Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buy Online: 1.8 RV Exhaust Manifold Questions
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Buy Online: 1.8 RV Exhaust Manifold Questions Reply with quote

Hi folks.

As a used part, caveat emptor but....

During normal use, is the 1.8 8V exhaust typically prone to:

- cracking (at flanges or ?)

- damaged O2 threads

My Vanagon ABA engine conversion uses that manifold. Before install, O2 threads were unusable. But after ~ 60K kms on the conversion, no audible signs of cracking.

Never purchased something like this online. Vendor: https://canadacatalyst.ca

I see a negative review for them here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713158&highlight=https+canadacatalyst.ca

but I take reviews with a grain of salt. Regardless, feed back on them is welcome.

Thanks,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy Online: 1.8 RV Exhaust Manifold Questions Reply with quote

Having worked on thousands of 85-92 VWs, I have never seen those manifolds crack, or have stripped threads. However, I was working on them regularly when they were 8-20 years old. They are quite scarce now & sure to have been put through a lot worse since then.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy Online: 1.8 RV Exhaust Manifold Questions Reply with quote

Ok cool. Thanks for that insight TDCTDI.

Even only several years ago I was still seeing Mk2 Mk3 parts on Vancouver BC craigslist. Not seeing much if any of that these days.

Times have changed!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy Online: 1.8 RV Exhaust Manifold Questions Reply with quote

the lower (cat side) flange may let go after 1/2 million miles +.(my experience)
But the actual cast iron top side? It's like the one-way clutch drum in those 010 auto trans of the same years. Everything else may get vaporized but the manifold will still be ready to bolt on another 8 valve...till about 2444AD.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: