Could you two provide a picture showing the correct placement and look? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing exactly what should be done. I'm not sure I see the flange part?

Thanks!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

Good to know - I will take a look if I can separate them out and have them replated.

67conv wrote:

....and one more little itty-bitty thing I noticed in your lower interior shots. It's hard to tell for sure, but the rubber mat along the firewall behind the pedals appears to be black - as supplied by W.W. or ?? - and not the lighter gray color as was OEM.

Yes - you are right, WW. It was sewed into the carpet. I'll look to see if I have a more original one in my box-o-stuff. I wonder if I anyone sells scraps of original mats (as I'm looking for that and original surrounds), or if they are all gone by now. I'll keep my eye out for original firewall rubber mat!

67conv wrote:

\Truly Concours level here, my friend! I encourage you to show us more pictures of "Becky" - not for finding more minute 'unoriginal' tid-bits, but instead for all of us to enjoy and drool over.

I certainly will! I have documented her restoration more than my kids growing up. Wink I'll work on continuing the full documentation of her. Maybe I should try to make a website.

Thanks for all of your help over the years - and your support!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
67conv wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

The original inner fender weld nuts appear to be replaced with a flat threaded flange nut. The original nuts would be "weld nuts."

If you look closely at that photo, the correct original nuts are there. They're just reversed in location. The round shaped one should be in upper location, the rectangular one in lower position as original. They both appear to have come loose off their original tack welds, and not re-tacked into their respective places. This'll work fine (as pictured), just not 100% original- if that's what you're striving for.

Could you two provide a picture showing the correct placement and look? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing exactly what should be done. I'm not sure I see the flange part?

Thanks!

Yours,

Mine in my JavaGreen 67.

There should be captive "weld" nuts holding the fender to the inner fender well. Yours appear to have a flat threaded washer of some sort holding the fender to the car body.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

However - W.W. has recently began using a more 'authentic looking' heater vent surrounding in their kits. But, they absolutely will NOT sell the new plastic reproductions separately.

Can you (or others) verify tan is accurate for the surrounds on a charcoal carpet? WW suggests it would have been black. Thanks!
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

They seem to mostly match the floor mats…?
This is a little earlier, but you can see black/black.

Last edited by House on Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

Here is a grey/grey 67.
This is also possibly the correct shift boot that you need…?

Last edited by House on Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

For 66 we would find pigalle (red) and teak (brown) rings as well.

Not applicable here, but still related:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: