Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer 2024 project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Scbrice wrote:

Says VW 78-1 which led me to think 34 pict

That must be the flange/base number. From this thread, that would be a 30 PICT-1 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5695407#5695407

Quote:
VW 78-1 30PICT-1 131905205 BUS 1500 8/65 115 135z 0.75 w/o ball 12V - 60 pilot

I did some more reading about the 30 PICT solenoid and it functions differently to the 34PICT style. The 34 PICT type solenoid (which is what I have) is effectively a stopper that blocks off the passage in the carb. The 30 PICT style is an actual idle jet with a needle retracted by the solenoid, so you could replace it with a standard idle jet if you can't find a 6V solenoid and hope it doesn't diesel.

But that assumes it is the solenoid...

Okay fellas it’s a 30 pict and I took the wire off solenoid and it’s clicking each time I touch it. Also when I pulled wire off it tried to die. So idk if it’s just a dirty idle jet, bad timing or bad carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

Scbrice wrote:
Got bus to idle good
Starts fine but slow with. 6 volt

Scbrice wrote:
Anytime you push clutch in or go to neutral for more than 10 seconds. The bus gen lights come on and it dies. Restarts and we start all over

To me you have two conflicting statements. So it idles but it doesn't idle.
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Scbrice wrote:
Got bus to idle good
Starts fine but slow with. 6 volt

Scbrice wrote:
Anytime you push clutch in or go to neutral for more than 10 seconds. The bus gen lights come on and it dies. Restarts and we start all over

To me you have two conflicting statements. So it idles but it doesn't idle.

Bus starts
Bus idles in different tempos
Generator light constantly on without reving
Bus dies when you drive and let off gas longer than 5 seconds
Bus dies when solenoid taken off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

Scbrice wrote:
The bus gen lights come on and it dies.

Is there a one-to-one relationship with this? The second the light comes on it dies?

Scbrice wrote:
Generator light constantly on without reving

This could just be an idle speed issue. The good news is the light goes off with faster rpm.

Scbrice wrote:
Bus idles in different tempos

Some mechanics call it “hunting”. It can be any number of things. You need to eliminate as many things as you can.

Check the tightness of the intake manifold where it enters the heads. Check the carb nuts at the intake flange.
Check the suction hose that sucks the distributor.

On the carb there is a main jet inside the bowl drain plug. It needs to be clean.
There is a hole on the end of the electric solenoid. It needs to be clean.
There is an idle air mixture screw. The passageways it interacts with need to be clean.
There is an accelerator pump with its passageways and pump mechanism. That has to be working especially as it controls the acceleration from a standstill.
After you are sure the engine has warmed up a little is the little arm on the ratchet mechanism at the top of the carb pointing down? That is the choke lever.

These are only a few of the possibilities but knowing they work will help diagnose other problems.

One sure way of eliminating the carburetor with all its possible weakness points would be to buy a Sparxwerks carb.

With the engine off grab the bottom pulley and pull it back and push it in a few times. Is there a lot of gap and clunk sound?

Scbrice wrote:
Bus dies when you drive and let off gas longer than 5 seconds

In neutral or with the clutch in or both or what?
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

Fells thanks for all your help. As I said in my original post. I fly airliners for a living but know nothing about VWs except that I wanna turn the key and have them run.

Took to local vw guy. Truck was running now dying again

Carb shot
Choke cold
Carb leaking just for starters..thanks again fellas

Fingers crossed a new carb helps

I’ll keep ya updated
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Summer 2024 project Reply with quote

Well the single cab is home
What a mess it was inside

Long story short the PO or PO to him had wired this thing so badly it was basically losing all electrical current.

Carb was leaking onto distributor during running, and had broken parts

The single cab has been all rewired and has a new carb ! Back in business fellas

Street legal and ready to mingle!

What a mess. Thank god it kept dying. Maybe it was trying to tell me, stop driving. It was a fire waiting to happen!

Now does anybody have a air filter sleeve to really make this thing perfect

SB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: