Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint New Muffler?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Have this new muffler from CIP advertised as Dansk OE Ernst Style muffler.

Looks to me like the paint will probably burn off as soon as it is on the car.

I would like to paint it in advance, before installation without having the paint burn off. I know a good paint but guess it can’t be put over the grey that is on it now.

Do I have to try to remove all the grey paint first?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

You're right about the paint burning off. I bought the same muffler back in November and it is almost gone now on my daily driver.
I would try and remove the paint with a paint remover then paint with a high temp engine paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately that paint will likely burn off over time ... it doesn't seem that they are using a high-temp coating.

If the base coat is the weak link, you can expect it, and anything you cover it with, to lift.

You'd want to get down to bare metal and coat with the proper base coat and top coat for a high temp application. Not sure of the best way to remove the existing gray paint. Media blast may damage the muffler and chemical stripping would require that the stripping solution be completely removed before recoating.

Is your concern about appearance our just protection?

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

I painted one that had some kind of thick grey paint on it. Most of it burned off. What was left looked like some sort of galvanic coating, though it was very mottled:

Last time I removed it I dusted it lightly with a high temp primer (2000F), a few coats but not so thick it would trap heat.

Too new to know if it, too, will burn off. And primer can be water porous, so this may do nothing to protect it. The galv coating seemed to stop rust, but looked like leprosy. The grey primer was just to make it look more even and oem. Time will tell.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

I would scotch-brite scuff it and use BBQ flat black.
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Yes, unfortunately that paint will likely burn off over time ... it doesn't seem that they are using a high-temp coating.

If the base coat is the weak link, you can expect it, and anything you cover it with, to lift.

You'd want to get down to bare metal and coat with the proper base coat and top coat for a high temp application. Not sure of the best way to remove the existing gray paint. Media blast may damage the muffler and chemical stripping would require that the stripping solution be completely removed before recoating.

Is your concern about appearance our just protection?

About appearance and protection. Trying to restore the car nicely after all these years. I have some small stripping discs. Probably if I take most of the paint off with that and then high temp prime and paint, it may stay good.

Cheers

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Let the engine do the work for you…

Install the muffler, drive it for a few weeks, brush the charred paint off with a wire brush, shoot it with the high temp paint of your choice. Repeat every 6 months to a year.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

MarkN72 wrote:
Have this new muffler from CIP advertised as Dansk OE Ernst Style muffler.

Looks to me like the paint will probably burn off as soon as it is on the car.

I would like to paint it in advance, before installation without having the paint burn off. I know a good paint but guess it can’t be put over the grey that is on it now.

Do I have to try to remove all the grey paint first?

Do yourself a favor and first try test-fitting the muffler on your engine. My experience with a Dansk muffler few years back is that it wouldn't even begin to fit on my engine w/out a ton of modification work (note: I eventually gave up on that one, returned it, and sourced a NOS Leistritz one).

If the fit is acceptable to you, and/or you're willing to do whatever mod work necessary beforehand, then you can go about prepping and painting the muffler prior to final install.

I personally got mine sandblasted first, then painted it with a couple thin coats of POR 15 exhaust paint, baked it in the oven, and finally installed on the car. That paint job has held up amazingly well over the past 3 years or so -- a little bit of surface rust has developed on the bottom and back where it gets some road salt exposure during infrequent winter trips, but otherwise most of the muffler still looks like I just painted it. Good stuff! Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

The only thing I've ever found that will keep a muffler looking nice for any period of time is getting it ceramic coated. Other than that you'll likely spend a lot time / money and a year from now wonder why you did.
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

That’s good advice to check the fit first. And at that point probably easiest to let the paint burn off and then do whatever with it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cheers!
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Seems to fit OK.

I am trying to figure out what is supposed to go between the heater box and the exhaust.

Should this be a short piece of hose and 2 clamps?

Thanks

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

you need 2 of these exhaust clamps to close that gap.
about 3 bucks each at jbugs.com

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Perfect. One wide clamp on each side. Thanks!
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

What I did - 30 years ago to my beetle - first sandblasting the muffler, painting first with zink color, then ofen color, which is resistant up to 690°C.
And 3 years ago, the same, but to my Typ 4 - the same. But the heat exchangers were painted also with normal color, so it burned where the hot pipes are connected.
So use good (and a litle bit expensiv) color, and you will have a long time leasting result.
The pictures are made today after about 6000 km / 4500 miles later from the Typ 4.

Complete Muffler:

Where the Pipe is connected:

Normal Painture burnt:

But no problem, where the heat exchanged is connected to the muffler.

So, my opinion is, clean and paint it first, before you mount it, so you will have more fun, when you work on it later. Nothing is more boaring then rusty mufflers, rust breakes, rusty steering parts.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

Before you do anything fit the muffler to your motor, you may need to heat the bends to line it up then remove it and repaint it.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

After making sure it will fit, have it blasted and then get yourself a tester bottle of Cerakote and paint it. They have air and over cure paints in a range of hues, and some good up to 1800'F. The tester bottles are around $35 and would be enough for a lot more than one muffler, but they don't have a long shelf life once open.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Paint New Muffler? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Let the engine do the work for you…

Install the muffler, drive it for a few weeks, brush the charred paint off with a wire brush, shoot it with the high temp paint of your choice. Repeat every 6 months to a year.

Yes, I think this is the best you can hope for with paint. A good workable solution.

Also, this practice forces you to review the condition of the donuts and how well they are sealing, lest they inject exhaust into the fresh air boxes of the large heat exchangers.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: