Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Went and got a notchback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Still sorting this car out.
It’s a 1963, so it has the defroster tube running up the tunnel, yet the rear seat support has holes for heat like later cars. In this pic from the gallery it shows a heat exchanger with a single tube for the defroster on one side and a single tube leading to a Y vent for heat for the rear passenger.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Given that my pans were done, I suppose it possible they used a later rear seat support. So, if you have the defroster pipe do you ignore the rear seat holes and use the early exchanger which runs heat direst to the footwell vent and to the pipe or was there an intermediary exchanger that ran heat to the footwell, rear passenger vent in the rear seat support and the Y vent? I’m shopping for the heat exchanger so I don’t want to waste money on the wrong part.
Thanks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

The pic you are looking at is of an early 62. Like the 18,XXX notchback ever made. Wink Laughing

Going from the little vent in the center to the two holes in the kick panel under the rear seat is a 62.5 change over. 1963 defiantly has the two holes under the seat. From the first Type 3s to roll off the assembly line in mid 1961 to 1962.5 ish, there were lots of progressive refinements making the 62 very hard to "correctly" restore compared to a 63.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

When is yours built, I mean which month? Mine is from 12/62 and it has the later style baffles with the exits through the hole in the seat support and the defroster tube going through the tunnel. Either yours is a bit older than mine ańd is just before they changed to the new design or someone used older parts to fix the heating.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
When is yours built, I mean which month? Mine is from 12/62 and it has the later style baffles with the exits through the hole in the seat support and the defroster tube going through the tunnel. Either yours is a bit older than mine ańd is just before they changed to the new design or someone used older parts to fix the heating.

April ‘63 I believe.
So, I need a right baffle, if that’s the correct term, that goes to the rocker vents, to the kick panel and then also to the defroster tube, so the right rear would have three branches and the left two?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

That is correct. Part number is 311 255 430A.
The part is shown on page 118 of the "Nov 1963" Type 3 parts manual on this site. Path: Technical / Owners manuals / Type3 / owners/parts/other manuals
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
The part is shown on page 118 of the "Nov 1963" Type 3 parts manual on this site. Path: Technical / Owners manuals / Type3 / owners/parts/other manuals

Thanks!
I imagine it’s going to be a PITA to find…looks like it has a snorkel on top to feed the defroster tube. Guess I could always make my own snorkel if I can’t find one.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:

Thanks!
I imagine it’s going to be a PITA to find…looks like it has a snorkel on top to feed the defroster tube. Guess I could always make my own snorkel if I can’t find one.

Fortunately it's under the seat so you won't see it unless you have the lower cushion out.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Been chipping away at the Notch project. Pan is coming along slowly but surely, spent a full day taking apart and putting back together the steering box (always read the manual first), at home doing some rust repair in this case replacing a rotted bumper mount, buying hard to find early engine parts (thanks Joel), and spending a lot on new engine parts (heads, case, cam, lifters, rods) for my 1776 build.
I’ve been waiting three weeks now for my heater channels from ISP, so until I get those I’ll stay focused on the pan and build the engine and mount it. I figure I can drop the body over the complete pan like I assume the factory did with Type 3. If not someone let me know so I don’t find out the hard way.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I’ve been waiting three weeks now for my heater channels from ISP, so until I get those I’ll stay focused on the pan and build the engine and mount it. I figure I can drop the body over the complete pan like I assume the factory did with Type 3. If not someone let me know so I don’t find out the hard way.

You'll just have to lift the body high enough to clear the rear upper shock mounts. I've done it several times using a 3 point lift set up, working by my self.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I’ve been waiting three weeks now for my heater channels from ISP, so until I get those I’ll stay focused on the pan and build the engine and mount it.

Looks like there's a backorder. Looking into it.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I’ve been waiting three weeks now for my heater channels from ISP, so until I get those I’ll stay focused on the pan and build the engine and mount it.

Looks like there's a backorder. Looking into it.

Thanks!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Got the short block assembled. German crank cut once with AA forged rods in a new case with a Engle 90 cam. Deck height is crazy high so I had to order longer rods from AA to,get a decent deck height.

Since I’m waiting on rods, I decided to attack the left heater channel/rocker.
First step was to cut out the original section behind the B pillar. Had to drill out a few spot welds to get that bracket out of the way, and then a few more to remove the rocker.

The new rocker from ISPis for a later car and isn’t much like the original for an early notch, so I thought I would post my adventures in trying to adapt this to my car.

At least this crucial section matches up.

Next is to cut the funky A to B replacement out and the forward section of the original. Once welded in I will have to chance the heat vent out and plan to weld a plate to the top of the channel and angle it down to get the slope needed for it to look like an early channel. I plan to run the wiring through the gap between the sloped plate and the step in the channel. More pix to follow.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Been doing some more dismantling and chopping. Rust damage is pretty bad and figuring out how it should look with no clear reference points is a pain.
The worst was the lower section of the inner quarter panel, it was roached not far below where the inner heater channel is spot welded to it. All that was left was a paper thin curved and jagged piece which I figured out must wrap around the heat pipe and the attach to the bottom of the inner heater channel? The outer heater channel then attaches to those two pieces meaning three layers of metal there?
Also I’ve seen some threads that shows an inner piece that covers the heater pipe the full length and is then covered by the outer rocker? What is the purpose of that piece?
I did get the left door off and discovered solid A pillars except for some rot on the inner face. Heating the screws cherry hot with MAP and Oxy gas allowed me to get them all out but one intact. I had to drill out the last one but did it dead center and was able to pick what was left of the threads out so my plates are clean and usable.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

If you are willing to pay fo the shipping from Germany, I would give this to you

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
If you are willing to pay fo the shipping from Germany, I would give this to you

Good on you, Michael for the parts! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

This is the end that's different between late and early. I think Michael (mdeg) from Germany has pics of how he fabricated his. Keep in mind you'll need to add the tracks (channels) for the sliding heater outlet covers.
That area gets stepped down almost 8 to 10 inches back, as the cover when open has to have a place to sit. Michael did a really nice job of making them up by hand, and did post some very good photos of the steps he took to make them (credit where credit is due).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

This is the end that's different between late and early. I think Michael (mdeg) from Germany has pics of how he fabricated his. Keep in mind you'll need to add the tracks (channels) for the sliding heater outlet covers.
That area gets stepped down almost 8 to 10 inches back, as the cover when open has to have a place to sit. Michael did a really nice job of making them up by hand, and did post some very good photos of the steps he took to make them (credit where credit is due).

Hi Bob, yeah I saw Michaels’s thread. Super nice work. There was another thread where a guy fanned his, so between the two I should be able to cobble something together. I just gotta keep telling myself it will all be covered by carpet.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

Very generous of you Michael. But I think I can fab the small section I need. Luckily the rest is good.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Hi Bob, yeah I saw Michaels’s thread. Super nice work. There was another thread where a guy fanned his, so between the two I should be able to cobble something together. I just gotta keep telling myself it will all be covered by carpet.

Just be glad you're not working on a VW Thing, as everything gets exposed in them (no carpet).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what are your plans for carbs on the new motor? To try to save you some headache, the early cars have a narrower engine bay and fitting duals is a pain.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742183&highlight=early

I tried as many carbs as I could get my hands on, and recently tried some DCNF's as well. If you run the LHS backwards and notch the tin around the oil cooler, they might work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: