Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

I have CB comp eliminator heads as I was Priming my oil pump noticed my push rod tubes moving around. I believe my tubes are the Jay c’s ? yet my 1 and 4 exhaust move the most. I have autocrat 1:4’s lift is over 520 my dial indicator doesn’t show more. I measured some single use big mouth tubes and these are bigger. I was going to pull the heads and change the tubes but that may not solve my problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Can you define "Moving" a little better?
Are the tubes rotating or moving fore and aft, up down?

I have Jay Cee tubes on one of my engines. They are tight in place due to a narrow engine. They don't move in any direction. The springs are compressed about as much as in the example pics above.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Its hitting somewhere. Get a flashlight in there and find out where its hitting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

As JPaul says.....Your pushrods are rubbing the tubes. You need to find out where they are rubbing and then adjust the rocker over which ever way gives clearance. It looks like some of the feet are offset a bit so you do have room to adjust.

1.4 rockers do take more room. You can also get different P/R tubes that are larger diameter. I think CB sells them.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Might just be the pic but the inside of the intake rocker on the left looks like it has a washer with too big of an OD and is fouling the rocker?

Also looks like that washer is pushing the rocker over to where the pushrod is fouling the tube?

See if you can’t remove the washer that sits between the intake rocker and the center of the shaft.

What’s That Noise?!?
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Just by turning the motor, the pushrods rub which I turn causes the tubes to move like a worm. Manly 1 and 4 exhaust but a couple of others you can feel them moving. A lot of lift changes things. I installed a big oil cooler and lines so in the process of priming the oil pump I noticed. Haven’t started the motor yet do I don’t know how noisy it is or isn’t. With the spring loaded tubes the f do isn’t appear to leak? Btw the washer I put into replace the wider one that I used to move the rocker over to the right to give it more clearance. Reading another post. Somebody with similar Situation ,went ahead and put on CB 1.4 rockers and it solved their problem.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

I used 1.25 rockers which turned out to be about 1.38 ratio. I had one pushrod that rubbed which I didn't catch on setup so after one season my .035" Cromoly pushrod was worn almost through.
I went through the shim setup of both rocker shafts and centered all the pushrods into the tubes better instead of giving the rocker swipe pad an offset to one side of the valve stem.
I also used CB pushrod tubes. Here is a link.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1565.htm

They also have them in stainless but also twice the price so I use the regular ones since they get replaced whenever I pull heads for inspections.
Taking time to shim the rockers for clearance will usually fix the issue unless you are running really large diameter pushrods.
Those P/R tubes you are using are made of aluminum and will have a smaller inside diameter due to the material used to build them and needing o-rings to seal the two pieces together.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Sometimes the springs on those pushrod tubes won't seat squarely on the machined register on the tube ends and cause the pushrod tube to be just slight cocked and allow the tube to make contact with the with the push rod. Check to see if any of the ends or tails of the springs are trying to ride off the outer edge or outer diameter of the machined register.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

^^^^

What clone bug has said here is how I make my 7/16" pushrods work. Centering over the tube takes priority over centering over the stem. I use the same pushrod tubes. Not a fan of two-piece tubes.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Apparently the competition eliminator heads, have their valves spaced out an additional hundred thousandths… muffler, Mike along time ago had a shim made to move the rocker over and he flipped the caps over that looks like it’s gonna be a solution. Other forums say if I just buy the CB rocker arms, that’ll solve it also. However, I’m leaning towards using the big mouth, single used tubes and shims for my rocker arms. I hate to give up quality auto craft rockers. It’s funny how much time you can spend sorting through posts to find the experience required to make things right.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to do what works for you.....

I wanted to upgrade to 1.25 ratio rockers and thought it would be easy and cheap.....Getting parts machined and fitted correctly ended up costing way too much in time and money and you never can recoup the cost or justify it for the hp gained.
I could have turned up the boost by a lb. or less and gained more......I do love the sheep's foot style of rocker though.....so I did gain a little there.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Yep, those old Autocraft rockers are obsolete for anything other than a mild build. I have seen my share of needle cages broken or the rocker broken in half.
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

If you decide to go with the CB 1.4 rocker arms just a warning the CB rockers ratio will actually be 1.45:1 to 1.5:1.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

The Ebay 1.25's run about 1.38

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
The Ebay 1.25's run about 1.38

The ones I sell measure 1.33 with my tools and methods. I am sure production tolerances are a factor too.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

the ratio changes with rocker Hight as well as cam lift. be sure you dont have bent pushrods causing the tube issues.... I move the rockers over to get the clearance I want.tip alighnment isant a reall issue as long as your not running the rocker off the tip or lashcap. Ive never had any issue with big mouth tubes.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

Please tell me more about the cb 1:3 and 1:4 what year did they change because they advertise true 1:3 and 1:4. I called cb performance today and he said their rockers work with the comp eliminator heads. I installed some 1:5 sig erson ones and no more rubbing however I now have .640 which I find a little scary. I need to pull a head and check for clearance first. As it was I was only .530 before so I might have only had 1:3 autocraft. No real good at the math side. I thought they were 1:4. So if I buy cb 1:4 and they turn out to be closer to 1:5 it wouldn’t be good. To recap my comp heads they move the valves out a .100 out compared to normal heads. That’s my dilemma.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

What cam are you running?
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

It’s a mystery as of now has about .530 lift.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cb comp eliminator heads push rod tubes moving Reply with quote

The cam is something that needs to be known, pull the oil pump and take a look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: