Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Struggling to get into 2nd gear.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Hi Guys! I've been doing my best searching for a relevant post, but can't seem to find the right thing.

1966: Stock 1600, dual port, 12v system.

A week ago: Car was running fine; took an hour+ long drive, no issues. Yesterday, I take the car out, I could feel that the car seemed to struggle to get up speed fast enough for me to go into 2nd gear. It revved high enough (no tachometer in the car), but felt slow. When I moved into 2nd gear, it felt worse. No amount of gas made the car go faster, continued to rev high, still struggling to get up speed. It felt like I was forcing the car to do more work than it could. It did sound louder than usual too. Immediately returned back to the house after driving 2 blocks.

Any thoughts as to where I should start looking first? Transmission mounts?

Thanks, Mike
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Whenever the engine revs seem to be higher than they should be for the speed you're going, the most likely suspect is a slipping clutch. One should still inspect the brakes as well in such instance to be sure they aren't dragging and thus causing undue strain on the drivetrain which could lead to the clutch slippage. In some cases you may find the splines in one or both of the rear drums are stripping out, allowing the axle shaft to spin inside the drum instead of driving it directly.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

After an initial under-car inspection, give it a tune-up: Valve adjustment, dwell, timing adjustments. Flush the idle and main jets with spray carb cleaner.

Then try removing one spark plug cable (insulated pliers) at a time and see if one makes no difference... you know which cylinder has an issue. If they all cause the same speed drop/lumpiness, they are equal and probably ok.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Mikedog wrote:
It revved high enough (no tachometer in the car), but felt slow. When I moved into 2nd gear, it felt worse. No amount of gas made the car go faster, continued to rev high, still struggling to get up speed.
Thanks, Mike

If the engine is revving high and the car isn't moving commensurately, it's likely the clutch. Is there a burning smell? Get the car up to 10 mph in first gear and step on the brakes, if the engine is still revving and the car slows down, your clutch is slipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Test your clutch the old man way.

Pull up to a tree until the front bumper is touching the tree. Put the car in first gear and let go of the clutch. If the car stalls immediately once you let up of the clutch, the clutch is good. If the car does not stall or takes a while to stall, you need a new clutch.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Whenever the engine revs seem to be higher than they should be for the speed you're going, the most likely suspect is a slipping clutch.

In some cases you may find the splines in one or both of the rear drums are stripping out, allowing the axle shaft to spin inside the drum instead of driving it directly.

These two !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mikedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Whenever the engine revs seem to be higher than they should be for the speed you're going, the most likely suspect is a slipping clutch. One should still inspect the brakes as well in such instance to be sure they aren't dragging and thus causing undue strain on the drivetrain which could lead to the clutch slippage. In some cases you may find the splines in one or both of the rear drums are stripping out, allowing the axle shaft to spin inside the drum instead of driving it directly.

I'm going to check on the brakes first this weekend. Will report back with pictures too. Thanks!
Mikedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Pull up to a tree until the front bumper is touching the tree. Put the car in first gear and let go of the clutch. If the car stalls immediately once you let up of the clutch, the clutch is good. If the car does not stall or takes a while to stall, you need a new clutch.

Thanks! This sounds like a quick and easy test for my clutch. Appreciate the response and will report back after checking.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Mikedog wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

Thanks! This sounds like a quick and easy test for my clutch. Appreciate the response and will report back after checking.

My two cents, that's a good way to damage your bumper and possibly the nose of the car. These things, while stout for a small car, aren't your grandpappy's old farm truck.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Yeah, just put it in gear, hold the brake pedal down hard, release the clutch pedal, and see if it immediately stalls, as it should.

No need to damage a tree.
Laughing
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Pull up to a tree until the front bumper is touching the tree.

Don't do this. It's hard on your bumper and hard on the tree and there is an easier way - you don't even need a tree.

Just put the car in first gear and get it up to about 10 mph. Step on the brake with your left foot and use the gas pedal to maintain 10 mph. If the engine speeds up and the car doesn't go any faster, your clutch is slipping.

It is possible that the splines in one of your brake drums are getting carved out. The don't always let go completely, sometimes there is enough pressure between the nut and the bearing to move the car, but this is not a likely scenario given your description.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Just put the car in first gear and get it up to about 10 mph. Step on the brake with your left foot and use the gas pedal to maintain 10 mph. If the engine speeds up and the car doesn't go any faster, your clutch is slipping.

It is possible that the splines in one of your brake drums are getting carved out. The don't always let go completely, sometimes there is enough pressure between the nut and the bearing to move the car, but this is not a likely scenario given your description.

I agree with above, and much easier to check the rear drum splines than pulling the engine.

If I had a slipping clutch, I'd get new pressure plate, new disc, and get flywheel resurfaced; if you buy a new flywheel you'll need to set the end play.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wdfifteen wrote:

I agree with above, and much easier to check the rear drum splines than pulling the engine.

If I had a slipping clutch, I'd get new pressure plate, new disc, and get flywheel resurfaced; if you buy a new flywheel you'll need to set the end play.

Both you guys are no fun!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Save a tree, eat a beaver
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Sorry. If you lived closer I'd let you use my tools and lift and even hand you an occasional beer. How much fun is that??
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

Sorry. If you lived closer I'd let you use my tools and lift and even hand you an occasional beer. How much fun is that??

LOL, thanks. I have all that. Appreciate the offer.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling to get into 2nd gear. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

Save a tree, eat a beaver

Some would argue that tacos are better. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: