Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connection to the motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

I have a VW T1 bus without engine.

Since I don't know how to connect something like this, I hope that I can find someone here who can explain the connections to me.

I bought an overhauled engine. I screwed the air flap cable, heating flap cable, fuel cable between the driver's seat and the passenger seat in the 3 holes at the front. The heating flap cable runs in the pipes to the left and right under the cars. I clamped the fuel cable and air flap cable to the metal loops on the frame, which also end at the back of the vehicle.

The heating flap cable is connected to the heating bulbs on the left and right. the fuel cable is screwed to the fuel tap. Where is the damper cable connected?

I also mounted the clutch cable and the throttle cable on the pedals at the front of the vehicle.

The clutch cable gets a rubber sheath 111 721 361 and the seal with the 2 nuts and a wing nut mounted on gears.

What happens to the throttle cable over which the guide tube 113 721 567, compression spring 113 721 575 and sleeve 113 721 571, spring plate, bearing bolt and threaded screw are screwed on?

When the engine is screwed down, where are the throttle cable attachments mounted? There is a hole in the blower box for the guide tube, but where do the other parts belong? The throttle cable must end at the carburetor.

When I stand behind the engine, I see the clutch disc. To the right of it in the sheet metal is a hole with a rubber. Which line leads through this?

I haven't found a video or suitable photos on the internet that can explain my problem.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

First off, what year of bus??

Deen Rechner wrote:
I have a VW T1 bus without engine.

Since I don't know how to connect something like this, I hope that I can find someone here who can explain the connections to me.

I bought an overhauled engine. I screwed the air flap cable, heating flap cable, fuel cable between the driver's seat and the passenger seat in the 3 holes at the front. The heating flap cable runs in the pipes to the left and right under the cars. I clamped the fuel cable and air flap cable to the metal loops on the frame, which also end at the back of the vehicle.

The heating flap cable is connected to the heating bulbs on the left and right. the fuel cable is screwed to the fuel tap. Where is the damper cable connected?

Not sure what you mean by "air flap". Heat exchanger cable ends, and reserve tap cable make sense of "heating flap" and "fuel cable". Do you have a part numbers for the "air flap" and "damper" cables or associate parts? Either one could be the choke. In that case it would help to know which year or size of engine being discussed.

Deen Rechner wrote:

I also mounted the clutch cable and the throttle cable on the pedals at the front of the vehicle.

The clutch cable gets a rubber sheath 111 721 361 and the seal with the 2 nuts and a wing nut mounted on gears.

Clutch has bowden tube, rubber sealing boot, and EITHER two nuts or a wing nut depending on year of transaxle being used.

Deen Rechner wrote:

What happens to the throttle cable over which the guide tube 113 721 567, compression spring 113 721 575 and sleeve 113 721 571, spring plate, bearing bolt and threaded screw are screwed on?

Again it depends on the engine and carburetor used....

Deen Rechner wrote:

When the engine is screwed down, where are the throttle cable attachments mounted? There is a hole in the blower box for the guide tube, but where do the other parts belong? The throttle cable must end at the carburetor.

When I stand behind the engine, I see the clutch disc. To the right of it in the sheet metal is a hole with a rubber. Which line leads through this?

I haven't found a video or suitable photos on the internet that can explain my problem.

Yes, once the engine is installed you can connect up the throttle cable, heater cables, and choke if early engine/carburetor

That is the front of the engine if you are seeing the clutch pressure plate. All original VW parts and workshop manuals go with directions as if you were sitting in the driver seat of LHD VW. As you sit left is left, right is right as you face forward. Front is closer to the front pumper and rear is closer to the rear bumper. Best to keep to that orientation or madness ensues. Left side of the front engine tin is the rubber grommeted hole for the metal fuel line.

Really need your year of bus, type/size of engine/carburetor. Even better would be if you posted engine transaxle images also.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2285029
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=687459

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

I think the 'air flap' and 'damper' are both terms for the choke, maybe a translation thing.

agree with ericandbarb about engine info. and maybe a photo of what you're seeing.

this is a photo of a bus carb hooked up showing the choke and accelerator cables coming through the fan housing

this is a ww digram showing accelerator cable parts at the carb end, 22 is the guide tube through the fan case

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

finster wrote:

this is a ww digram showing accelerator cable parts at the carb end, 22 is the guide tube through the fan case

Wow, perfect diagram.
I don’t think I have ever seen that spring (part 23) on any VW.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
finster wrote:

Wow, perfect diagram.

That is because it is partly hidden inside #24 when assembled.

Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

The engine is a AD from 08.1970 untill 07.1973 buildt 1584 ccm.

The transporter is from 1959/1960 normaly with a bastard engine but it is to small.

The break system is from a type 2 transporter bus 2 that must be connected to the engine too.

The new engine has a doghouse and a 34 ps caburator.

The caburator will get a rubber pipe that will be connected to the oil bath air filter from a vw 181 thing. I'm still looking for a bracket for it.

I have lots of question to solve before I can connect the engine with the bus.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Deen Rechner wrote:

The break system is from a type 2 transporter bus 2 that must be connected to the engine too.

Brake system connects to the transaxle not the engine. Engine then connects to the transaxle.

Single port or dual port??

With 34-PICT carburetor there is no way to connect the manual choke.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Deen Rechner wrote:

Brake system connects to the transaxle not the engine. Engine then connects to the transaxle.

Single port or dual port??

With 34-PICT carburetor there is no way to connect the manual choke.

Maybe it has the power assisted brakes. Needs a tube hooked up to the intake manifold. If the manifold doesn’t have the port, there is an adaptor that fits under the carb.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
finster wrote:

Wow, perfect diagram.

It is used through iirc 28pict carbs. The later carb has the vertical spring.
My first splitty had the set up in the pic above.

I think the op needs an idiot book in German.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Deen Rechner wrote:
The transporter is from 1959/1960... The brake system is from a type 2 transporter bus 2 that must be connected to the engine too.

I presume you mean a vacuum power brake booster was retrofitted? Is the intake manifold a dual-port with a hose nipple on the center section?
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
If the manifold doesn’t have the port, there is an adaptor that fits under the carb.

Finally, a proper use for the adapter that was part of that shitty Grancorp NOx EGR smog retrofit kit mandated in California a few decades ago!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101200
Item "P" in this parts list:

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

This is a little late, but I was looking at my lubrication chart poster earlier today, and realised it might help confirm the questions about routing cables.
If you click on the image, then zoom, it comes up quite clear...

As you have a 1970s engine, you do not need the choke (damper in your original post?), but its cable runs in a bowden tube fastened to the accelerator cable conduit. If you zoom in on the image, you can just see that the cable with two arrows pointing to it is actually two cables running in parallel.

My single cab is the same. The end of the choke cable was just looped back on itself at the rear by the previous owner. They secured it to the nearest conduit with a zip tie.

Deen Rechner wrote:

I recently fitted a remote brake servo/booster (a VWJim kit), because my knees aren't so good anymore.

Its vacuum line is connected to a hose barb that is tapped in to the left-hand intake manifold end piece (I have a dual port engine).

To avoid cutting holes in the bodywork, I ran the vacuum line out of the engine bay by cutting a hole in the removable valance panel (my panel isn't original to the vehicle), adding a grommet, and feeding the line through.

I fitted the non-return valve in the vacuum line where it exits below the valance. This will allow me to separate the line when I need to remove the valance panel.

From there it runs forward along the left hand longitudinal frame member, over the rear torsion tube and under the two cross-members (protected against chafing with some foam pipe lagging) and finally on to the remote servo, which is mounted under the floor below the tool chest under the bench seat.

I suspect that a metal line of smaller diameter would do the same job as the thick rubber hose that came with the kit, but I don't know what the vacuum requirement is and what size pipe is needed. If I had used a metal line, it might have allowed me to run it between the corrugations of the floor and the top of the transverse crossmembers, which would have been less conspicuous.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
finster wrote:

Wow, perfect diagram.

I had an engine that came with that setup... did not like it! Felt like too much pressure on the foot! Confused
Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Picture 23
211 721 555 ACCELERATOR CABLE, Mar'55-1965
113 721 567 Accelerator Cable Guide Tube
113 721 575 Spring
113 721 571 rubber boot

Number 82+83 I put in the hole of the arm of the carburettor.
113 721 567 Accelerator Cable Guide Tube I put through the hole of the Fan Shroud, but what about 113 721 575 Spring and 113 721 571 rubber boot?
Do I need it or not? What do I need or is it unimportant?

Picture 23
211 721 335 Clutch Cable
211 721 365 Boot, Clutch Cable
111 721 361 Clutch Cable Sleeve
211 721 365 Boot, Clutch Cable
111 721 349 ADJUSTING NUT, clutch cable, acorn nut style, includes backing nut, through 1965 Bug and Bus, OEM
CLUTCH CABLE ADJUSTING NUT, wing nut style

Do I need the 211 721 365 Boot of the Clutch Cable?
And what about 111 721 349 ADJUSTING NUT, clutch cable, acorn nut style, includes backing nut, through 1965 Bug and Bus, OEM or
CLUTCH CABLE ADJUSTING NUT, wing nut style?
It just have to work.

Picture 22

211 711 705 CHOKE CABLE/FUEL RESERVE CABLE, Oct'52-1961 Bug and 1952 (1952 Bus, starting at chassis # 20-041712) -1961 Bus (1961 Bus through chassis # 614455), includes sleeve and knurled nut, also functions as fuel reserve lever cable through 1967 Bus
211 711 725 rubber/boot

Why are there two arms? I use the smaler one, for sure.
But what is the use of the other one?
Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

211 711 629B Heater cable
111 711 691 Seal of Heater Cable

I have put the Heater cable trough the pipes and put on the end of the pipes the seal and can connect it to the Heat Exchanger left and right.

211 711 505A + 111 711 531 Choke Cable

Where will the choke cable be installed?
Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

It is a bus from 1960 but the engine is from 1970 1600ccm.

I can´t connect this blue pipes with the engine. They are to small.
What do you use?

I have this air box from a thing.

This was before.

How or what do I need to install it?

Which Rear Engine Tin Type-1 with Heater do I need? Why has the one rear engine tin on one side two holes and on the other side one hole?
Has the air box something to do with it?
Deen Rechner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

My break System is installed

But the Steering Damper of the Bus must be changed form left to the right side.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Accelerator
Deen Rechner wrote:

what about 113 721 575 Spring and 113 721 571 rubber boot?
Do I need it or not? What do I need or is it unimportant?

Not needed with that carburettor

Clutch: -
Deen Rechner wrote:

Do I need the 211 721 365 Boot of the Clutch Cable?

Pretty certain what you're describing is a boot that keeps junk out of the conduit. If you're not driving it in bad conditions, you can probably do without it. Most perished and fell off anyhow.

Deen Rechner wrote:

And what about 111 721 349 ADJUSTING NUT, clutch cable, acorn nut style, includes backing nut, through 1965 Bug and Bus, OEM or
CLUTCH CABLE ADJUSTING NUT, wing nut style?
It just have to work.

The wing nut you have works fine.

Fuel reserve cable
Deen Rechner wrote:

Why are there two arms? I use the smaler one, for sure.
But what is the use of the other one?

That looks like it should hold a clamp to hold the end of the bowden tube (the flexible sheath around the cable). The cable inside the bowden tube then conncts to the smaller lever

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Connection to the motor Reply with quote

Deen Rechner wrote:

Where will the choke cable be installed?

Ignore it. You don't need it for the carburettor installed on your engine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: