Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which cam type do I have?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Which cam type do I have? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a spin on oil filter pump like the EMPI 9206 or 9207 for my buggy.
They say that they either fit the "flat" cam or "dished" cam. I understand I can take the cover off that is just below the crank pulley, BUT can you tell just by the engine code????
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam type do I have? Reply with quote

Once you look at the cam you will see.
The four rivet cam the oil pump sets in DEEPER.

Most 3 rivet oil pumps can work with a four rivet cam by pressing the shaft out to extend it farther and get the right engagement.

I always recommend the CB MAxi pump over the bugpack or OE mexican
The keyed drive gear and stepped idler shaft are nice features IMO

These days most people who think the engine is all OE are dreaming. But either way it does not guarantee you have a three rivet cam. Many different cams have been made over the years of all types.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam type do I have? Reply with quote

Bikerndiver wrote:
BUT can you tell just by the engine code????

That assumes it has the original cam in it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam type do I have? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bikerndiver wrote:
BUT can you tell just by the engine code????

That assumes it has the original cam in it.

Hmm, good point. Since it was very recently rebuilt I doubt I have the original cam.
OK, well, it won't take long to take the cover off and peek inside. Thanks!
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam type do I have? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Once you look at the cam you will see.
The four rivet cam the oil pump sets in DEEPER.

Most 3 rivet oil pumps can work with a four rivet cam by pressing the shaft out to extend it farther and get the right engagement.

I always recommend the CB MAxi pump over the bugpack or OE mexican
The keyed drive gear and stepped idler shaft are nice features IMO

These days most people who think the engine is all OE are dreaming. But either way it does not guarantee you have a three rivet cam. Many different cams have been made over the years of all types.

Thank you. I'm going to look and see what cam I have and order what I need to do this job. I appreciate the response.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: