Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

^^^This! 100%^^^

I might also add:

Remember when you got to actually DRIVE the car, not some computer driving it for you? That includes selecting the gears too by the way!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
NJ John wrote:
I sometimes think about getting a modern factory hot rod or sports car. But I would probably still keep my classics and be wrenching on them.

Yeah, but...

Your choices are new Chryslers that look like old Chryslers.

New Mustangs that look like old Mustangs.

New Broncos that look like old Broncos.

New Land Cruisers that look like old Land Cruisers.

New Camaros that look like old Hot Wheels.

New Corvettes that look like Pontiac Azteks. They were probably designed by the same styling team.

Built not bought:

Remember when you could open the hood and name every part you saw?

Remember when you actually could see the motor not just a snake pit of plumbing?

Remember when you could swap wheels and tires without having to mess with the stupid TPI system? If your ass is properly calibrated it will tell you when you have a low tire.

I paid $31k for my first house. I vowed to never pay more than that for a car.

All new cars look like sneakers

(C) Abscate
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
NJ John wrote:
I sometimes think about getting a modern factory hot rod or sports car. But I would probably still keep my classics and be wrenching on them.

Yeah, but...

Your choices are new Chryslers that look like old Chryslers.

New Mustangs that look like old Mustangs.

New Broncos that look like old Broncos.

New Land Cruisers that look like old Land Cruisers.

New Camaros that look like old Hot Wheels.

New Corvettes that look like Pontiac Azteks. They were probably designed by the same styling team.

(C) Abscate

oprn wrote:
^^^This! 100%^^^

I might also add:

Remember when you got to actually DRIVE the car, not some computer driving it for you? That includes selecting the gears too by the way!

The Corolla we rented out in California featured "lane correction" and a big screen TV stickin' up outta the dash damn near up to the rearview mirror. The lane correction felt weird but then I've spent a lifetime drivin' junk with worn out suspension. Old Bugs with loose link pins and worn steering boxes seem to have minds of their own. Lane correction is reminiscent of my worn out old cars.

They're worn out before I fix 'em.

"Ultimately, the Aztek was criticized for its styling. Mickey Kaus described the Aztek as having "awkwardly empty and square front wheel wells" and a "gratuitous, fierce animalistic snout, which may have been what prompted incoming GM executive Bob Lutz to famously say that many of the company's products looked like 'angry kitchen appliances.' "

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

(C) Abscate

I would describe all SUVs as looking like pregnant potato beetles. In fact when I drive past one that has been in a fender bender I somehow expect to see the yellow juice oozing out onto the road.

Anyone that patrolled the potato patch as a kid and who's job it was to squash them between two rocks knows exactly what I am saying!
https://www.agdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/bg-colorado-potato-beetle-001-Anton-Vakulenko.jpg
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

approaching my mid 40's now. professional tech for 30 years. i've watched the carb guys retire when FI and OBD1 became mainstream, and I'm watching guys retire in the advent of EV's

Every fucking inch of me hurts. I sound like bubble wrap when I get up in the morning. Had a heart attack last year and honestly, shouldn't have survived it.

Wasn't until the last few years after a lifetime of staying educated, buying tools and diag equipment that I was actually able to make *close* to what the job is really worth. I mean...Amtrak is paying almost 50/hr for a STARTING position as a mechanic

I have been out of the dealer 9 years this spring. I played catch up on a lot of things. House will be paid off in about 2 more years. After that, I don't give a fuck what I do...chase a lawn mower, rake cigarette butts, hand a coffee out a window...but I won't be doing this shit

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I wrenched full time in a 4X4 shop in my 20's, that really took it out of me. It actually pushed me into VW repair because I was sick of doing really heavy work. My interaction with customers has ebbed and flowed based on space/desire. Flipping cars keeps me in control of the schedule and away from babysitting customer cars ( and losing sleep on parts quality issues).

If I had stayed at a regular garage I'm sure the joy of this would have left the building a long time ago.

Skills and coffee? Sounds like a You-tube channel. Customers drive up, complain about their car problems to the speaker and place an order. They get read the riot act and a cup of burnt, truck stop style black coffee in a Styrofoam cup w/o a lid with Carvanna's number on the side.

Sign me up
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I'll keep tinkering on my cars as long as I can, right now I'm finishing a trans swap on my '66 Single, I do 2-3-4 hours at a time. Working on my feet in kitchens has taken its toll, I'd like to make it to 67 to retire and collect S.S., that's 3 years and seven months away, I do 4 days, 38 hours, but man I'm ready to stop NOW!!! Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I'd like to make it to 67 to retire and collect S.S.,

Do the math, I did and started SS at 62. With careful investing i'm doing better than waiting to 70, which is the max you can get.

I did the math and i'd be 84 before waiting was better. First off, I have to live that long. Secondly, I rather have the money now, when i'm healthy enough to enjoy it. I assume when i'm in my mid 80's my only real expense will be healthcare.

I'm just saying that waiting is NOT ALWAYS the best investment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm 71, still do 98% of the maintenance our six vehicles and two homes. And I do occasional work on my two daughters' vehicles.

However, 2 weeks ago after I diagnosed a bad rear universal joint (staked type) on my 1988 Mazda truck (233K miles), decided to let a shop handle it, they shipped the driveshaft out to a specialty driveshaft shop. Three new universal joints, new carrier bearing, and balance (because it was staked type) set me back $831. With shop rates here in Phoenix area at least $175 an hour, I'll continue to handle most myself.

On the schedule is to replace the manual transmission gear oil and differential oil on my 1998 Frontier. And if the electrical glitch returns on my 1988 Mazda truck AC, to troubleshoot that (I have parts yard stuff on hand for that if necessary).

Yesterday got to replacing the manual transmission gear oil and differential oil on the 1998 Frontier.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

My pop always told me if you stop you rust.. he is right.

I've been wrenching all my life and professionally for over 35 years..
I'm 52 now... and hurt like hell every day..
I noticed years ago.. I hurt less if I keep moving..
I used to hit the shop and tell the writers.. keep me moving and working ... keep shoveling on the coal..

I've graduated to shop foreman a little over a year ago.. .
What I've noticed... the headaches of the dealer grind increased at the same rate the PAIN in my body increased.

Same story... if I'm moving... I don't notice the pain and actually feel better... .but stop and it feels l've been hit with sack of nickels.

If I make it ... I'll be out at the minimum retirement age but doubt Ill ever stop wrenching, tinkering and building.... no matter the pain.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

As long as they keep swiping right, I’ll keep wenching , 25 cents at a time.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Yep, pain is the enemy. Since pain is subjective, distraction is often suggested as a management strategy. Trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem on 55 and 60 year old VWs is analgesic enough hold my joint pain at bay ... unfortunately it does nothing for headaches. Laughing

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I'm at the point now in my life where I either have my son do it or I farm it out to someone with a lift. Smile
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Skills and coffee? Sounds like a You-tube channel. Customers drive up, complain about their car problems to the speaker and place an order. They get read the riot act and a cup of burnt, truck stop style black coffee in a Styrofoam cup w/o a lid with Carvanna's number on the side.

Sign me up

lmao Laughing that actually made me laugh! It's funny how when you're "real" with people they appreciate it...unless you're being "real" with them.

Example: Guy calls up ask's about buying a Volvo with a bunch of issues. I told him bad idea because the repairs will exceed the value of the car IF IT WERE PERFECT... in other words a car with zero issues can be had for less than this pile of shit

He goes on "yea, but I can get it for 2500 bux" I said do it and when it dies peel the plate off and walk home. He got pissy, and I asked... "you called me right? Well, I told you my position and I wouldn't take that car if it were free"

This life coach bullshit is what's getting to me. I can fix the machine...I can't fix the people.

Quote:
that's 3 years and seven months away

you have a clock running down the minutes too Laughing

The reality is I'll do something....despite being a punching bag to the automotive industry I still love it, even if it's an abusive relationship

My 83 year old grandmother is still kicking ass and taking names so I guess there's hope yet.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Turning 55 and been turning those wrenches in an automotive shop for 31 years. Hoping to last until 60, but the body is rapidly aging. Getting up off the floor is much harder in the last couple of years. Used to be able to go to work, then fiddle with my VWs at night. The motivation ain't what it used to be. Hardly ever used to nap. Now when I sit in the old recliner, I can fall asleep in a matter of seconds. Aging sucks, and I am not even THAT old, yet...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Yep, pain is the enemy. Since pain is subjective, distraction is often suggested as a management strategy. Trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem on 55 and 60 year old VWs is analgesic enough hold my joint pain at bay ... unfortunately it does nothing for headaches. Laughing

After working on the line building cars for a bit over 22 years it took a bit of a toll, especially my hands. The dexterity is shot which makes wrenching 10 x's more difficult these days.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

The nap thing is real. I never took naps and basically still don’t, but I can fall asleep in my recliner in seconds if I sit there.
I’ll stop wrenching when I take that permanent nap.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Just past 60 and I've gotten to the point where I no longer enjoy wrenching on my VW's any more. It's getting more difficult to put up with the aches and pains after crawling around on the garage floor.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's getting more difficult to put up with the aches and pains after crawling around on the garage floor.

When I built the garage I put Pex tubing under the floor for "future" improvements. Last fall I finally took the time to trench lines in to the boiler in the house. Wow! What a treat! I have spent a LOT of time laying on the floor this winter under the Buggy. At times I just lay there soaking up the heat and listening to the -30 wind blowing outside piling up the snow drifts! Very Happy

Should have hooked that up years ago!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
This life coach bullshit is what's getting to me. I can fix the machine...I can't fix the people.

My dominatrix friend... erm... associate can adjust your relationship with pain. She can fix people, too. Twisted Evil

He stepfather ran a gas station for most of her life. She worked as a pump jockey while the rest of of us were bagging groceries.

I've been playing guitar forever. Gave it up for Covid. I suck at it, anyway. I don't think my hands will ever be arthritic although they should be.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: