Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The DUNGBTL Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

DUNGBTL wrote:
DUNGBTL wrote:

Group4Wheels out of the UK. I went on their website: https://www.group4wheels.com/store/16-LMZ-Aluminium-Steels-c127677601 and ordered a set of 16x6 and 7’s! ETA is December!

I talked to Jon Chabot owner of TopLine Parts about whether he thought the wheels would fit a ‘72 SB under the stock fenders and he said they would…using 205/55-16 tires on the 6’s and 225/50-16 on the 7’s rear.

Cool thing about those wheels and tire sizes are…1) they are very close to the same rolling dia as the OEM SB wheel/tires, 2) their rolling diameters and sidewall heights are the same front and back (24.9” with 4.4” sidewalls), and 3) they are the same size wheels/tires that Porsche offered on the ‘80’s 911 Carreras! So they’re still plenty of performance tires in those sizes to choose from.

Still on back order…I preordered and paid back in October ‘23. Talked to Group4 several times. Last time (two weeks ago) they (Jonathan) told me he was going to Italy to talk to the manufacturer. Haven’t heard back.

“George is getting angry!” (Seinfeld show quote)

Seriously, I’m getting impatient but I’m building the car ‘around’ these wheels. The whole “Outlaw” vintage Porsche vibe is predicated upon these wheels in my mind…so I’ll wait impatiently!

J.

I feel your pain. Parts even in my business are running way behind. I'm still waiting on a windshield rubber for mine but I'm no where near needing it at this time.
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Drillurium!

I’m converting the front bonnet hinge springs to hydraulic struts. I also wanted to drill out the hinges for weight savings and because…race car.

Let’s get on with it then.

Warning: the hinge spring supports are riveted to the hinges and the springs are compressed. There’s a lot of stored energy in the springs, so be mindful of that when you remove the rivets!

I used a cutoff wheel to grind the rivet head down enough to punch it out with a drift.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I stood in front of the vise as I punched out the rivet and watched as the spring support shot across the garage hitting the garage door! So, for the other hinge, I decided to do a little target practice…READY, AIM,

FIRE!
…way off to the left of the target!

The projectile!

Anyway, please be careful if you’re going to do this!

Enough nonsense…on with the weight savings! Rolling Eyes

4 oz…1/4 lbs of weight savings! At least they look cool! Laughing

Cheers,
J.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

They do look cool!

H2OSB
SnowDaySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

I do love the drillium look!
I have an idea for some bracing on my Syncro that will cross part of a window, so I thought it would be fun to add holes for a modicum of visibility but mostly because I like such details and because I think I could end up with something that is a wee bit stronger and lighter than the original part.

Like your hinges, each structure consists of two stamped pieces of steel. The edges are flat pinchwelds with a hollow center, 20 or so mm deep. My idea is to cut a few round holes, around 60mm in diameter, then dimple them inwards and TIG the rims of the holes together. It looks really cool in my head, but that doesn't always translate to real world results. Time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Laughed out loud at your target practice. Looks cool, but won't the holes compromise the strength of the brackets?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Laughed out loud at your target practice. Looks cool, but won't the holes compromise the strength of the brackets?

For out of plane bending, yes, ultimate strength is compromised. For the mainly in plane bending loads it sees, there is a reduction in ult strength, however it should not have any effect on its function. The ‘chords’ of the cross section (where the two stamped side are joined) carry most of the bending loads. I didn’t compromise those.

J.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Looks cool. I like it .
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

What size bits did you use to drill them out? I was looking at some aluminum billet ones but they want like 500 bucks for them . I might just make some out of aluminum plate .
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
What size bits did you use to drill them out? I was looking at some aluminum billet ones but they want like 500 bucks for them . I might just make some out of aluminum plate .

Used a Milwaukee 1 1/2” hole saw for the first 3, then used a HF 1/4”-1 3/8” uni bit for all others. Used cutting oil to help out. Then spent about an hour w/a hand-held de-burring tool getting the flash off the inner hole edges. Great hand/wrist work out!
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Ok I’m blind. I now see the sizes written on the hinges . Anyhow , looking at the hinges they seem to be a pretty straight shot from where they bolt up to where they bolt up to the hood . I think some aluminum plate might be able to make that work . I’m going to have to try that and see how it works out . Polished with some holesshould look killer. Another idea you’ve given me . One day I might just stop adding things and get this finished before I die .
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

1302R Rear Apron

Another inspired idea from Rome brought to life!

The inspiration…early 60’s 356 Carrera…

…the DUNGBTL’s tribute version…

I plan on making a custom exhaust to mimic the early 911 sport peashooter exhaust so I left the cutouts alone…something like this:

How’d I do it you ask? I got the idea of using a slotted front apron from looking at my own….

$100 later I had a Dutch repo one on my workbench ready for the chop-shop. I cut out slotted sections and after using my fine English metal working planishing hammer and some ancient forest hardwood, removed some of the curvature to match the rear apron.

Then it was a matter of cutting out ‘windows’ in the apron and butt welding in the slotted sections. Followed by hours of carefully grinding down the welds…followed by hours of body work…the aprons residual stresses, created during forming, relaxed when I cutout the ‘windows’…who knew! Rolling Eyes So, some oil canning spots were created. Several heat/shrink sessions and hammer/dolly work was required. Followed by days of primming and blocking and sanding, blocking, priming, blocking, sanding…ad nauseam Crying or Very sad

Thanks a lot Rome! Laughing

RESULT!

Thanks again Rome for the idea. I’m really happy with how it turned out! Very Happy

Cheers,
J.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Suggestions and even recommendations from among theSamba can be either ignored, accepted, or rejected. Some of them can be envisioned by the car owner as feasible. And some even considered favorable. I'm glad that you have the ability to transform a favorable idea into reality. The vents really do look good, especially since they are not visually hidden by your rear bumper!

Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Looking back a ways in your thread, I just realized that your spare engine lid is from a '70/'71 Beetle Karmann Cabrio. It has the 2 center pairs of vents with 2 additional louvers at the bottom to line up with those on the outer 2 pairs. This style will work well with your plan to paint the vents satin/flat black.

Sedan lids with the 4 sets of vents ('72 on) had the center pairs with 1 less row at the bottom probably just like your '72's original lid. All 3 of these have the factory-style sedan lids- vamram's '73, Jorge's red 2003 Mexi Beetle, my '77 with fiberglass fenders and '68 "tombstone" taillamps.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

J, you're damn good at making your mods appear like something the factory might have done.

H2OSB
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Looking back a ways in your thread, I just realized that your spare engine lid is from a '70/'71 Beetle Karmann Cabrio. It has the 2 center pairs of vents with 2 additional louvers at the bottom to line up with those on the outer 2 pairs. This style will work well with your plan to paint the vents satin/flat black.

Exactly! That’s the main reason I used the ‘vert lid. It came w/a set of fenders and floor pans too…part of the spares package I fell heir to when I dragged the DUNGBTL home!

BTW, that’s a sweet trio of Beetles above. Love the colors and wheel choices.

J.
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
J, you're damn good at making your mods appear like something the factory might have done.

H2OSB

Thank you! Very Happy
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

I believe that's one of the best subtle mods I have ever seen.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Are you going to do weep holes on the left and right sides?
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Are you going to do weep holes on the left and right sides?

No. Just the OEM center drain holes.

J.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

That turned out nice . I see you had your hand in body work sometime in your life . Looks like it belongs there . Well done .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: