Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off Road Super Fat Chick
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

I had a project with These beautiful Avery arms that never quite mad it on the road. The body was a mess.
I am using a body lift kit and the link pin head is already extended a few inches.
More pictures if this works.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

The front link pin.

Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

avwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Looks like the same project I'm building, 69 Convertible that was too rotten to save otherwise, converted to link pin, warrior beam & 3x3 arms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

AVWA

I already have a 71 with a link pin and the bus trans. the rails on the side of the convertible. it will hide the body lift. I like that my super has the rack and pinion. Just picked up my widened beam. Hope to assemble soon.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Just so you know...
There are wider than stock fiberglass fenders out there. IIRC Creative Car Craft in Florida, and there was someone else I saw a couple of years ago.

IF you're interested in keeping it full body. You DID say Super Fat Chick, So I thought Maybe???

If you're going 3x3 rears, the rear fenders could be cut at the top and a couple of inches of length added with out much difficulty to cover the wheels. That would be pretty sick.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

I am keeping it full fendered and will be buying the widest fronts i can find. I have swapped fronts for the rear and customized them. they are wider and look perfect with the longer trailing arms. Will be posting the some pictures soon on the progress.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

So i have to cut a 4x4 area out. My beam is set out 4 inches longer. If i did not lengthen it no issue there.
The beam i have is 3 inches wider, wirh the 1 inch wider trailing arms that matched my 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 rears.
With my mock up it looks like i will need a 6 inch wider beam. Thats 8 inches total more than stock. An inch and a half wider than the rears on each side.
Maybe make up the difference with the rim offset. I will by some springs for the shocks before i go amy further.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

So i have the pan and body together with the body lift. So far... so good. The body lift is not noticeable behind the bottom rails!

Link pin fits great!

I extended mine 4 inches.
Now the Rack and pinion!

Hhhhmmmm....
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

The rack fits. Im pretty empressed! Still not going to work. I need to make some modifications and cut the tunnel a little. A picture to show the space

Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

So here it is with the stock rack and pinion. The body and pan are still 2 inches apart. It fits amazingly well. Couple issues to work out but. I think a super has some cool benefits for off road link pin conversion.

In fact i would have went wider if only. 5x5 rears and 8 inch wider beam... maybe next project.

I need to flip the pinion on the rack (hope it can be done) so it is closer to the firewall and cut a couple inches out of the tunnel.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

So the super rack and pinion is opposite what is needed for link pin. Instead of the tie rods connecting to rear of the tire, it connects at the front... i guess i will be looking for a different rack and pinion set up.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Love those tires tread is perfect not too aggressive. Norsemen? Is it a 15 or 16 inch rim?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Tire came with rim, 15 inch. I am probably going to run 4x16's.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

So i cut the spare tire area to get a rack and pinion in. SACO is no longer in business.... UGH!

Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

I went with the Kartec rack and pinion. The combo spindles were a fortune but i am running a heavy full body so Kartec performance here is a good investment.

I am putting pan to body, i am using the 3 inch body lift.

TIPS
I. had the bolts from a previous lift. They are 3/4 longer and help A LOT.
2. Cut the body lift where they weld ot in the back.
3. Cut your rubber in crosses using the lift as your guide on the siderails. It holds it all in place!
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Body lift in...

So far the super beetle is a great way to go. The convertable has the extra side beams which make it real strong compared to my 71 standard with body lift.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Shout out to Kartec for their R&P and combo spindles.
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Off Road Super Fat Chick Reply with quote

Installed my latest rage arms. I had to drill the holes for the through rods (weird) and cut the the trough rods down to fit my 3 inch wider beam. Putting off the fodril spindles till i find some ball joint backing plates and figure out what i want to do with the rack and pinion. The stock arms will take almost 2 packs of the shims. With the fodril you use 12 per link pin.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: