Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmandaCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Slow but steady progress. Just wish my husband didn't have to work so much OT but somebody's gotta make the diesel.

Took out the steering column, sanded it down and gave it a fresh spray.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dropped the front end and husband is tackling the "take apart and put back together". I've sanded as much of the pedal assembly as I can until we figure out how to get the damned pin out of the clutch pedal. Hopefully then I can put it in the sandblaster cabinet, spray and get it back together.

Tires were a minimum of 24 years old (still had paper on them from Sears) and tried as we might we couldn't get the crusty ass rubber off ourselves. Had to take to a tire shop, so husband will blast the wheels at work hopefully tonight before I repaint them.

Ordered a new key (from someone on here in fact) and bought this 3D printed keychain (my son tried to find the print file but couldn't). The silver part spins and you had a choice of colors for a fairly decent price. Looks chewed up but it's just how it photographed. After I purchased I got a message from the seller saying he'd received a cease and desist from VW so mine was the last one he could advertise lol

I loved my ZL1s but the superchargers were rather wasted on the traffic and lack of open roads here. I traded in my 2018 on a 2022 Countryman S so I've already gotten accustomed to a slower cruising speed lol Here's hoping we can get more things accomplished soon!

Previous toys:
2015 ZL1 - ran 165mph standing mile @ Texas Mile
2018 ZL1 - ran 175mph standing mile @ Texas Mile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AmandaCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Husband decided we would remove and rebuild the front end. Here's before and afters painted all pretty.

We reinstalled it yesterday but I haven't taken pictures of that yet.

While he did that I took apart the pedal assembly, cleaned, sandblasted, painted and put it back together. I hate cross shaft pins!!!! It's not perfect but it's done.

I didn't post my wheels here. Husband sandblasted them at work (our home cabinet isn't large enough), then I primed, wet sanded, painted with VHT silver paint (thanks Rome) and a crap ton of clear. We swapped the wonky edged one with the spare and haven't tackled that repair just yet. Got tires Friday to replace the 20 year old ones lol

Previous toys:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Nice job on the wheels. They look beautiful. Applause

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AmandaCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Well it wasn't how we figured we'd progress when starting this project but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Latest update, removed the engine.

Then I removed all the body bolts and my husband made a body dolly. Took myself, my husband, and my son but we got the body off and the pan out.

There ended up being a floor pan repair towards the back of the driver's side that was really hard to do with the body on, so hopefully this will make this faster and smoother. Plus we can do the rear end rebuild without the confines of the body. Truly going to be a new car once we're done lol

Previous toys:
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

You don't fool around! That's a lot of progress in such a short time. But I think you're doing the right thing. You'll get a much better result in the end.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Nice project, you're moving quick! I'll be following along, I have a 74 I'm starting on.
AmandaCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

I feel like it's going incredibly slow! I try to do as much as I can that doesn't require my husband's help but sometimes it's just not a one person job. I've been helping him restore and build cars for 20 years. Everything from Tri 5's to Z06 and ZR1. This is just the first one that's been MY car, so I'm incredibly impatient lol

Power washed the pan and rear end today in preparation to move it into the garage. Easier for him to weld in there, and at the same time we'll start the rear end rebuild. I plan to remove the rest of the trim and interior from the body in the next few days, too. Thanks for following along - I'm learning as I go!

Previous toys:
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

AmandaCB wrote:
I feel like it's going incredibly slow! I try to do as much as I can that doesn't require my husband's help but sometimes it's just not a one person job. I've been helping him restore and build cars for 20 years. Everything from Tri 5's to Z06 and ZR1. This is just the first one that's been MY car, so I'm incredibly impatient lol

Power washed the pan and rear end today in preparation to move it into the garage. Easier for him to weld in there, and at the same time we'll start the rear end rebuild. I plan to remove the rest of the trim and interior from the body in the next few days, too. Thanks for following along - I'm learning as I go!

Nice to see a kindred spirit.
When I got my Ghia I was just going to clean it up and get it running. It was in similar condition to yours with just a little rust on the pan behind the drivers seat.
One thing lead to another and the next thing I know I pulled the body off the pan too.
It’s definitely worth the effort. You’ll know that car inside and out.

Then you can be like me and wonder how in the world does this or that stop working because you’ve touched it and verified it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
AmandaCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Husband was finally able to get enough time off to cut out the sections of floor pan in preparation for repair.

And now the Ghia is finally in the garage for the first time since we brought it home! Okay, half of it anyway! Alongside my husband’s 1967 Camaro. Tomorrow….welding 🔥🤞🏼

Previous toys:
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia coupe one owner barn find project Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I'm also of the mind; if you're going to do it, do it right. Cool

My 68 coupe is my first air cooled engine car, and also the oldest car I've owned. Mine is in nice shape, mostly restored already, but I'm excited to dig in and start tinkering. It of course needs all the usual maintenance work, and I just discovered on the ride home from winter storage that I need new front wheel bearings. I could do just the driver's side since the other seems fine, but why do just one side? Do it once, do it right!

Can't wait to see your progress! Good luck!

1968 Karmann Ghia-some fancy white
1985 Westfalia-some crap brown
1971 Opel GT-hubby's first car
1974 914-mostly rust colored
2007 Cayman S-Sapphire Blue (so pretty!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: