Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Bug Full Restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys
I’ve owned this 69 beetle for maybe 10 years now. It has always been in “acceptable” shape but now i finally decided to give it the love it needs. I started a full restoration on it. As for now i have dismantled most of the car. I separated the body from the pan. Took the body to sandblast and body shop and i am going to start working on the pan myself. I find it a bit overwhelming at times for it being my first full volkswagen restoration and my second car restoration.

One of the things i have considered is to change all the guides inside the tunnel, brakes, fuel, heater. But i have seen this is quite a job to take the bottom of the tunnel apart.

Any suggestions, recommendations before i take any decisions? All comments positive and negative are gladly welcome.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

IMO the ONLY correct way IS to remove the bottom. Whilst a big job it is not as much difficult as time consuming.

The benefit is that you can more correctly and with better strength repair any of the innards of the tunnel so it won't ever happen again. The other side benefit is that you can paint the insides of the tunnel so it also won't ever be a problem.

Now of course if you are doing a restoration and not a preservation or a resto mod, change the brakes, bigger engine, drop spindles, bigger tyres, narrow beam etc, then the cheap and nasty way is to hack the tunnel at the bracket location and repair without taking off the bottom.

Just my opinion.
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

Hey Viiking thanks for the response!

I understand there is always an easy way to do stuff and the correct way to do it. I am all for taking off the bottom if its the correct way.

Question though. Are there any potential negative consequences of doing so, and maybe not worth messing around with that? Like some sort of dis alignment or anything you can think of in your experience?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

The spine of the chassis is very thick steel (compared to other sheet metal) and won’t deflect. I’d leave the pans in place (if they need replacing)as extra support so it maintains its rectangularity, until you’ve completed the tunnel work. As I said the spine is strong so it probably doesn’t matter much if the pans are in place or not, but it can’t hurt.

You can tip your whole chassis onto its side on the wheels with a couple of guys if you don’t have a rotisserie (two engine stands work). That way you’ll have full access to the side and it’s much easier to drill and weld in that orientation.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the things i have considered is to change all the guides inside the tunnel, brakes, fuel, heater.

Why are you considering this? Have you determined that any one, or more, of those guide tubes damaged/broken/rusted through? Your bare chassis looks to be in very good condition otherwise, so I doubt that rust in the tubes would be a concern.

I passed by your area about 25 years ago, during a weekend day trip based out of an Oxnard business trip. I drove through Anza-Borrego, came south to Ocotillo, west on I-8 and turned off onto Rt 94. Desert View Tower had just closed for the day or I'd have stopped in. It was a nice scenic detour. Got over to the Interstate 5 and headed north again.
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

Nice beggining. Good luck with your restoration. 👍
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
The spine of the chassis is very thick steel (compared to other sheet metal) and won’t deflect. I’d leave the pans in place (if they need replacing)as extra support so it maintains its rectangularity, until you’ve completed the tunnel work. As I said the spine is strong so it probably doesn’t matter much if the pans are in place or not, but it can’t hurt.

You can tip your whole chassis onto its side on the wheels with a couple of guys if you don’t have a rotisserie (two engine stands work). That way you’ll have full access to the side and it’s much easier to drill and weld in that orientation.

I have only one Engine stand for now, i will get my hands on another one. Also my neighbor is pretty experimented with metal work. Im really not, so i will offer him money or a few beers so he can give me a hand. Your Pan looks Fantastic, seems as a far away objective for me now. Still working on dismantling the pan. Im taking the rear suspension out today.
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
One of the things i have considered is to change all the guides inside the tunnel, brakes, fuel, heater.

Why are you considering this? Have you determined that any one, or more, of those guide tubes damaged/broken/rusted through? Your bare chassis looks to be in very good condition otherwise, so I doubt that rust in the tubes would be a concern.

I passed by your area about 25 years ago, during a weekend day trip based out of an Oxnard business trip. I drove through Anza-Borrego, came south to Ocotillo, west on I-8 and turned off onto Rt 94. Desert View Tower had just closed for the day or I'd have stopped in. It was a nice scenic detour. Got over to the Interstate 5 and headed north again.

Well i really want to put as much effort as possible and care to make things right in my bug. You are right though that i have not inspected the tunnel to see if the guides are rotten. I will say tha yesterday i found a broken piece of the clutch cable guide sitting inside the tunnel below the shift rod coupler, so it made me think what else could be there.

I live south from the border. The town's name is Tecate as well. But the route you describe is familiar to me. I drive around the area a lot. Give yourself a chance to come back down here anytime you want. If you even decide to cross the border, i will buy you real nice Tacos. Just dont cross on your car, leave it parked in the US side and cross on foot. Believe me. Cheers!
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bug Full Restoration Reply with quote

agramer1966 wrote:
Nice beggining. Good luck with your restoration. 👍

Gracias amigo.

I will beposting my progress here for anyone interested!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: