Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intro/ 58 kombi thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

long time lurker first time poster.

No better way to introduce myself than start a thread with my current project and first bus, my 58 dove blue Kombi. I am already in the process of bringing this bus back to a running and driving state with the help of good friends in the local and not so local communities. The bus traveled from Billings, Montana to Meridian, Idaho after sitting for 25 plus years along with a 55 dove blue Kombi and a 66 deluxe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

This bus came to me via a close local friend who got a line on a couple buses out of billings, Montana. After sealing the deal with Jacob I started researching the barely legible logos on the front doors that I had noticed when I originally saw pictures of the bus. I stared at the logos for a while with them being mostly worn off and tried to decipher what they said but eventually after looking at them every direction possible and and a couple hours on the internet figured out that they are from the " Associated locksmiths of America". I had to dig deeper and try to find out if the bus was owned by a local locksmith in the Billings area. With some luck while cleaning out the inside of the bus the following week I found a non original key that fit the ignition and upon further inspection found that it had been stamped with the name Fischer. I immediately jumped on to the old newspaper archive and searched that name with locksmith behind it and found a match in Billings.

I have removed the original intact wire harness and installed a new much more pliable WW wire harness. I have also opted to strip the black spray paint that covered most of the inside of the bus and some of the outside which I have slowly been working on for the past 5 months. One of the previous owners cut out the bulkhead and the bench seat supports to install some 70's van seats in the front so for obvious reasons those needed to be removed and the bulkhead and seat supports had to be unfuckered using BBT metal courtesy of The Lind. This bus like many others had the deckled and rear pressed bumper robbed off of it so I was on the hunt for a decklid because the rear bumper could take 10 years to find. I found one correct 58 deckled attached to a hacked up double door "trailer" which got sent to Jake "sled' Miller to be fixed and another was sold to me out of The Linds original paint part collection which was also sent to Jake to be fixed. I decided to use the original paint deckled for obvious reasons.

The bus is currently mostly spray paint stripped and waiting on parts to be collected and a motor and trans to be installed. Other vital mechanical will be done in the near future like a full brake rebuild and front end work before it will be drivable but the goal is to road trip it to Lava hot springs, Idaho for its shake down in July.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Wow! Beautiful bus! The patina on it is amazing. Keep up the good work on it!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Looks as if it wants to go pound some trails.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Killer bus, and nice working finding that old ad! Have you tried to track the owner / family of the shop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Sweet bus!! Looking forward to following along!
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Wow cool bus, congrats.
Nice looking PGSG wheel there, any other matching green parts? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

DanM wrote:
Killer bus, and nice working finding that old ad! Have you tried to track the owner / family of the shop?

I joined a Facebook group for Billings and plenty of people verified that the Fischer family used vw’s for their lock and gun shop back in the early 60’s. I also found out the son who took the shop over had just recently passed a few years ago and that they had closed up shop.I did manage to track down another sibling on Facebook but he hasn’t responded to my message. I guess I could always write a letter to him because I would really love to find an old picture with my bus in it hopefully with logos on the side.
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

House wrote:
Wow cool bus, congrats.
Nice looking PGSG wheel there, any other matching green parts? Smile

Good eye! No other pgsg parts floating around my garage though. That wheel was mounted on the 55 kombi that came back from Billings with mine but was also rattle canned black.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Can't believe how solid this old bus looks ! Appears to have og rockers, rear corners, front valance, engine lid hinge panel and even doglegs in og paint ?
Shocked
What a find !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Can't believe how solid this old bus looks ! Appears to have og rockers, rear corners, front valance, engine lid hinge panel and even doglegs in og paint ?
Shocked
What a find !

its a walk in the park compared to the work you are doing on your BD. passenger inner and outer rocker are toast but everything is original paint on the bus from what I can tell. It was sitting for at least 25 years before it came to me.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

I nearly once bought a 57 Ford wagon from Montana, very solid even though it was outside in a junkyard for 30 years. Seems to be very dry high desert area, even with the cold winter (or maybe especially because of it).
my 55 panel also has never been welded before and is 100% og paint, but unfortunately the lower 10" are gone.

Your bus is extraordinary ! Love both doglegs intact, and the longside rocker. Great foundation to build from, enjoy !

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Great find and a very nice basic bus, a ribbed bumper combi in Dove blue with great patina on it!. I guess you have given it a CLR treatment to get rid of most of the creeping surface rust or not? It came out very nice. Are there any rustholes on the roof or in the gutters?
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

ddutch wrote:
Great find and a very nice basic bus, a ribbed bumper combi in Dove blue with great patina on it!. I guess you have given it a CLR treatment to get rid of most of the creeping surface rust or not? It came out very nice. Are there any rustholes on the roof or in the gutters?

No, surprisingly the roof is solid along with gutters but they definitely got baked in the Montana sun. to remove the spray paint and surface rust I used a very gentle paint stripping chemical and 0000 steel wool and a lot of rubber gloves.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Ratshitkombi wrote:

No, surprisingly the roof is solid along with gutters but they definitely got baked in the Montana sun. to remove the spray paint and surface rust I used a very gentle paint stripping chemical and 0000 steel wool and a lot of rubber gloves.

O that's nice, good to hear that. It's looks great on the pictures. Hopefully you're able to bring the logo's back.
If there is some more, deeper rust hiding in the pores of the paint, you could probably wash most or maybe all of it out with CLR. It works great and doesn't harm the paint like some chemicals do, but you probably already know that.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
I nearly once bought a 57 Ford wagon from Montana, very solid even though it was outside in a junkyard for 30 years. Seems to be very dry high desert area, even with the cold winter (or maybe especially because of it).
my 55 panel also has never been welded before and is 100% og paint, but unfortunately the lower 10" are gone.

Your bus is extraordinary ! Love both doglegs intact, and the longside rocker. Great foundation to build from, enjoy !

Montana is a great place for old cars to survive. Snow and extreme cold aren't an issue. It's road salt and high humidity that ruins them. I've pulled VW's from way up north in MT with cacti around them. Crazy but true.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

great score and nice work !
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Tremendously good score!

Congrats, on both on the bus and the exterior and drivetrain decisions
Ratshitkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

Been on a short Hiatus from the bus even though I look at it in the garage everyday. Was able to motivate to get out there this weekend and do some much needed work in anticipation of the upcoming spring and summer.

I decided to remove the split case trans so I can replace it with a big nut trans that has been taking up room in the garage for a few months now. But before I plug that in the engine bay and trans cradle were in much need of a good cleaning so that's what I started to tackle this weekend with a good 8 hours of trans removal and cleaning here is where I stand as of this morning.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro/ 58 kombi thread Reply with quote

love seeing the og overspray pattern in the engine compartment, your bus is a dream come true, thx for posting !

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: