Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Hi, I am in the UK and have a '69 Bay microbus that I use for camping and take on longish journeys.

My first engine setup was
1600cc
New dual port heads stock valve sizes
Stock cam with 1.25 ratio rockers
Twin 36 Weber IDFs
SVDA Bosch distributor
Stock exhaust
Stock 3 rib trans

This drove very nicely from idle and had a noticeable increase in power

I have since changed the exhaust to this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would now like more power the simplest way seems to be rebuild it into an 1835cc and change the cam. But could a stock cam with 1.4 rockers be as good or better than a cam change?

Would there be any disadvantages of using 1.4 rockers on a stock cam compared to a mild cam with stock rockers, what valve spring setup would be needed.
I would like smooth power from idle and good fuel economy.
What revs would you expect the engine to have power up to.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Scrapefest on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Wondering if you happen to check the head chamber capacity of those AA500 heads before installing.
I was thinking they were like 60cc which would make for a really low compression 1600. Like 6.7:1. Which could be the problem you are having.
I might be mistaken on that 60cc number but when I was looking for stock heads for a 1600 I built last summer I passed on the AA 500 stock heads for that reason. I ended up getting the stock autolinea heads from CB which were 50cc chambers.
As for the other upgrade questions, I'm currently building an 1835 for my split window bus which others here have suggested.
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

I built the engine roughly ten years ago so I don't have any notes . regarding compression Ratio, I would have checked it . I don't remember it being lower than stock. It does have more power than other buses I have driven a 1700 type 4 that was a dog compared to mine.

Are you saying it falling on its face is due to low compression, I was wondering if it was due to the stock cam running out of revs or the ports or valve springs.

Has anyone got experience of a stock cam with 1.4 rockers?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

early wrote:
Wondering if you happen to check the head chamber capacity of those AA500 heads before installing.
I was thinking they were like 60cc which would make for a really low compression 1600. Like 6.7:1. Which could be the problem you are having.
I might be mistaken on that 60cc number but when I was looking for stock heads for a 1600 I built last summer I passed on the AA 500 stock heads for that reason. I ended up getting the stock autolinea heads from CB which were 50cc chambers.
As for the other upgrade questions, I'm currently building an 1835 for my split window bus which others here have suggested.
This! I've seen several now who just slapped these heads on an otherwise stock 1600 and they run like shit! Compression WAY too low! What doesn't help is that a few years ago they were advertised a couple places with the wrong CCs, and advertised as a stock replacement. To the author, if they are those heads, you would have had to have had them cut as the chamber is 59-60 cc vs. 51-52 on a stock head
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Ok I have edited the original question to get it to the point I was asking. The engine doesn't run badly and I didn't slap it together, it is just time for more power.

Thanks.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Yes you can put 1.4 ratio rockers on a stock cam but the cost of the new rockers plus the correct length push rods will never be worth the very tiny gains in power. If you are planning to put in 92's then split the cast and get a new cam.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

My current driver has 1.4 rockers and a stock cam. I didn't want to split the case, but I wanted more smiles. Single port, dual carb, cheap header. I'd do it again for a driver that I didn't want to build from scratch. I think that this engine will rev until it scatters in a bug.
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
My current driver has 1.4 rockers and a stock cam. I didn't want to split the case, but I wanted more smiles. Single port, dual carb, cheap header. I'd do it again for a driver that I didn't want to build from scratch. I think that this engine will rev until it scatters in a bug.

That's interesting to hear, what valve springs and pushrods are you using.
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Yes you can put 1.4 ratio rockers on a stock cam but the cost of the new rockers plus the correct length push rods will never be worth the very tiny gains in power. If you are planning to put in 92's then split the cast and get a new cam.

I have just spent a few minutes on dub Dyno I know it won't be totally accurate but it gives me an idea.

A Scat C25 with 1.25 rockers 8.0:1 gives 84hp 114 ft/lbs
Engle 100 1.25 rockers 8.0:1 gives 87hp 115 ft/lbs
Stock cam 1.4 rockers 7.5:1 gives 82hp 114 ft/lbs

The stock cam has the most low rpm torque , the C25 is very similar just slightly less low down torque. The engle 100 has less low down but more at higher rpm.

In previous searches I have read that the w100 has a crappy low end and Scat C25 grinds are not as good as they used to be. So are there any CB grinds that will give good low rpm torque.

As you say 1.4 rockers will be the more expensive way to go, the case will be opened anyway to machine for the cylinders.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

STAY AWAY from the C25 It is about the lousiest cam on the market, at least for now. Totally useless.

Since you have very little idea about where your current engine falls off it is a little difficult to determine what is the reason, - if there is any.
One obvius is that muffler. It is ok for a stocker, but not much more than that. the next is probably timing and fuel. If it runs lean it will not make power. A low compression engine will typically rev, but not pull much.

The 1835 solution is a good option for a bus. Thw W100 is fine for what you want to build. - Yes "we" prefer other cams, but the W100 is not a bad cam for the segment.
As always, the power is in the heads. The AA500´s aint bad out of the box, but if you want decent power out of an 1835 withém they need a little help. Correcting the seats and strategic touching the ports and chambers.
Get a proper muffler If you are not into VS (Which would be my choice for such a vehicle) you can use a regular 1 3/8" header but make yourself a better muffler for it.
A well built 1835 bus engine built around the parts mentioned can easily be around 100 hp and 160ish Nm torque.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Scrapefest wrote:
rosevillain wrote:

Off the shelf 'heavy duty' valve springs, factory pushrods cut to length.
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
STAY AWAY from the C25 It is about the lousiest cam on the market, at least for now. Totally useless.

Since you have very little idea about where your current engine falls off it is a little difficult to determine what is the reason, - if there is any.
One obvius is that muffler. It is ok for a stocker, but not much more than that. the next is probably timing and fuel. If it runs lean it will not make power. A low compression engine will typically rev, but not pull much.

The 1835 solution is a good option for a bus. Thw W100 is fine for what you want to build. - Yes "we" prefer other cams, but the W100 is not a bad cam for the segment.
As always, the power is in the heads. The AA500´s aint bad out of the box, but if you want decent power out of an 1835 withém they need a little help. Correcting the seats and strategic touching the ports and chambers.
Get a proper muffler If you are not into VS (Which would be my choice for such a vehicle) you can use a regular 1 3/8" header but make yourself a better muffler for it.
A well built 1835 bus engine built around the parts mentioned can easily be around 100 hp and 160ish Nm torque.

Thanks for the help.

The bus fell on its face when I was merging at a badly designed road layout , I think I was in third gear at high rpm.
It was only this one time it happened , I don't usually drive it that hard. Before I added the brake servo and exhaust it drove very well and was nice to just pull away smoothly from idle.

When I changed the exhaust I used a wideband to check it, it was now quite lean down low , I am not sure if the sensor was too close to the exit so I just upped the idles and have only used it a few times since, it still drives nicely enough but not as good as before.
I was thinking of getting the bus out to test it now I have a rev counter fitted.

I had planned to use a 1 3/8 header ( with heat exchangers) and build my own muffler setup I would like a quiet exhaust . I will consider a VS I will see how my budget goes.

I don't mind buying a different cam it just seems CB has so many to choose from and when I searched I didn't find a recommendation that matches my bus exactly. For me CB is easy to deal with and I can order other parts at the same time.

What corrections to the valve seats would you do?
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
Scrapefest wrote:
rosevillain wrote:

Off the shelf 'heavy duty' valve springs, factory pushrods cut to length.

Was that single or dual springs?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

If you get the power up enough with a big engine you will then risk being able to fry the engine even better than with a stock 1600 ..

I have to watch the gauges as the stock cooling gets overwhelmed at a steady 65mph with a 1641 with a progressive and a single quiet pack and crank fire ignition..
With the AFR sitting at 12.5:1 on the gauge, and the timing on the gauge at 28 degrees WOT or 29 degrees slightly off WOT.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
If you get the power up enough with a big engine you will then risk being able to fry the engine even better than with a stock 1600 ..

I have to watch the gauges as the stock cooling gets overwhelmed at a steady 65mph with a 1641 with a progressive and a single quiet pack and crank fire ignition..
With the AFR sitting at 12.5:1 on the gauge, and the timing on the gauge at 28 degrees WOT or 29 degrees slightly off WOT.

Something is obviusly wrong. If AFR and cooling is right I suggest the timing to be too low. If too low the exhaust ports will heat up the heads a lot under load. Increase the timing 2 degrees.

A good multi angle seat job along with dressing the intake valves can soon make the difference of 5 hp and 3-5 pounds of torque all the way from off idle to peak.
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

To be honest, I have no desire to drive faster , I cruise in the slow lane with the trucks, 55-60 mph is fine for me, with the current setup it has made it over to Belgium and back fine. I just want to accelerate a bit quicker when I need to. I plan on an additional oil cooler and maybe duct extra air into the engine bay.

When I freshened up the 2110 in my bug adding a tight fitting foam strip around the oil cooler dropped the oil temperature noticeably
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

It's a shame Aircooled.net is no longer in business.

I used their L-3 heads, 1.4 ratio rockers, pre cut pushrods that only worked if you were replacing stock rocker arms with 1.4s.

They fit and worked great.

I'm sure the heads made more of a difference than the ratio rockers.

I added a pair of IDF 40's to the stock internals 1776 and the combo is sooooo
much stronger than when it was a single port.

Dub Dyno gives it 89.9 HP based on this combo.
dgsaz
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Scrapefest wrote:
Ok I have edited the original question to get it to the point I was asking. The engine doesn't run badly and I didn't slap it together, it is just time for more power.

Thanks.
Sorry, didn't mean to say you did.. it's just something I mention for those not in the know. For me, I LOVE the CB 2280 cam. I despise high RPM only engines and have had great luck with these in smaller engines. Over cammed busses are super annoying to drive. Something like the 2280 is better for torque and slightly increased RPM range. I'm currently building a 1776 for myself with one and 8.5:1 compression. You could also look at the 2232. Been thinking of trying one after hearing great reviews, but I run F.I. on everything I have so it may be too much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

The only reason I can think of to put 1.4s on a stock cam is if you are absolutely unwilling or unable to down the vehicle long enough to split the case. Racerdave is exactly right on this. Easy to drop upwards of $500 on rockers and pushrods if you go with Berg (~345 on the rockers, and 100+ on pushrods, then shipping, and depending on where you are, taxes & duties too). There are cheaper ways from other vendors whose parts may be just fine and set up easily enough. But once you're done you'll barely notice the difference, all other things being equal.

Been there, and that's been my experience.

Split it, cam it, and build it back right using the information some of our brilliant builders have shared with us, if you are willing and able. Less disappointment that way...
Scrapefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock cam with 1.4 rockers or mild cam Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

A good multi angle seat job along with dressing the intake valves can soon make the difference of 5 hp and 3-5 pounds of torque all the way from off idle to peak.

Are there any affordable seat cutters that are worth having , I did a search and see there are Sioux copies from India .
I have a mill is there anything which would work on that.

Sadly where I live the Engineering machine shops are rapidly disappearing so I try to do what I can myself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: