Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

These are currently available from American Racing Wheels.....probably you can get them from Summit Racing.....they look like a fairly close match. Or at least better match than what you currently have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Try Terry Rowe. He has a great collection of vintage mags for sale. Survivor cars deserve real vintage wheels.

https://akhwheels.com/wheels/15-x-7-5-8-5-et-iii-v...the-1970s/
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
This an old pic. I haven't put the top on yet but it's in great shape. The rest of the car is pretty good gel coat, but the nose feels like gravel. It's raw sparkles exposed and faded. That was the original owners only regret with the car is the tarp didn't cover the nose.

When you go to put the top on I recommend doing it on a warm sunny day and take it easy. Vinyl can shrink and stiffen over time but warmth will help it flex and stretch much better. Once you put the top on I would recommend leaving it in place for a week or two, giving it a chance to return to its original shape.

I see the burn on the gelcoat up front. The front of my Mini-T felt like sandpaper. I left the grill area as a testament. The smoothed front is past the clear and deep in the metal flake. What I've got may not look good enough for your tastes. Still, I would not give up hope on restoring the nose of yours. Lacquer paints stick very well to gelcoat. A shop may be able to color sand the damage smooth and blend it into the rest of the hood and body with some tinted clear followed with several layers of clear coat for some depth. Gelcoat is such a long wearing finish that I would go to some length to save it.
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

I'm with EVfun on saving the gelcoat. Survivor cars seem to be a lot more desirable these days than restorations and have more character
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Still, I would not give up hope on restoring the nose of yours. Lacquer paints stick very well to gelcoat. A shop may be able to color sand the damage smooth and blend it into the rest of the hood and body with some tinted clear followed with several layers of clear coat for some depth. Gelcoat is such a long wearing finish that I would go to some length to save it.

This is well worth trying!
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

A pre-tag Manx???? No it's not a pre-tag
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

I got the body off. Cleaned up the pan and coated it with bed liner top and bottom. She smuggled a couple rat nests from New York, and I found a ladybug nest in the side pod. That's good luck right?
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

I got her fired up. She runs. But not great. There's not a lot of compression. Going to pull the engine and give it a makeover.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

One more rats nest under the engine tin. Glad I didn't run it for long
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: What do you think of these carburators!!?? Reply with quote

Nice little before and after of the carbs and manifolds. Everything got disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, and painted. Eye candy.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

You made those PDSIT's look good as gold, Swg. My PDSI (no T) Brosol's are very similar and use the same linkage, tho it had to go thru alternator:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Here's my seats with fresh upholstery. The originals were pretty crispy. Also the original owner cut a hole in the tub for a pocket in the side pod, so I had some pockets made. It's uv and water resistant, rated for boats.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

That's a good looking engine.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Winnie sent me a care package. My Meyers Manx Certificate of Authenticity and some new hardware! Whoop whoop.

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Engine progress pics. Don't have everything yet, but it's taking shape

516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Samantha says she's been good. Brown Santa brought her some new dancing shoes.

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Yikes, a full set of new shoes!! No luck with finding a pair of ET's ? I love the Radial TA's.

I'd watch the gold spray bomb on the carbs, the fuel (and vapour) will eat that paint like sugar cube in coffee. Make sure you at least clean off the paint from the inlet as the gas will turn that into lube and blow off the fuel line.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Crossing my fingers on the painted carbs. My buddy has done it for years on his hotrods. Thx for the tip on the inlet.
I imagine I could find some old wheels if I really tried, but they really weren't my bag. Maybe I'm too young. The older guys that have seen them get all giddy.

I kept with the vintage look. Went with American Racing 5 spoke. Similar to a Crager. I did a lot if research and looking at pictures before I bought. I really like the big tires with 15" wheels.

The package has 15x10 on the rear with 295/50 and 15x7 225/60 up front.

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Got the shoes on and the disc brake done. The front brakes went smooth but the rears weren't happy.

I found someone else who had a similar issue a while back, but not a lot of support. The rear caliper wasn't centered on the rotor when mounted to the bracket, it was actually touching the rotor. After measuring everything more than once and trying to find the problem/ solution, I ended up milling down the spacer 94 thousandths. Good ole high-school math that you'll never use kid!

Went with American bolt pattern, no adapters. Shot all the brake hardware with hightemp clearcoat to keep then looking pretty. The front wheels are 15x7 with 225/60. The rears are 15x10 with 295/50. Also went with the 13/16" lug nuts. They're a little tight to get a tool in there but I like the look.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Here's some engine pics. Shot my jugs with high temp clear, and cured them on the Woodstove. Then a side by side of my original fan housing vs my new fancy fan housing. Missing from the comparison are the spray paint caps blocking off the outlets.

My buddy Mopar Mike tuned up the fan housing. Cut off the ends, shaped, molded, smoothed out and powder coated. I painted the inner fan the same sparkly green as the body.

The original jugs were rusty and crusty, so I went with a 1641 kit. I also tuned up the heads a little. The heads got a light porting job, nothing major, but there were some obvious areas for improvement. Along with the ported heads, since it only costs 49 cents to super-size Samantha got 1.25 rockers. That'll make her think she got a saucy cam slipped in when she wasn't looking

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: