Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throwout bearing???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

it's on my April built '55, all stock. took it for a spin around the block to test the heater i just fixed and all of a sudden the clutch pedal became very soft to press and shifting was almost impossible. i limped back home in 2nd gear, lucky enough to get it into 2nd by matching the engine speed with the gear and grinding a bit into gear. made it to the garage and tried reverse but the grind was too much and the car stalled, had to push it into its place in the garage.

anyway, first thought was that my clutch cable snapped or came off the pedal hook. i took off the pedal assembly, made sure that the clutch cable was on the hook and bolted all back. clutch pedal still very soft and tranny doesn't shift, grinds only. cable moves with the pedal, in and out of boden tube moving the tranny arm, like it should, what could it be, the throwout bearing or something else? i had no prior issues with the clutch or shifting into gear.... thanks for your suggestions and happy holidays!
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

did you control adjusting nut is correctly locked with the locknut? i recently had some issues when locknut didn't lock sufficiently. clutch pedal lost tension when i just drove around the block having operated it less than 10 times.

Last edited by kaieric on Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Most likely that one of the two arms that push on the throwout bearing has snapped. Could also be a failing cable, sometimes when a few strands in the cable break, they become slightly "stretchy".
Doing the arm in the car is a bit difficult, and occasionally the old one can be welded back together, which is good as the early release arm for split case transmissions is not easy to find. The factory just welds them in two spots and they break after 60-70 years.
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

thank you! i will definitely check the clutch cable for fraying/tension and proper lock nut/adjustment before proceeding to the fork/arm which means dropping the engine, which i have never done and am not looking forward to. i hope it's the cable...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Of all the engines to pull, the 36hp is probably the easiest. Smaller, lighter, and less connections to worry about. Hardest thing is the two upper bolts need two people, one to hold the bolt while the other loosens the nut..
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

had time today to check the clutch cable action. as already mentioned, clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor without much resistance and tranny doesn't shift, grinds if trying to put into any gear. clutch throw out bearing arm moves with the pedal/clutch cable. took photos of arm with pedal up and all the way down. tried to remove the nuts holding the cable to the arm but they are stuck, may have to cut the cable to remove and inspect for stretching/unraveling and then replace with a new one of course.

please let me know if you think the action distance looks normal or too short/long. i'm hoping it's a cable issue and not the arm/fork/throw out bearing clips, etc. i really don't want to pull the engine if at all possible... thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Help me out if I'm being dumb or blind but ... where is this bolt??

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
Help me out if I'm being dumb or blind but ... where is this bolt??

Good catch! But then I looked more closely air the pics and I think that the car has a later tunnel style transmission. They don't use the pinch bolt you pointed to for securing the arm, instead it is a splined shaft and arm and there is probably a snap ring under all the grease. Tye giveaway is the bolt had behind the spring at 9 o'clock, it locks the clutch cross shaft bushing in place and is not present on split case transmissions. Get some vice grips on the base of the cable end and some box wrenches to loosen those nuts. Pull the cable before buying another, you'll quickly know what you are up against.
Hopeful that it's a cable, but my money is on the bearing or clutch shaft
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Need to pull engine and inspect TO bearing and fork. Something is off, the arm is leaning towards front of car too much at rest. Looks like the wrong adjustment nuts too (not adding to/causing your problem though). They are probably tightened against each other is why you can't get them off.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

thank you for your help. i will try to remove/inspect the cable first before pulling the engine *ugh!*
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

the saga continues... pulled the clutch cable today. had to cut the head/loop off to pull out the back because the threaded end wasn't going into the bowden tube to allow for pulling it from the front of tunnel.

anyway, even before cutting the head off i saw that one strand had snapped and the cable was unwound as you can see from the closeup pic. also, there was a part of another cable shrink wrapped? to this clutch cable. perhaps someone had used it to pull it through but how? doesn't make much sense.

i'm going to replace it with a new one, install/adjust and see if i can shift again. perhaps i dodged the bullet of having to pull the engine for now, what do you think? thank you

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

That would do it! When a strand or two get broken, the rest of the cable becomes stretchy. The part shrunk wrapped on is weird, but maybe how they pulled the new one in. Fingers crossed
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

any recommendation on which clutch cable to get? this is for an April built '55.

thinking of getting this one,

https://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Cable-Beetle-2267mm-...amp;sr=1-2

loop looks like my old one.... thank you

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

I have heard Empi quality is not so good but I have no direct experience.

I bought this one.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721335
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Genuine VW
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2150318

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

has anyone used this type of clutch cable? thanks

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

It does not look good that is does not have rounded inside edges where the pedal hook has to pivot. I would not use it unless you file the inside fillet like the original.
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
It does not look good that is does not have rounded inside edges where the pedal hook has to pivot. I would not use it unless you file the inside fillet like the original.

well noted. thank you!
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

installed the new clutch cable, adjusted the pedal free play to about .75" and car drives and shifts fine. one odd thing is that the bowden tube bracket on my car is not a separate piece but is part of the transmission housing. i was lucky that it was likely recently changed by the previous owner and was still very flexible, so i was able to bend it out from the bracket loop when installing the clutch cable.

did original transmissions on a '55 have the bowden tube bracket as a separate piece bolted onto the housing or was the bracket non-removable like mine? just trying to figure out what type of transmission i have... thank you.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout bearing??? Reply with quote

The split case transmission used till 1960 uses the separate bowden tube bracket that is attached with two upper case bolts.

1961 and later were the tunnel style transmission, with all 4 forward gears synchronized, and the bowden tube bracket is part of the differential side cover

It could also be a separate bracket that fastens using the side cover bolts

Based on the pic of the clutch arm you posted earlier, I think we figured that your car already had a later tunnel style transmission, correct? Or is it a split case like the first picture I posted?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: