Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Offroad tire / gearing questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misclecarsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

I’ve been searching on what my options are for tire size to go with unknown gearing. I’m currently running 30 rear tires with a close ratio 3&4 gears. Right now theses a 200 rpm gap from 3 to 4. In 4th I’m at 50mph at 3000rpm. The motors definitely got enough ass to keep pulling in 4. However I really don’t want to wind the engine on long trips ( along with getting run over ) from the low gearing .

Looking for input on the thoughts of going to a 33” tire in hopes of gaining a little more road speed while still being able to go offroad and on beach.

Unfortunately the person I bought it from was not the builder or a car guy. Within the 6 months he owned it , he lost paperwork of the build in a move and can’t remember anything.

In hopes of answering questions that might arise I’ve added pics of the buggy that might answer some of the typical tire questions
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

Sweet buggy! Looking at the cage and dual IDF carbs it was built to run 31inch Desert Traks or Sand Vipers. Operate at high rpm in the dunes (Glamis) and I bet its a blast But... you removed it from its natural habitat, 33s are not going to give your enough gearing for the Highway. Trans has to come out. A 3:88 R&P and stock gear set would work fine.

With the stock suspension off road your going to use 1st and 2nd 90% of the time 3rd for the smooth stuff 4th for the highway. Honestly you have waaay to much motor for the few inches of suspension travel every time your on and off the gas doing a rutted woods trails so lasts say hundred's of times you have 4 acc pump nozzles pumping fuel washing down the engine. Just out of its element. The good part is VWs are fun and easy to modify that's what makes them so appealing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Misclecarsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed reply. This is my first VW and I’m clueless to them. I’m more in tune to the older pontiacs. In Hindsight , I should have mentioned where the end goal for this is. . Yes I have it out of its element , however , its final destination will be my house in Los Cabos BCS at the tip of the Baja peninsula. In a perfect scenario , I’d like to squeeze a more mph than 50mph for short trips ( 20 miles to Cabo ) yet still be able to have a usable 4th on the desert and beach.

I have it here in Virginia because I have a full blown shop here vs nothing there but tools. You mentioned suspension limitations , I’ve looked into suspension alternatives on the net but it seems to me a murky subject where people seem to disagree on setup recipes. What’s a functional setup without going to an A arm ? Again, I’m sorry if I’m not making any sense as this is a new world to me.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

VWs are stupid lightweight. (Fiberglass buggy's especially ). You have a great setup the cage looks well made and safe for road use. A big mistake people make is front tires (Keep them skinny) fat front tires are death traps push like crazy off road and will hydroplane EZ in the rain. I would pull the trans set it aside its worth a few $$$$. 30 inch tires are perfect Don't change them.

Call up Benco or Wright they know their Sh!t. Tell them you have a swing axle Manx buggy with 30inch tires it tops out at 50mph 3000RMP with a close 3rd and 4th and you need to run highways they will set you up.

You have a Type 1 swing axle sedan transmission
You want what they call a (pro street) build.

https://bencotransaxles.com/

https://wrightgearbox.com/

Suspension,
I like maxing out stock components. They have a lot to give with proper Modifications. Looks like you have a mostly Stock Swing axle rear, with a Stock non lifted ball-joint front-end yet its modified for a rack-n-pinion steering interesting setup. The OG builder spent money on high end improvements but left some items stock regardless you have a great starting point!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Misclecarsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

Dbl post

Last edited by Misclecarsonly on Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Misclecarsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
VWs are stupid lightweight. (Fiberglass buggy's especially ). You have a great setup the cage looks well made and safe for road use. A big mistake people make is front tires (Keep them skinny) fat front tires are death traps push like crazy off road and will hydroplane EZ in the rain. I would pull the trans set it aside its worth a few $$$$. 30 inch tires are perfect Don't change them.

Call up Benco or Wright they know their Sh!t. Tell them you have a swing axle Manx buggy with 30inch tires it tops out at 50mph 3000RMP with a close 3rd and 4th and you need to run highways they will set you up.

You have a Type 1 swing axle sedan transmission
You want what they call a (pro street) build.

https://bencotransaxles.com/

https://wrightgearbox.com/

Suspension,
I like maxing out stock components. They have a lot to give with proper Modifications. Looks like you have a mostly Stock Swing axle rear, with a Stock non lifted ball-joint front-end yet its modified for a rack-n-pinion steering interesting setup. The OG builder spent money on high end improvements but left some items stock regardless you have a great starting point!

Thanks for the insight and info. Apparently I got one thing right. I’ve purchased a set of wide 5 centerlines and bought 2 7.00 x 15 yokos shaved for the front. I’m more than likely going to buy a crap set of 33s and see if I can squeeze a few mph out on the road then see how it will do offroad pulls in 3&4. In all honesty , I don’t mind the close ratio 3&4 but woul like to do occasional 20 mile trip to Cabo on the highway. Most of its time on roads is going to be on 30-40 mps roads
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad tire / gearing questions Reply with quote

I don't know what you call off road but around here (mostly flat prairie) I run my sand rail mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. That's with a Bus transaxle and 26" tall tires on the rear. It is a rare occasion when it is smooth enough to use the bottom end of 3rd gear! My teeth, back and kidneys will not take that kind of punishment!

If you are running in 3rd and 4th gear off road that must be some smooth country!

...or, you are one tough dude!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: