Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap rebuild options
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwright13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I’m looking for the cheapest solution to rebuild my 1600cc dual port. I’m obviously not looking for the BEST option as that’s not ever the cheapest option haha. Trying to decide if getting the JBugs rebuild kit at like $500 is the best option for this or if I should try to find a motor from another car on maybe Facebook marketplace or something for cheap. The car is knocking now and I don’t know for sure yet the cause but if I spun a bearing a will most likely need a new crank as well which will add to that $500 jbugs kit. Thought? Does anyone localish maybe have a motor for sale? I’m located in the Shenandoah valley and willing to travel a little as well. Just trying to stay on a budget that’s all. Thanks!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Gotta tear it down to find out.
Maybe you just need a rod and some machine work. Rings and a hone if you want.
Maybe just a gear tooth is causing the noise.
No idea what comes in the J-Bugs kit but it could contain everything except the parts you actually need.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

OP, if you're dead set on a cheap build. Read this thread and maybe you can save a few dollars.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513083&highlight=grapes+of+wrath

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Kwright13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks guys, I will move forward with tearing it down 😁
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

I would look up a $300 "core" motor. Sounds like you'll need a crank and rods, anyway. Hassle is some people think their $300 core motor is worth $1500. Other hassle is some low buck motors are low buck for good reason.

I would do it a la carte buying parts as I need them rather than blowing my meagre budget on a $500 rebuild kit. Like I said I would start with a core that (hopefully) doesn't knock. I would buy a decent set of used heads. I've done the Third World hone and re- ring trick many times with good success.

I would rather keep my old German pistons and cylinders and save the $300 shipped new pistons and cylinders cost.

Where is that post about a mechanic out West who pocketed $900 on each refresh, re- seal and only made $200 on a proper rebuild?

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Buying cheap parts is not the cheapest option. When they break, it will cost more than if you did it right the first time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Buying cheap parts is not the cheapest option. When they break, it will cost more than if you did it right the first time.

You can't buy a new "stock replacement" crankshaft equal to original German.

What keeps our "hobby" alive almost 50 years after the last Bug was oficially imported to the U.S....

...is the inevitable box, bin or shelf full of spare parts. That's why we have swap meets. That's why we have TheSamba Classifieds. I maintain we can rebuild and restore better and for less money by tapping the stash of barrels, bins, boxes and buckets instead of point and click, add it to The Permanent Debt on your credit card.

That's why I have a few dozen ACVW engines ranging from a '73 with 40k original, a '66 that's right in that range as well as 20+ more likely rebuildable.

Biggest challenge is what is going to happen to all this stuff when I'm gone.

agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

What keeps our "hobby" alive almost 50 years after the last Bug was oficially imported to the U.S....

Biggest challenge is what is going to happen to all this stuff when I'm gone.

I know what's gonna happen to mine. My kids will put everything in garbage.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap rebuild options Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Yes you can.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2546090
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2666476
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2590837
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2506240

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: