Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90mm 12V generator conversion questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drksderob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: 90mm 12V generator conversion questions Reply with quote

I have a 1956 Oval. Its been off the road for 7 years. I want to get it back on the road this year for 2 reasons. To enjoy it with my young family and to let my grandfather drive it. He was my citys very first VW technician in the early fifties and has said he would like to drive a beetle again. This is my mission now. The only thing holding me back is this generator. Its a 90mm 6V body and I bought this kit from ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/283701690294?itmmeta=01HS3...5DbuvnIYw.

My problem is that when I fit it all together it seems very tight still and rubs. Im looking for advice, install videos or pictures...really anything to help. The windings seem too thick and rub on the armature. Thanks for reading.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 90mm 12V generator conversion questions Reply with quote

You need something like a tailpipe expander. Compress the coils in place, and while expanded tighten the big screws on the side. Trying to tighten with the screws alone won’t get it done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

drksderob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 90mm 12V generator conversion questions Reply with quote

You know what? I think you may be right. I tried a expander but not at the same time as trying to screw the plates tighter. I compressed, removed the tool and tried. Ill try it tonight. I hope youre right.

Thanks,
Rob
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 90mm 12V generator conversion questions Reply with quote

I used the same conversion kit. I did the same thing on my generator using my small tail pipe expander. It worked perfectly. Good luck!
'63 OG 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: