Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rally super beetle?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtCheapFrank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Rally super beetle? Reply with quote

How good are super beetle at rally? I've seen vids on yt of people doing rally with super beetles but i haven't seen much info on people building them. How is lifting the front? I've seen dustbuggy on yt build custom lift spindles but could I just modify the old ones? Or would it be fine with tock ride height and some beefier tires?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rally super beetle? Reply with quote

Start here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=788317
This is a Baja thread, the builder used a Super for the build.
It ain't a cheap build!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rally super beetle? Reply with quote

I don't know if folks here understand the difference between rally events and off road events.

I too have watch a number of rally Beetles competing races in Europe on YouTube. It looks to me like the Super Beetles do well in this type of race. I am not sure that there is much of that sort of thing going on this side of the pond. Years ago when I was involved in a sports car club they did have rally events in this province but I have not heard of any events recently.

If I were so inclined to enter a rally, a Super Beetle would definitely be my choice over a standard one because of their superior road handling. These events are generally what I would consider "on road" events. Mostly held on gravel and dirt roads and do not involve the brutal terrain that off road events encounter at all.

As for changing the ride height of a Super, the simplest in my mind is to drill the spot welds that secure the lower spring mount to the strut tube, move them to where you want and weld them again. The strut would need to be disassembled of course but I assume you will be putting a heavier shock back in anyway.
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rally super beetle? Reply with quote

Here in Norcal there's an amateur club called Norcal Rallycross. Anyone can bring their car. All dirt courses. Similar format to autocross but in the dirt.
Mostly old Subi's and Volvos from what I've seen, oddly not many bugs.
I plan on taking my Baja to a couple races this summer when they're near me.
Just for fun. You get a trophy and bragging rights. They have different classes of cars.

Maybe there's a local club near you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: