Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Hello all.
A bunch of folks on other forums don't really like the 411. I thought it was cool. Saw a rare one on marketplace and the wife and I bought it.
Inside of the car was a BUNCH of stuff that I'm not going to use.
I'm in Ohio USA, and I plan on cutting the entire body off this VW bus platform and putting it on the floor pan of an Audi TT, SN95 V8 Mustang or even a Subaru something.

(parts leftover are now gone)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by morepowerX10 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

You should post an ad in the classifieds section as we don't allow ads in the Forums.

Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You should post an ad in the classifieds section as we don't allow ads in the Forums.

Thank you.

Crap. Could an Admin please move it for me so I don't mess it all up trying to rewrite it? I'm sorry about that.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

We can't move a Forum posting to the classifieds as it's not a Forum thing - please do an ad in the classifieds section of the site.

Classifieds (link at top of site):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/

Specially - "Place an Ad":
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/add.php

I'll leave this thread in place in case you are going to do a build thread on the car?
Sounds interesting with the pan swap.
You said Bus - The 411 doesn't have a Bus floor pan though.
Buses don't have a removable floor pan either, they are all welded together.

Or if you need help identifying things - I can move this thread to the "General" Forum
I see a Bus/Ghia air cleaner in there for one
I think the roof rack is a Type 3 roof rack that bolts to the roof but could be 411/412 instead?
The jack is a nornmal Bug jack
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

morepowerX10 wrote:
Hello all.
A bunch of folks on other forums don't really like the 411. I thought it was cool. Saw a rare one on marketplace and the wife and I bought it.
Inside of the car was a BUNCH of stuff that I'm not going to use.
I'm in Ohio USA, and I plan on cutting the entire body off this VW bus platform and putting it on the floor pan of an Audi TT, SN95 V8 Mustang or even a Subaru something.

Before I throw this stuff away- I figured I would make a post and see if anyone needs any of it. I'll ship anywhere.

Do not move this post please.....at least for now.

You can post the "stuff" in the classifieds but let's stop for a moment to discuss what you stated you were planning to do with this car.

You noted that you are planning to cut the shell off of a vw bus?

The 411 you bought is not a bus and has no relation to it. It also does not have a "shell" or q pan like other VWs.

It is a full unibody car and one of the first crash cell cars. Years back on the shoptalk forums there was another person who was working on a project along the same lines. It did not survive and went to the scrapper. If you cut the floor out of this car there is no self supporting body structure and it will crumple pretty fast.

About the stuff inside the car.....a lot of it is type 1 bug stuff. A little bit of it is type 4 (411 and 412) some of it is also water cooled vw....looks like Dasher or early rabbit. I will try to detail what is what. Ray

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Well OK! I created a for sale post in the classisfieds, Hopefully I did that correctly.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2649674

Now on to the FUN PART!

I've successfully completed nearly 20 chassis swaps and sure- the majority were body on frame swaps. I'm experienced in basic engineering and I assure you you, I've had a look under this thing. Now- I assumed that because it had a bus type engine or axles or something, that it was closer to the bus than the bug. But, I'm not a VW guy. More of a V8 Hemi or V8 Coyote swap guy.

I was told it had bus parts, so I made an assumption. No big deal there, I hope. My saw & grinder will not know the difference.

My plan for this vehicle looks like this:
Strip the interior completely out except for the dash and the headliner. Weld in 1" square tube braces and one large "X" brace in the back. Leave the doors on and strap this thing through the door windows and gently lift it in the air. Once I do that- I will begin to make surgical cut lines below the bracing. Once I remove the entire floor and drag it outside- I'll look at what type of NEW suspension pickup points I'll need to fabricate.

Based on what I see so far, I'll be making tubular upper shock/strut towers for the Subaru (or whatever I choose later) that will occupy a new space inside the 411 shell, which I will build covers to blend into the old interior..
The rest of the NEW floor pan & driveline will be welded with fabbed pieces and bracing all the way around the old body, welding them together. This is nothing new for me... Done a bunch of 'em.

I might do a full roll cage- but that's only if I go the V8 mustang route. It all depends on what I find locally, cheap enough.

Being new to the forum, I get it. Nobody wants to see a solid old shell scrapped. Believe me when I say- this thing is getting back on the road.

I've done a Maserati Biturbo with a Lexus 1UZFE swap, about 15 Hemi Durango chassis swaps, A crazy 120hp snowmobile powered hovercraft, Several LS swapped things, one was a huge Ice cream van that pulled a teardrop camper carrying it's own high voltage diesel generator for the commercial kitchen equipment. So making sure this tiny can doesn't go all "Journey to the bottom of the sea submarine" on me- I'll be careful.

Sure- I'll do a build thread on this site, no problem. Image hosting is easy enough & sorry about the classisfied ad. Smile
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Holy cow! You have a real mix of VW parts there. See some water-cooled stuff also. I really like that oil bath air cleaner from a late split bus. Someone will pay good money for that. Is that a sunroof car? That would be very rare. It also may have had a roof rack. I see some rack parts on the ground.

This is a unibody car. Good luck slicing it apart as Ray mentioned.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

morepowerX10 wrote:
Well OK! I created a for sale post in the classisfieds, Hopefully I did that correctly.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2649674

Now on to the FUN PART!

I've successfully completed nearly 20 chassis swaps and sure- the majority were body on frame swaps. I'm experienced in basic engineering and I assure you you, I've had a look under this thing. Now- I assumed that because it had a bus type engine or axles or something, that it was closer to the bus than the bug. But, I'm not a VW guy. More of a V8 Hemi or V8 Coyote swap guy.

I was told it had bus parts, so I made an assumption. No big deal there, I hope. My saw & grinder will not know the difference.

My plan for this vehicle looks like this:
Strip the interior completely out except for the dash and the headliner. Weld in 1" square tube braces and one large "X" brace in the back. Leave the doors on and strap this thing through the door windows and gently lift it in the air. Once I do that- I will begin to make surgical cut lines below the bracing. Once I remove the entire floor and drag it outside- I'll look at what type of NEW suspension pickup points I'll need to fabricate.

Based on what I see so far, I'll be making tubular upper shock/strut towers for the Subaru (or whatever I choose later) that will occupy a new space inside the 411 shell, which I will build covers to blend into the old interior..
The rest of the NEW floor pan & driveline will be welded with fabbed pieces and bracing all the way around the old body, welding them together. This is nothing new for me... Done a bunch of 'em.

I might do a full roll cage- but that's only if I go the V8 mustang route. It all depends on what I find locally, cheap enough.

Being new to the forum, I get it. Nobody wants to see a solid old shell scrapped. Believe me when I say- this thing is getting back on the road.

I've done a Maserati Biturbo with a Lexus 1UZFE swap, about 15 Hemi Durango chassis swaps, A crazy 120hp snowmobile powered hovercraft, Several LS swapped things, one was a huge Ice cream van that pulled a teardrop camper carrying it's own high voltage diesel generator for the commercial kitchen equipment. So making sure this tiny can doesn't go all "Journey to the bottom of the sea submarine" on me- I'll be careful.

Sure- I'll do a build thread on this site, no problem. Image hosting is easy enough & sorry about the classisfied ad. Smile

Ah!

As long as you understand that you will have to probably build a frame for it and tack it in before you swap it onto another chassis.

No, not really that worried about another one biting the dust though its sad....but you are at least keeping the form!

By the way....no...it does not have bus parts on it. Its the other way around. Wink

The 411 came out in 1968 and was its own unique car family. Later on, VW put basically the same exact engine into the porches 914. Then, the bus got a heavly "detuned" version of it in 1972 through 1979. Same engine case...very different guts.

The transmission...do NOT throw that away. Its a Borg Warner type three speed. It came from the VW type 3...which was the fast ack and squareback...similar looking to what you have but guts based around the type 1 beetle and they had a pan.

The transmissions do not grow on trees and you can make a few hundred just selling it to type 3 guys.

The suspension parts and interior and gasoline heater are worth listing for moderate to low prices...or just give them away to people willing to ship.

The 411 and 412 for the most part have unique parts so restoring them is VERY costly. Most people who are working on them.... its a long term thing and they do not just have tons of money to pay the kind of prices you see type 4 parts listed for. Thats why they stay listed for years and never move....and eventually get scrapped. Its kind of sad. Eve though its a rare car....it has a small market.

One unique part that is laying in your pictures is the shift rod and plastic disc on it. There were maybe 4000 cars shipped to North America that used the 4 speed transaxle which was totally unique. Someone who is doing a conversion will need that.

Let me know if you need help identifying or pricing parts. Ray
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

I'm just glad the parts are getting a chance at new life in another project. If nobody needs them by the time I'm ready to call the scrap guy to pick up the steel from the swap, they'll be right in the pile with it. If I kept everything from every vintage vehicle I've built, I would have a literal junkyard instead of a garage.
Not trying to be mean or disrespectful to the VW parts, it's just time & space are crucial around here.

Keeping the "form" of the car is exactly what we want. We want it to look like a 1972 but take off down the road like a little race car Smile

I'm going to look at a potential donor this morning. I'll keep the forum updated.
Smile
412STi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Hello
First: What you have in mind is nothing new and has already been done here in DE. A 411 Variant became a 997/411 version. Cost close to 1/4 million Euros to make it street legal.
https://www.speedheads.de/auto-news/th-vw-411-vari...09110.html

We can't save everything, but your car looks complete and has a rare sunroof.
My suggestion would be to spare this car and get an example from a junkyard that looks worse. These are usually bad at the bottom anyway and it wouldn't matter cutting them up.

The oil can not be, was none in it.
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

412STi wrote:
Hello
First: What you have in mind is nothing new and has already been done here in DE. A 411 Variant became a 997/411 version. Cost close to 1/4 million Euros to make it street legal.

My suggestion would be to spare this car and get an example from a junkyard that looks worse. These are usually bad at the bottom anyway and it wouldn't matter cutting them up.

Wow that car looks great but that's not what I'm doing at all. They kept the same basic layout, rear engine etc.
I'm changing the entire sub structure by going Front Engine. I just brought home the donor car. Oh and there are None of these in our junkyards lol Hell, this is the first time most of us have even SEEN one of these, let alone several to choose from. Nobody loved them over there- even fewer were sold here.

More as it happens- I've got to go unload the trailer Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

morepowerX10 wrote:
412STi wrote:
Hello

Wow that car looks great but that's not what I'm doing at all. They kept the same basic layout, rear engine etc.
I'm changing the entire sub structure by going Front Engine. I just brought home the donor car. Oh and there are None of these in our junkyards lol Hell, this is the first time most of us have even SEEN one of these, let alone several to choose from. Nobody loved them over there- even fewer were sold here.

More as it happens- I've got to go unload the trailer Smile

Mmm....not quite.

Vw sold ~120,000 of them in the USA from about August 1971 to mid 1974. Right at 20k per year in the US not including Canada and about 4200 gray market. They were actually pretty popular among those who owned them but they were EXPENSIVE for their time. They cost a few hundred bucks more than a Cadillac or a Lincoln in those days.

There were issues with the private VW repair networks as well that beat on the popularity a bit. They suspension was totally different/alien to what any other aircooled VW had ever had. Along with complex gasoline heating, fuel injection that private mechanics had not even gotten their heads around from the previous type 3.....and very short vehicle warranties in those days.....some of these became hard to maintain money pits at private mechanics.

Actually one of the better driving, riding and faster acvws built. Better engine (aluminum instead of magnesium with better heads, cooling and built in oil filter) strut suspension, with rear trailing wishbones and coils, good brakes, unibody with safety crumple zones......ahead of its time in 1968.

It had strange styling by US standards, was too expensive and had too much competition. But it was very comfortable, smooth, roomy and quiet compared to all other acvw and was very comparable to Volvos and Saabs of the day. Ray.

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

I stand corrected by the experts as usual lol

At any rate- I've just re-measured the donor vehicle and it's going to fit Perfectly. Wide gnarly stance, exact same wheelbase and room for the strut towers.

When I get the donor cut down to the floor level I'll post some pics.
These are not nor have they ever been high dollar builds but let me tell ya- I get em done and they're back on the road in record time. Reliably.
The history of the 411? Doesn't mean much around here. As a matter of fact, it'll get rebadged as ? I'll come up with something fun no doubt.

Smile
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Keep us posted. This will be interesting.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

morepowerX10 wrote:
I stand corrected by the experts as usual lol

At any rate- I've just re-measured the donor vehicle and it's going to fit Perfectly. Wide gnarly stance, exact same wheelbase and room for the strut towers.

When I get the donor cut down to the floor level I'll post some pics.
These are not nor have they ever been high dollar builds but let me tell ya- I get em done and they're back on the road in record time. Reliably.
The history of the 411? Doesn't mean much around here. As a matter of fact, it'll get rebadged as ? I'll come up with something fun no doubt.

Smile

When you are dealing with the strut towers....take a look around. There was/is a crumple zone. The sheet metal is VERY thin in the front end in the zone....typically not much thi ker than 0.032".

The struts on these vehicles were a strange early design. Easily the longest strut and spring combination I have ever seen. So if you end up putting some kind of strut system back in from another car, you might need to make extender seats for much shorter struts or maybe go to transverse A arms. Ray
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

If anyone is reading this and wants any of the parts in the above pictures, they're gone. I saved a couple things I thought I might need, and have the full trim for the 411. Everything else is in the great scrapyard in the sky.

On to the build:
I have selected a full floor pan/chassis donor. It's a 2002 Subaru Forester. Front engine, AWD and makes 165HP. Same wheelbase. I'm basically doing a complete floor pan swap. Everything will in fact fit under the 411, but the entire body of the Forester, is too wide.

No problem, I'll "capture" the strut mounts, weld them to the floor of the Suby and cut the body off. Nothing new here...

I saved the roof rack, I like the patina. I might do a full rally car livery on this thing, not sure yet.

morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

I've captured the tops of the rear strut mounts with 1&1/2" steel tube, welded to plates and positioned them directly over the strongest parts of the Suby floor pan's boxed sections. Worked perfectly, nothing moves except the suspension.

I welded everything half way for now, and cut the rest of the rear body off. The back end will now fit under the rear of the VW 411 shell. The front end??

Oh that needs to be narrowed as well. If you've ever seen a unibody drag car with a "front half" tubing struture capturing the suspension- this (much like the rear) is what I'm doing. I'm also replacing the big side rockers and firewall structure with 2x3 rectangle steel and tubular supports over the front strut turrets. All of this will fit nicely under the 411 shell. The Subaru dash is leaving, although I may insert the Suby dash cluster into the 411 dash.

If anyone is concerned about "crumple zones" lol you've not seen our youtube channel. We're former FMX motorcycle jumpers/MX Racers and oval track racers, BMX ramps/MTB jumpers. If you're worried about how this will behave in a crash test- stay home. This thing is for fun and trust me when I say- it'll get a real roll cage and 5 point harnesses IF it does anything beside hooning around the private property.

Last edited by morepowerX10 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
morepowerX10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Oh! I almost forgot- I picked up some rad little wheels for this thing. Complete with good snow tires. Blizzaks, in fact. I prefer BFG all terrain KO's but this will do, for now.

I'll update this thread in a few days, the holidays are starting next week... y'all know how that goes.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to the VW world & I just got a 411 Reply with quote

Cool!

Oh...almost forgot to mention. If you are going to use the interior from the 411...be careful what you tear up as you remove things. Aside from a few switches and teh steering wheel and a couple of steering column parts....the 411/412 interior parts are unique to the car. Don't tear up things you might want to use.

That being said...really good headliners kits are available. I can send you links. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: