Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

In checking my end play, I need to get some slightly thicker shims for my '77 2.0.

I see these shims on Jbugs: https://www.jbugs.com/product/113105285A.html

However, it says these are only for buses up to '71. Will these still work? Not sure if they're a different diameter on the earlier engines?

If not, where can I buy these things?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

Type 1 shins will not work. You need shims for a Type 4, which was found in 72+ buses, 80-82 Vanagons, and Porsche 914’s. Expand your search to those makes.

Van Again Dot com has been a good source for me. Are they still around?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

ECS tuning has a pack of 5 shims for 914 for 21.99

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
In checking my end play, I need to get some slightly thicker shims for my '77 2.0.

I see these shims on Jbugs: https://www.jbugs.com/product/113105285A.html

However, it says these are only for buses up to '71. Will these still work? Not sure if they're a different diameter on the earlier engines?

If not, where can I buy these things?

Are you needing 34's, 36's, 38's?

I have a small pile that's totally overkill to be hoarding. I easily have 3 36's but may or may not have any 38's left. I think I have one that was supposed to be 38 but measured a hair under so it's in my 36 pile. Anyway, unless you need all 38's, PM me and ill drop some in the mail for ya if you know the total thickness you need, ill see if I have the right combo or any singles that might help get you closer.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

Are you needing 34's, 36's, 38's?

I have a small pile that's totally overkill to be hoarding. I easily have 3 36's but may or may not have any 38's left. I think I have one that was supposed to be 38 but measured a hair under so it's in my 36 pile. Anyway, unless you need all 38's, PM me and ill drop some in the mail for ya if you know the total thickness you need, ill see if I have the right combo or any singles that might help get you closer.

PM'd! THANK YOU!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

Remember to use at least three shims AND get the right endplay.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

Wanted to close the loop on this.

airkooledchris hooked me up with the shims I needed. A new 0.36mm shim from Bus Depot and a 0.34mm from him along with an existing 0.36mm shim and I'm dialed in at 0.004" end play.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where Can I purchase Flywheel Shims? Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
Wanted to close the loop on this.

airkooledchris hooked me up with the shims I needed. A new 0.36mm shim from Bus Depot and a 0.34mm from him along with an existing 0.36mm shim and I'm dialed in at 0.004" end play.

Cool!! Congratulations on how it all worked out for you... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: