Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggin the Dragon - June 1 2024 - TN
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Buggin the Dragon - June 1 2024 - TN Reply with quote

Anyone here done this? How was it? I'd be driving there from the DC area, in my Super, so it would be quite the road trip.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

Tail of the Dragon? Got a link?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

Here you go!

http://bugginthedragon.com/

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdluna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

Seems like it is only air cooled, am I reading that right?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

It's advertised that way, but I see many "New Beetles" in the pictures on the site. There's a contact link on the site too.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

I’ve been doing it for the past several years. It’s a ton of fun! And it’s open to VW’s of all years and ages, so not just air cooled. However, they try to focus more of the attention on the air cooled cars, since that’s where they started out. They usually try to have it be where the air cooled cars go first and lead the drive, with one or two modern cars up front running interference, and a few more scattered throughout as assistant vehicles. And one or two trucks follow near the back with either trailers or tow bars to rescue anyone who breaks down (there’s always one to three each year - usually due to crappy maintenance or Chinese parts…)

After they reach the second major stopping point (Fontana Dam), everyone splits into three groups - hot rods, regular, or slowpoke, for a proper Tail of the Dragon run. They then head back to the starting point for the final stop, and then from there everyone goes home or to their hotels or wherever.

We’ve always managed to get really lucky and have had beautiful weather each time for the event. If you want, bring a walkie- talkie, as that’s what they use to communicate, as cell phone service will be spotty or nil back up in the mountains. And make sure your car is in good tune! Smile

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

Great info, thanks. How long is the actual drive?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

From the starting point to the final stop where they do the final meeting and everyone splits up to go their separate ways, it’s just over 100 miles. But the entire drive usually takes around 6 hours because it’s a very twisty and curvy route. Make sure your brakes are up to snuff!

They usually stop in Robbinsville NC for an hour for lunch. There’s plenty of options there for food.

If you are driving down from the DC area, are you planning to stay the weekend and check out the sights? Anything in particular you want to see after the drive Saturday or sometime Sunday?

Snort wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

So it starts and ends at the same spot? Honestly, I haven't looked into other things in the area. Given how far I'd be driving to attend, I was thinking overnight Saturday to get a good night's sleep for the schlep back east on Sunday would just about be the limit of my sightseeing beyond the drive itself!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

It starts at the Townsend visitor's center and heads out from there to Foothills Parkway. This is the route they follow.

http://bugginthedragon.com/our-route/

The only thing I will add is they kinda forgot to mention that after the stop at Fontana Dam, everyone splits up into the three groups I mentioned earlier and they all drive back to the gravel pull-over spot for the last & final stop. Then from there everyone splits up and heads home or wherever they are staying.

Snort wrote:
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

Here's the run from 2020. The Tail of The Dragon starts around 8:40.

Link
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

I am a member of the team that host this event, what questions do you have?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

It starts in TN & and ends in NC? Total distance of the drive is 118 miles? And I may have to bring a small dog with me. I'll be looking for hotels that are pet friendly.

Thanks!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
It starts in TN & and ends in NC? Total distance of the drive is 118 miles? And I may have to bring a small dog with me. I'll be looking for hotels that are pet friendly.

Thanks!

Well, thought the website doesn't say it, after Fontana dam, we go back through the dragon and end of at the 1st stop on US129 ( 35°31'25.3"N 83°59'33.5"W ) its just a gravel pull off - we usually hang there and make sure all made it out, give away some stuff, its just some of the group usually departs the group at the dam also..and Dogs are fine, as long as it rides in your car and not mine! lol
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Buggin' the Dragon - Considering Road Trip to This in 2024... Reply with quote

I see the Strawberry Patch is booked. What's another good option in Townsend?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: