Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Build- Baby Blue
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

Thanks Paul very true. This is my second rodeo with this product and learned a lot on the first one. 60% of the wires are no-brainer. They can only go one place and it’s easy to route 30%. You just have to get creative with and find the best path and then about 10% can be a challenge specifically around the instrument cluster but still a very doable project.

Last night I played around with routing and I think I’ve got it nailed in today. The best place to mount. This fuse panel will be near the factory location. I may build a council around it once the interior is done. All I need to do now is settle on the location. All of the instrument wires and front and wires fit with no issue as do all of the tail light wires. The power wires are all good as well. The only challenge is some of the engine wiring but luckily there’s only a couple that need to go back there for the coil, the oil pressure sending unit, etc

I forgot to order wire looms from Summit racing when I bought the harness and harbor freight came to the rescue not only did they have the 3/8 inch diameter braided looms that I like but it 1/4 of the cost so I was able to get some other supplies as well. I know not all of the stuff is the highest quality but if you shop smart there, I’ve always had good luck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

I continue to chip away at the new harness install. After rough layout, I run all lines to their final destination, but don’t trim the length. Then do a couple checks to make sure I didn’t miss anything and cut everything to rough length. Now I’ve gone around and terminated the lights on all corners as well as the horn, the fuel unit and the brake light harness. All that’s left are the interior gauges and switches which can be the most challenging. I ordered some new switches and they just arrived today so I’ll tackle it tomorrow.

I had to give that horn a little freshen up, took it apart, cleaned it and painted it love those little shiny screws

Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

I am continuing to chip away at the wiring and had a big accomplishment. The other day was actually able to start the motor from the key in the ignition! Nothing burst into flames or send any lightning bolts through the body.

While I’m waiting for more electrical switches, I tried to tackle my wonky trunk hinge. The 74 super beetle has a horrible design prone to wearing and warping. Luckily, the driver side is pretty stable but the passenger side was a mess. I was able to remove it and diagnose the failure. The fixed pin on the body wears out the hole into the hinge mechanism so I drilled the pins out and was able to find a 6 mm flange bolt that fits perfectly. It has a small non-threaded shoulder that fits exactly into the mounting point on the body. Cut off a 1/4” slice Then I bought a 3/8” spring pen if you bore the center out ever so slightly, it fits exactly over the 6 mm bolt, then slightly drill, the hinge mounting points, and it serves as the perfect size spacer. Follow that up with another flange nut, crank it down to almost tight and now she’s perfectly aligned and opens and close nicely. And on top of that it was a $2.60 repair.

Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

Taking a break from electrical and gave some attention to the dashboard today. It was out of the vehicle when I bought it, so wasn’t quite sure how everything went together. The ductwork is quite brittle and old, but most of the parts are still there and I think I figured it out. I believe the 1974 model was the first in this configuration.

The dashboard is held on by two screws on each side, one horizontal one on the bottom and one bolt in the middle by the fuse box. Before removal, you need to disconnect the defroster ducks from the dash as they stay in the car. Two plastic clips hold it in place. Then carefully pry the dash away, leaving the control knobs on the vehicle along with the ductwork. The steering wheel needs to come off as well.

For reassembly, I cleaned everything and gave it a bunch of vinyl treatment and I removed the adjustable vents in the center and both sides of the dash that will make alignment much easier. Prior to installation I installed the central mix, box, the control, module, and the two side defroster And heat diffusers. Unfortunately the ductwork down my ANB column were damaged beyond repair so I may do with some fresh air ducks I had left over one piece was enough to do both sides. The fits not perfect but it should be OK.

The dash was so cracked. I had no choice but to get a cover it’s much shinier than I like but hopefully I can get some natural finish armor all on it a little bit.

The glove box had a bad tear on the side from where someone ran and a tender cable through it since it’s not a visible or structural damage I simply patched it with some black ABS cement from the plumbing store, which works great.

I may have to take it off again as I finish wiring, but it might be there to stay if I’m lucky.
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

I solved the brake light issue my error, and wiring is done, except for the turn signal which I’m still waiting for. Had it running and driving the other day with no glass, what a hoot! The engine bay and trunk are done- headliner and rear and quarter glass are in. Waiting for a new windshield.

I wanted to start an upholstery and had a major score on Facebook marketplace guy was selling complete custom interior from his 67 with two donor front seats and freshly reupholstered rear seat and cards. Mine came with no back seat or cards and the front seats were from God only knows what. So quite an upgrade.

Looking at the sliders that came with the crappy seats clearly they’re not stock before I’ll go by new ones. I think I’ll see if I can rip those sliders off and build a frame, allowing some legroom for any future passengers.

I am curious is that front pedestal meant to be a stock mounting location for the seat? And are those tracks intended to be where the slider goes?

Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

I could not find a donor set of bases that were compatible with the super, and I did not want to buy a universal set. So I spent way too much time and energy fabricating these. They function well giving good support, donator fear with backseat feet, and technically they are adjustable, but not very simple. I’ll drive with them for a while as working prototypes and see how they do. The windshield is due tomorrow with that in place I technically can get this feast on the road for a longer test ride. 😊

Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

She made her maiden voyage today to the gas station. I have the interior in place however it does need some fine-tuning. Everything is working, except I haven’t wired up the turn signals yet they just arrived. I was a little worried about her overheating but no real concerns. The block never got above 170 180°, that marks the end of major construction for this season I’ll pick it back up in the fall when I return. I’m so glad I got on the road before she goes in storage for the summer

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

Looks great! Congratulations!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build- Baby Blue Reply with quote

Fantastic!! Have you considered adding bumper strips and endcaps?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: