Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ??
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

I was going thru my judson super chargers picking one to do another build and forgot i bought these 2 judson super chargers that are on this motor. I've never seen another motor with 2 super chargers and worked. Wish I bought the buggy but that was in the early 90's so i wasn't thinking right back then LoL

Has anyone else done this ?
And has Anyone seen this buggy before ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

Here is a link of a 1967 vw beetle/ bug twin judson supercharger done back in the 70s 👇👇
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/hobby-machinists-supercharger.81673/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

And I believe this is the same 1967 beetle/ bug twin judson on this link as well .....im not to sure but could be ..... 👇👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421979
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

The owner / builder was a mechanic out of Long Beach his name was Jeff Smock he did alot of racing in the late 60's thru the 70's ... ring any bells ?

Thanks guys for the link everyone...so others have done. I might try it and if i do i will start a thread with lots of pics and ALOT questions and opinions
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

I'll be here waiting to see your progress/ build .....
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

It's cool..
But I'm imagining that there is a lot of parasitic loss driving two blowers. Assuming that the drive ratios are calculated to supply the needed boost to each pair of cylinders, you still have twice the mass to spin.
Still, it DOES look cool, but is there any benefit besides the nostalgic wow factor? I'm not knocking it, just trying to understand.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dual judson super chargers on a buggy ?? Reply with quote

If I were to do that ..which I'm not lol....I would custom make the center manifold in two sections one blower for the 1/2 side and the other for the 3/4 cylinders... but yet welded together for support... but than again bigg bore would be needed and bigg valves would be needed to keep up demand...

That's how I can see it but yet I'm no expert ....just seeing it from my way .....some would say you would need a 2400cc for dual judsons but than I don't think you have to build a big engine for the dual judsons ....only reason why we don't see dual judsons supercharger is because of expense to buy them and to have them rebuild is vary vary Pricey .... if they were cheaper I could bet dual judsons would of been the normal boring builds we would see them all the time ...but that's not the case ....

I've always wanted to do the dual judson but bought the judsons and both were cracked and junked them do to the rebuild judson expert saying they are no good so he sent them back and I could never get the guy I bought them from to give me my $$ back he was long gone never to be seen ot heard from again I was 19 at the time and I was so pissed off because I waisted my money on junk.. I even thought about cutting out the Dimond ◇◇◇ intake area where they were cracked from and it got me thinking at the time

If I did that it could possibly make the judson flow more air and less restricted so I contacted Alejandro from Argentina and asked him what was his input on me doing that and he basically said if I did that the vanes would chipp and brake ...but I still don't see they would of since the area where the diamond ◇◇◇ area was aint that big and plus the vanes would ride on the outer area of the judson only the center part of the judson would be Open so I wouldn't see no binging or stuck or how the vanes would brake from opening the intake diamond ◇◇◇ area in the judon because that the most common place for the to crank ....

In my brain I still don't see why it wouldn't work ...I could see if I cut that area out and didn't hone or deburr the area I cut out I can see there would be a problem with the vanes ...but at that time I was young and said oh well and sold the parts and junked the main judson body's since no one at that time wanted them as well so off the to metal recycling it went....

I should of kept them but being young and felt that they took advantage of me when I bought them when i was told they were good an expert looked at them and said they are good but to find out nope they were junk..so I didn't care if they went to to trash ...I was trying to do whatever I could to to save them by welding them well brassing then ,cutting out the diamond shape area, to even use them as is , even trying sleeving them but always was to just find other ones that are not cracked .... so by by they went .....

I remember seeing pictures of the dual judsons on that 67 beetle/ bug and was like yup I want to do that ...but I was told can't be done on smaller engines it has to be at lease 2400ccs but I don't think so .....I could be wrong but if they made it work back in the 70s most likely what a 1600cc or 1700cc or 2180cc because those were the basic build back Than...I like the look of the dual judsons its just pain different .....makes sense but than it doesn't...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: