Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The DUNGBTL Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Rear apron thought: Remember how the ~'63 Porsche 356 Carrera 2 had the vertical slots in its body-colored apron extension? The vertical slots matched the orientation of the engine lid air intake grill vertical slats.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So for your Beetle- how about grafting in horizontal grills taken from either a '72 Beetle spare/junked engine lid, or the wider pair from a '70-'71 Beetle lid? That way such slots would visually match your 4 pairs of lateral grills in your blue engine lid.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Not gonna lie...that looks pretty cool.

H2OSB
SnowDaySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

A way to achieve the short vertical ones like that 356 would be to graft in that part of a Super front apron.

I like the round dimpled holes idea, but the exhaust cutouts make it look too busy IMO. Same goes for any other configurations, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

SnowDaySyncro wrote:

I had a thought that I liked enough to crudely sketch: With the bumper ends now closer to the flowing shape of the fenders, what if the ends were contoured to flow in similar shapes?

So I made a template from the contour of the lower fender and transfered it onto the bumper ends.

But while checking both sides for symmetry I noticed something and it jogged my memory as to why I didn’t follow through with this idea the other day. Looking at the side view above, it looks great. The end contour mimic the fenders.

However, because of the angle of the dangle, when viewed from this direction…

…if cut, the bumper end would flare away from the fender. I don’t like that look. That’s not what I was after. That’s why I didn’t do it originally. It’s a good idea, and I did give it a second look, but, I’m glad I didn’t cut it! Shocked That’s why I just rounded the bottom half.

Rome: Yes, I’ve always liked the look of the C2…an iconic styling feature that clearly distinguished it from the ‘pedestrian’ 356’s of the day! That’s another interesting idea you have! I could get a SB front apron clip and use that grill…

…and artfully trim holes for twin 911 style exhaust. Hmmmmmmm…that could be cool! Would definitely be a level up for my existing body skills though…but I think I could pull it off. I’ll give it some thought.

Hmmmmm, I think there’s a VW junkyard in Yreka CA not 45 mins from Ashland…

Oh boy, here we go! Shocked

Very Happy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by DUNGBTL on Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
A way to achieve the short vertical ones like that 356 would be to graft in that part of a Super front apron.

I like the round dimpled holes idea, but the exhaust cutouts make it look too busy IMO. Same goes for any other configurations, really.

HA! We did it again! SB front apron…my thoughts exactly! Laughing
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Forget the junkyard…

See what you started Rome!

Laughing

…and if I get a pair of bumper bracket grommets (which I need), I’ll be over $100 and get free shipping! Very Happy
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

That Rome is trouble.. but in a good way...

H2OSB
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

This, and so many other forums is a discussion board for ideas, avoiding bored discussions. Wink

Another possibility for vertical louvers on DUNG's rear apron would be the air intake slots from beneath the rear windows of any late Beetle. The slots get longer/taller moving out towards the roof edge. Those could conform to the upward curvature of the engine lid. Or stay with the slots from the center portion for a more uniform height.

I considered such louvers over 30 years ago to graft a short segment into an old "W" engine lid that I was modifying for my Dec. '52 Zwitter Beetle, to mimic the vertical slots on an oval-era Cabrio lid. Those would allow more air to enter because I had a 1600 dual-port engine in the car with doghouse shroud & fan. I had access to a '74 Beetle parts car/body from which I could've cut them, but for some reason opted for the horizontal slots from a spare '71 lid to mimic the look of an early '60's Cabrio lid. I cut, fit, and positioned them, then had a colleague weld them into the W lid. I have no welding abilities.
T1SuperNoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Swweeeet "Subaru EJ25 swap"
I'm definitely following this thread Smile Looking good dude!
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Nice job on the rear bumper and brackets. I lightened the front/rear bumpers on my '69 by drilling 1" holes the entire length of the lower lip. Adds a cool yet subtle look only visible when viewed from the top.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
Nice job on the rear bumper and brackets. I lightened the front/rear bumpers on my '69 by drilling 1" holes the entire length of the lower lip. Adds a cool yet subtle look only visible when viewed from the top.

Do you notice any "whistle" noise at highway speeds, from the air blowing through those holes?
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Kafer_Mike wrote:

Do you notice any "whistle" noise at highway speeds, from the air blowing through those holes?

No. I have driven the car quite a few times on the expressway doing >65 mph with the windows down. Only thing I ever hear whistling is the 48IDFs. Wink
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Speaking of air whistling thru holes…

I remade my Raydyot (yes, that’s how it’s spelled!) mirror mount. I wasn’t totally happy with V2.0. The mirror drooped down from the ‘stalk’…V2.0:

…due to it’s mounting face being parallel w/the door mount face.

I changed the flat pattern so that the mirror flange is now perpendicular to the centerline of the stalk. I like the results much better. And I bought the traditional 4-lobe thumb knob. The industrial look of the knob better suits the “Outlaw” nature of my 1302R…

So nothing new…just a little tweak!

J.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Looks amazing. It's interesting how minor tweak can makes a huge difference. I showed the pics to my kid (15 years old) and now he thinks I need those mirrors.

H2OSB
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Looks amazing. It's interesting how minor tweak can makes a huge difference. I showed the pics to my kid (15 years old) and now he thinks I need those mirrors.

H2OSB

Thanks!
Tell your son he has excellent taste…

Very Happy
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Just ordered this…

…to make this…

…look kinda like this…
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

1302R Apron

Based on Rome’s excellent idea and this 356 C2…

Whilst waiting for my louvers to arrive, I took this time to prepare the apron. I first removed the inner heat shield…

In making the apron removable, I had one attachment per side on the upper apron flange to quarter panel and relied on the clamp-up of the fenders for the rest of the apron retention. On adding the 911RSR hold downs, the rubber tensioners tended to pull out the lower corners of the apron from the fenders. So I made some inner brackets to hold the apron to the lower quarter panels (you can see the two screws on the lower corners of the apron). If I weld in louver panels, those brackets will be in the way.

To remedy this I made to additional tabs to be butt welded to the apron to which I can bolt the lower portion to the quarter panel like the upper portion. I used 5mm Rivnuts…FWIW, I typically wet install Rivnuts using epoxy primer brushed in a deburred hole for corrosion protection.

Wanting to see if the louvers from the front apron would fit on the rear, I covered the louvers w/clear plastic and made a tracing…

The whole louver panel would fit the rear apron like this…

…but in this position you wouldn’t be able to see them from behind due to the bumper. More importantly, any exit air would probably get trapped in the bumper. Not what I intended.

I want the lovers down low like on the 356 C2 shown above. I cut up the tracing and here’s the planned layout…

I also did a lot of hammer and dolly work on the panel to get it as straight as possible before I cut it up! Rolling Eyes

It’s ready and waiting! Very Happy
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Couldn’t work on the rear apron w/the ass end so close to the door…so the DUNGBTL did a 180 in a 20’x20’ garage!

$30 (on sale) worth of Harbor Freight dollies (1K lbs/ea cap) and Ken Block (R.I.P.) couldn’t of turned a tighter 180!

Very Happy
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

Keep going at this rate and you’ll be done in no time. What wheels are you going with?
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The DUNGBTL Build Reply with quote

DUNGBTL wrote:

Group4Wheels out of the UK. I went on their website: https://www.group4wheels.com/store/16-LMZ-Aluminium-Steels-c127677601 and ordered a set of 16x6 and 7’s! ETA is December!

I talked to Jon Chabot owner of TopLine Parts about whether he thought the wheels would fit a ‘72 SB under the stock fenders and he said they would…using 205/55-16 tires on the 6’s and 225/50-16 on the 7’s rear.

Cool thing about those wheels and tire sizes are…1) they are very close to the same rolling dia as the OEM SB wheel/tires, 2) their rolling diameters and sidewall heights are the same front and back (24.9” with 4.4” sidewalls), and 3) they are the same size wheels/tires that Porsche offered on the ‘80’s 911 Carreras! So they’re still plenty of performance tires in those sizes to choose from.

Still on back order…I preordered and paid back in October ‘23. Talked to Group4 several times. Last time (two weeks ago) they (Jonathan) told me he was going to Italy to talk to the manufacturer. Haven’t heard back.

“George is getting angry!” (Seinfeld show quote)

Seriously, I’m getting impatient but I’m building the car ‘around’ these wheels. The whole “Outlaw” vintage Porsche vibe is predicated upon these wheels in my mind…so I’ll wait impatiently!

J.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: