Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Bug value help
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Hi All,
Haven't posted in awhile!
I am considering selling my 74 standard. Girlfriend and I are wanting to move due to neighbor that has caused us problems over the years (sorry, too much information) and we need an X amount of $$. X is unknown at this time. Obviously selling my garage toys is gonna help. I have an '81 Vette that I have decided to sell for sure and am working on that but am now considering my Bug. I love this Bug and I honestly like it more than the Vette and don't really want to sell it as it's fun to work on but oh well, that's life Laughing Just wondering if I can get some input on what I should be asking. I am currently looking at the samba classifieds and seeing what people are asking for theirs factoring in year and condition. Prices seem to be all over the place. Some background on my Bug: I bought from an online auction in 2019 for $700 and was listed as a non runner. I gambled and bought it. Got it home and charged the battery and it started right up. Haven't done anything cosmetically, just mechanical. Just looking for some input because I'm certain I can get more than what I paid. Not trying to screw anyone over, but obviously I want to get as much as I can. I'll add some pics to this thread soon as well as trying to remember everything I've done/fixed. FYI, a couple years ago I sold my 74 Super on here and got what I asked but now wondering if I should have asked for more despite it being a Super and rougher around the edges.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Rusted out places determines value along with missing parts. A good rule of thumb is determine what it might be worth if you were buying it then add $500 so they can Bargen you down to your real price and it should sell.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

thanks Starbucket. I'm working uploading pics to this thread if anyone wants to comment and throw me a number. I'll have them up soon.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

I am getting together a list of known problems/stuff I've fixed and will post soon.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
I am getting together a list of known problems/stuff I've fixed and will post soon.

Sounds like an ad.

Remember that ads are not allowed in the forums.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

here's a couple of pics of under the crescent vents

rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

I understand it looks like an ad and I didn't intend that. Just hoping for some number input. I apologize.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

I understand it looks like an ad and I didn't intend that. Just hoping for some number input. I apologize.

I will absolutely put a post in the correct part of the site when I can figure out what I'm going to ask for it. If this needs removed or edited please let me know.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

Its, as you userid says, a Rusty Bug. $500-$1000 is all it's worth. Start high, you can always be talked down.

You paid $700.. be glad to get it back.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

Its, as you userid says, a Rusty Bug. $500-$1000 is all it's worth. Start high, you can always be talked down.

Thanks Glenn but Rusty is my name. Thought it'd be a funny user name Laughing
I'm a little surprised at the range you suggest but ok, thank you.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Sounds like an ad.

It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

so true. Thank you. I have an idea of a number now and am working on an ad that i will put in the classifieds section.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

If you can drive it home ask 4,500 for a quick sale and 5,500 if you've got time to sit a bit to see what comes along.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
If you can drive it home ask 4,500 for a quick sale and 5,500 if you've got time to sit a bit to see what comes along.

Did you see the rot by the back window?

Who know what the rockers and pans are under the insulation. Even the rim is bent.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Also I think Craigslist and Facebook are going to tap into an audience that is less picky about early vs late and standard vs super and less vigilant about the death foam areas below the crescent vents. On a general purpose advertising market might be more likely to be seen by people who just see a bright Yellow VW Bug that would be fun to drive around.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Who know what the rockers and pans are under the insulation. Even the rim is bent.

Yep, still the market is changing if you ask me and there is a broader audience if the car can drive around locally like a novelty toy. Narrower market for people looking for the right car to restore.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

If it doesn't drive around I think 1,500 is where it finally moves out. Engine looks like it runs, from across the interwebs anyway.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

I like Buggeee's numbers Laughing
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bug value help Reply with quote

Engine extracted is $1K if it's a solid runner.

$2K car and out the door.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: