Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello Samba experts, could use some help. Just bought a 74 412 wagon project in California. I knew it did not have the original engine in the car. Another engine was installed, but was not complete and not running. We are tearing it down and rebuilding it and appears we can save it. I have a few fuel injection parts but missing most of them. They threw in dual carbs with manifolds if I wanted to go that route. My Vin for the wagon 464 20451** shows its a late 74 car, the engine shows EC0148** and looks like its a very late 73 engine. Based on what I've seen online can't tell if it would be an L-jet or D-jet motor. Also, don't see how we could run carbs based on the pedal set up, no throttle cable, tunnel for the throttle cable, etc. I saw that they still made carburated 412's during that period. We are building a runner, not doing a high end resto like my T34 and Ghia vert so just want to get it running as cheaply as possible. Based on how much of the FI system I'm missing very concerned about going that direction. Any feedback on which FI system an EC motor should have and if its possible to do carbs on this car if we wanted would be really helpful. Really appreciate any expertise on this.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Hey Big Mike,

Looks like one of the dreaded California wagons with the low compression engine. These were all AFC fuel injection… Air Flow Controlled, L Jet. This has an automatic trans, correct? Too bad most of the injection parts are missing because that would be the way I’d go. I am no carb conversion expert, let Ray Greenwood chime in on this. It would be beneficial to know if anything has been done to the engine. Unless you are using the Solex carbs that were designed for the type 4, I am not sure you will be happy with the outcome.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Thanks for the note. Yes its an automatic, Engine is not original, but likely sourced close by in CA. We are doing a full engine rebuild as we speak, keeping it stock (flat pistons low compression). Since so much of the FI is missing and the electrical is a mess, would prefer to convert to carbs to save some major heartache and make it a driver. Would love some feedback from someone that's done the conversion successfully since the pedal set up looks so different than Type 1 and Type 3 VW's. I would assume its doable since there appears to have been carburated 412's during that same time period and I would assume the chassis are the same, but who knows. Also if its possible to source all the L-jet parts at a reasonable cost we are considering that as well, but I don't have the parts book showing everything we need for that era L-jet. It's really a cost and heartache issue which way we go. Type 4's are new territory so any advice would be welcome.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
Thanks for the note. Yes its an automatic, Engine is not original, but likely sourced close by in CA. We are doing a full engine rebuild as we speak, keeping it stock (flat pistons low compression). Since so much of the FI is missing and the electrical is a mess, would prefer to convert to carbs to save some major heartache and make it a driver. Would love some feedback from someone that's done the conversion successfully since the pedal set up looks so different than Type 1 and Type 3 VW's. I would assume its doable since there appears to have been carburated 412's during that same time period and I would assume the chassis are the same, but who knows. Also if its possible to source all the L-jet parts at a reasonable cost we are considering that as well, but I don't have the parts book showing everything we need for that era L-jet. It's really a cost and heartache issue which way we go. Type 4's are new territory so any advice would be welcome.

So, 411 and 412 were never shipped to the US with carbs. This does not mean that there were "0" carbed 411's and 412's. They would have only been able to get into the US via "gray market".....probably as tourist vehicles, picked up in Europe and brought back to someplace other than the US (Mexico or Canada) and driven here.

They would likely have been from England. I have only seen one factory carbed type 4 in my life. It was a 411 2 door with manual trans. Really rare here.

The stock carbs were used on 1.7L on the first year or two of the bus. I will have to look but it's possible you have a bus motor in your 412.

The original 411s in Europe with 1.7L....circa 1968 -70....some with twin carbs.....early ones had flat top pistons. I "think" compression was ~7.8:1.

1.7L buses here as well as California 411/412 had 7.3:1 with dished pistons.

If your engine has flat tops, and you remove the factory head gasket and base shim, you should be able to hit -~8.0:1 compression and it should run well with twin carbs.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Thanks for the background. I might not have dug deep enough on my car to confirm, but don't see how the carbs would work with the current pedal system and if there is a throttle cable tube (plumbing) to run a throttle cable from the pedals to the engine compartment to even do it. If I can get a parts book with the L-jet information for my car I can see if I can source the parts to go FI, but since so much of the FI is missing, no clue on the parts needed to do the L-jet on it. If anyone has the exploded view of the fi system for a 73 or 74 wagon with corresponding part numbers for the L-jet that would help. We are just rebuilding the long block currently, so have some time to decide what I'm doing. Thanks for the feedback and if any Samba folks have access to the info on the parts that would be awesome!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
Thanks for the background. I might not have dug deep enough on my car to confirm, but don't see how the carbs would work with the current pedal system and if there is a throttle cable tube (plumbing) to run a throttle cable from the pedals to the engine compartment to even do it. If I can get a parts book with the L-jet information for my car I can see if I can source the parts to go FI, but since so much of the FI is missing, no clue on the parts needed to do the L-jet on it. If anyone has the exploded view of the fi system for a 73 or 74 wagon with corresponding part numbers for the L-jet that would help. We are just rebuilding the long block currently, so have some time to decide what I'm doing. Thanks for the feedback and if any Samba folks have access to the info on the parts that would be awesome!

All of these cars had throttle cables. The differnce with carbs is that the cable runs a cross bar linkage with heim joints that connects both carbs together.

You should see a steel tube sticking out of the drivers side of the tunnel in the back. It had another tube that plugged onto that and connected to the backside of the firewall to feed the cable through. Ray
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, that is super helpful. I'm going to do a deeper dive on the car and locate the cable tunnel. Hoping I can also get the info on the L-Jet (exploded view with part numbers) so I can do some hunting for parts and decide the best route to go based on cost and heartache. Appreciate the help.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Just curious, has anyone thrown in an aftermarket EFI in a stock 411/412 ?
Could it be an alternative to searching for old (and mostly) worn components?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Just curious, has anyone thrown in an aftermarket EFI in a stock 411/412 ?
Could it be an alternative to searching for old (and mostly) worn components?

Lars S

I believe that a couple of people have over on the STF. In fact I ",think" Wally used either megasquirt or a European aftermarket system.

If it were not for the fact that I spent decades learning to work on D-jet and I can make it run better than stock on a slightly warmer than stock 1.7L.....I mainly keep it for originality sake. Think of it as a rolling museum! Very Happy

But, if I were still driving it as a daily driver like I was back in 2000.....I would go to an aftermarket EFI AND ignition system keeping the stock runners and plenum and TB just for reliability and not having to pay as much attention to it.

Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

The L-jet is essentially the same as the bus L-jet, using all the same parts excepting the wiring harness which is vehicle specific do to placement of the ECU. I was able to install an entire bus L-jet into my 411 sedan without much problem though.
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Thank you that is very helpful to know. I think we are going to try to do the FI set up, just hoping I can track down all the parts I need for it.
wonkipop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

californian air resources board emission certification for the 74 L jets.
(bus, 412 and 914 1.Cool.

lists all the main super important part #s etc.

all three share the same ECU and the same AFM.

the dizzys are different. (914 has the double advance/retard vac can - i know from photos that 412s only had the advance can).

probably the throttle bodies are different than the 914s. 914s have vac retard port and vac advance port on t/b either side of throttle plate. 914s had no EGR unlike the bus and the 412 which did. bus and 412 seemed to have slightly different EGR set ups and different dizzies. don't know enough about those but at least some of the parts are shared i common with 914. different intake hose between aircleaner and t/b than 914. but top half of air cleaner box is same, bottom half would be different depending on the 412 whether a variant or sedan. its possible that 914 intake hose is shared with sedan 412s as the air cleaner sat up higher in those similar to a 914. the decel valve is likely the same. pretty sure 412 has a decel. fuel pressure valve same. fuel injectors identical apart from hose on injector. 914 is curved up, 412 is flat. might have different fuel rails as a result. crankcase ventilation similar but 412 has no oil filler like 914.

you can get many of the 914 parts but some are evaporating.
for instance the dual relay that controls the fuel pump. unobtainium except for NOS and ridiculous scalper prices. but ratwell has a diagram to make one up yourself out of two relays. think the 412 has the same dual relay.

cht , cold start injector, csi control sensor, etc would be same as 914.

its a great little system L jet. but like D jet some of the parts are now all of a sudden drying up. some of the bits for the 412s might be harder to source than a 914 as less aftermarket repro interest. but what is shared can be found fairly easily.

only shared with a 74 914. the 75s changed and use a different ECU and AFM with other changes. but them that know what they are doing do seem to be able to mix and match in the combos that work,
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the background and parts list. This will be helpful in tracking down what we are missing once we get the long block done and are ready to get it running.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Actually the 412 and 914's used the same TB casting. Some has slightly different drillings added.

There were 411 and 412 with D-jet and 412' with L-jet that used both single and double action advance cans. They were not "vehicle" specific....they were "location/delivery point" specific.

I have written a lot about the 411 and 412 advance cans over the years. There were a staggering range of advance cans used. There is no one "exact" advance can spec.

Add to this that there was a pretty good range of distributors used...again location, year and transmission specific....and each had several vacuum cans that may have been used....again...delivery location specific.

There were also advance cans that the dealer could and would swap in if it fixed minor running issues on a vehicle being used in a specific location or climate.

It was a performance tuning issue.

At some point in time, moving into the mid 70's...it appears that VW stopped this practice of changing what a car had on it to match the climate or altitude or temperature of a delivery location. This was probably due to emissions requirements.

Just from 1968 through the first month of 412 after August of 1972 there were six carbureted distributors and six fuel injection distributors even before getting into L-jet.
There were 6 different vacuum cans listed. Each fit roughly two distributors. It does not means they could not be used on others they were not slated for as a tuning practice.

Ray
wonkipop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Actually the 412 and 914's used the same TB casting. Some has slightly different drillings added.

There were 411 and 412 with D-jet and 412' with L-jet that used both single and double action advance cans. They were not "vehicle" specific....they were "location/delivery point" specific.

I have written a lot about the 411 and 412 advance cans over the years. There were a staggering range of advance cans used. There is no one "exact" advance can spec.

Add to this that there was a pretty good range of distributors used...again location, year and transmission specific....and each had several vacuum cans that may have been used....again...delivery location specific.

There were also advance cans that the dealer could and would swap in if it fixed minor running issues on a vehicle being used in a specific location or climate.

It was a performance tuning issue.

At some point in time, moving into the mid 70's...it appears that VW stopped this practice of changing what a car had on it to match the climate or altitude or temperature of a delivery location. This was probably due to emissions requirements.

Just from 1968 through the first month of 412 after August of 1972 there were six carbureted distributors and six fuel injection distributors even before getting into L-jet.
There were 6 different vacuum cans listed. Each fit roughly two distributors. It does not means they could not be used on others they were not slated for as a tuning practice.

Ray

yes - its quite an area of almost unfathomable detail mr g.

my old aus spec 72 type 3 variant (twin carb) had an advance can distributor from memory. i don't think any VWs down here ever copped the double cans.
the retard can was purely an emissions device from what i can work out.

i had to finally get my head around the double action can when i got hold of my 914 30+ years ago. only more recently did i begin to fully understand its function.

in the case of my 74 49 states 914 1.8 it purely operates on the engine at idle to cut NoX (at steady state cruise its retard + advance operating to produce net advance) - with the added "benefit" of making the engine run hotter at idle (in a traffic jamb). exhausting the heated cooling air from under the middle of the 914 is not exactly one of its strong points either. Very Happy

when it came to the 74 L jet 914 all the usa wide models used the same distributor.
all they did for 914s in 74 to make them emissions legal for california was to unhook the advance side of the can from the advance port on the t/b.
they plugged the port on the t/b (or didn't drill it, but that is unclear as so few original delivery condition cars survive) and they tucked the hose from the distributor under the intake plenum and left it open to atmosphere.

this meant the californian 914s also had slight timing retard (through vacuum) acting on the engine at cruise. making them produce less NoX at cruise. but running hotter. and slightly less sweetly and smoothly as well as being less economical with fuel.

you could turn a calif 914 L jet into a 49 states L jet by just hooking up the hose. which is what i think VW north america was doing. they could move cars around in the market place with a simple hose adjustment and slap the right emissions sticker on in the engine bay. Very Happy which is what they might have been doing. the supply of L jet for 914s was given second place behind the supply of L jet components to VW for the 412. 412 might have been falling off the cliff in terms of sales figures at that point, but it was still being sold in much bigger numbers than 914s. we did discover that they didn't even start making Ljet 914s until nov 73. 3 months into production commencement for 74 MY.
all the bosch components available were going to the 412 first. the 412 is numero uno for the L jet. first car with it ever.

i have come to realise just how important the distributor (and in particular the vac can) was in terms of being a primary emissions device in the early days of emissions standards. all of which was pioneered in the USA - no where else.

in the rest of the world we just looked on and waited until it was proven by the guinea pig owners in the USA. i take my hat off to the USA regulators. in particular i take my hat off to VW who had the foresight to pioneer electronic fuel injection with Bosch and to back the system.

----

as to 74 412 L jets i know nothing. never seen one. apart from photos of the engine bays that i looked into as part of 914 L jet research. but its a different set up in some of the anciallary pieces. i can see that from the photos. most of the L jet photos i have seen appear to show that its a single can distributor.
but of course they may not be original distributors anymore in the images i have seen of cars.

they definitely had EGR (at least for california) but they may not have had EGR for the 49 states. it is interesting that the 914 did not use EGR for california like the 412 did. it seemed to be able to get away with unhooking the vac advance connection to get there.

regarding specific locations of cars (ie climate conditions) the 914 did it with an altitude compensator i think. trying to remember. some of the cars were fitted with an extra piece of electronics that adjusted the L jets. or i may be getting confused with D jet. i'd have to look at the factory workshop manual, but i think there was something even for the L jets for high altitude locations.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

The way I understand it, the retard can is there so you can have more intake air flow during decel and idle without having an overly high idle speed, thus helping to reduce emissions.
wonkipop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The way I understand it, the retard can is there so you can have more intake air flow during decel and idle without having an overly high idle speed, thus helping to reduce emissions.

that is true.

there is always activation of retard when ever there is engine vacuum.

it does activate retard only when you suddenly back off and close the throttle from speed.

the decel valve is controlling the descent from idle in an L jet and primarily in an L jet it is to stop the AFM flap from bouncing back so quickly it momentarily shuts off the fuel pump. they may have used the decel valve differently in D jet.

but primarily the retard can of the dizzy in the 914 L jets is being used to reduce emissions at standing idle in a 49 states 74 914. and its quite ingenious how it snaps straight off as soon as you open the throttle to take off. otherwise the car would stumble.

but only the 74 49 states 914 ever activated the advance vac can.
the advance side of the can was larger than the retard side.
so the net effect whenever you had engine vacuum that could influence the port above the throttle plate was a net advance. ie stronger advance influence - weaker retard influence = nett advance. which meant at cruise the 74 49 states engine would do the old fashioned VW thing of advancing the timing way out at steady state cruise. cooler running. slightly better fuel economy. smoother running and response to throttle adjustment. instantly coming off that vac induced advanced if your floored the throttle etc. mr greenwood would have the full explanation for VWs use of advance cans. but it was ingenious stuff.

so in a 74 L jet 914 49 states car you kind of got the best of both worlds.
emissions standards on 49 states cars in the USA were specific.
they were testing the cars at idle and reducing NoX emissions.
standing traffic in city conjestion was producing Nox the main ingredient of photo chemical smog. its what the EPA went after first as the standards were gradually increased each year. California had had the same standards the year before and in 74 were going after Nox reduction at steady state cruise.
this happened for the rest of the USA in 75.

as far as i can understand it, in the case of L jet 914s, unburned hydrocarbons on deacceleration were dealt with by a combination of the retard pulling back timing (later combustion) and that unburnt fuel being ignited in the area of the cylinder head behind the exhaust valve in the upper section of the exhaust outlet.

extra air involved was via the decel valve.

may have had something to do with reducing emissions.
but in the case of L jet, the extra air from the decel valve was mainly to stop the AFM flap bouncing back too quickly and going too far. this cut the fuel off to the fuel pump as the pump was activated by the flap. the decel valve stopped that descent from idle from occurring too quickly and the phenomina of the momentary engine dying and then springing back into life.

these days you have to adjust an old decel valve to get them just right.
either idle will stick high at 2000 or so or will do the engine die and come back to life trick if its not set just right.

of course all this would be completely different on a d jet.
its not working off measuring air flow directly.
i know very little about d jets.
pretty rare for australian cars of that era.
only a few up spec type 3 fastbacks ever had it and most of the systems were ripped off years ago and do not survive.
a few other exotic lancias and saabs got d jet. thats it.

my L jet 914 causes old VW mechanics to get excited whenever they see it. Surprised
mostly because they have never seen the primitive first version, though they have heard of it. its not on any cars sold here. cars here got the much much later evolutions of L jet.

but having said all that, i really don't know how it works on a 412 L jet.
its a different beast because its set up for a full auto transmission.
a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to deacceleration.
holding engine idle at standstill in drive. etc.
so its not going to be anything like how its set up on a manual transmission 914.
wonkipop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

i had a look in the factory manual for the 914 which has a very thorough section on L jet which is hard to find for other VW models with it, but its all there for the 914 specific engines and the only thing that L jet needed for varying locations geographically was a barometric compensator. it could be fitted to cars that operated 1000 metres above sea level. or about 3,000 feet in imperial.

thats it - L jet only needs to know air density and air temp. (know thats a simplification - engine temp etc too, but in terms of the intake business its air temp and density that lets it know what the air coming in is doing).
air temp is measured by the sensor in the AFM which is just in front of the intake section into the flap chamber.

i am guessing that all the 412 original AFMs would be like the 914 and these early AFMs had non serviceable temp sensors. later rebuilt units would have had this updated.

the EFI wiring loom would be 6 pin from AFM to ECU as per 74 914s.
but it may be a different length as the ECU was in a different place in a 412.
but the plugs either end would be the same.

there is some way you can use a combo of 74 and 75. not sure i have this right but i think you can hook up a 74 AFM with a 74 six pin loom to a 75 ECU.
think thats right. not something i have ever had to do as i am still running my factory original set up. its lasted 50 years! military grade spec - testimony to Bosch and their over engineering. anyway if you had to there is a way to mix and match the AFM and the ECU but the combo only works one way.

there was no adjustment or different kinds of dizzys on the 914 L jets across the whole USA market. all the same dizzy. just whether the hose was hooked up or not. purely an emissions thing. to certify for california.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

And...bac2 t6 the wierdities of distributors for a second....and switching back to D-jet....then we have the 1.7L 914 cars that showed up with the advance can #917 stamped on the arm....with an adjusting screw to limit/adjust vacuum advance.

This also has shown up on a few of the 412 Two door with manual trans.....and I have no part number for this advance can after all these years. Its a double can...advance and retard....and advance is adjustable.

I have also used it to great effect on an L-jet injected 1.8L. Its usefulness is that if you are running higher than stock idle and/or higher than stock idle timing...just at the fringe of kicking in vacuum advance, it limits the total advance available so that you do not over advance. This was excellent for the higher compression engines.

Ray
wonkipop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 412 wagon question Fuel injection vs. carbs Reply with quote

Big Mike Cbad wrote:
Thank you so much for the background and parts list. This will be helpful in tracking down what we are missing once we get the long block done and are ready to get it running.

no problem.
always liked the look of the 412 variant. very pretty little car.
good luck with it.
be worth putting the L jet back on if you can find the bits.
both the L jet and the 412 are significant cars from a technological point of view, and sadly all but forgotten these days.

only ever seen one 412 variant in australia.
came in as a consulate car.
to the best of my knowledge it may still exist.
metallic blue.
wouldn't have L jet. would be a twin carb 1800 euro spec.
pretty peppy engine. 85 hp with high compression pistons.
if i had room in the garage and i ever saw it for sale i would almost consider getting hold of it but who knows what condition its in these days if it still exists.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: